AXIOMS and the YAMAHA RX V2400 + Stryke Sub

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by DaveAr, Dec 13, 2003.

1. DaveAr

DaveAr Stunt Coordinator

Okay first off I am an Audiophile idiot and a virgin. Having that said and cleared here is my query:
    I just finally got to setting up my first HT. My setup includes the Yamaha RX V2400, Axiom M22's in front, Axiom VP150 center, Axiom QS8's surrounds, and a Stryke Audio Mini Thunder Sub, which has a 350 watt amp. Now with all of this "power" I am genuinely disappointed in everything. But I know it is from lack of knowledge, and experience with the equipment that I cannot get these tweaked. There appears to be NO "true" bass from the sub, and all the speakers don't sound right. Y'know they sounded a little better when I first hooked them up BEFORE using the auto calibration feature. But now, I feel disgusted. I did find thru reading and calling that the auto calibration does not work well with the sub setup. I just don't hear the distinct sounds in the surrounds, the "BOOM" of the bass etc. I am very weak at this, I read the manual and it seems like I need an engineering degree. Would I be better served having someone come in and calibrate this, or can someone in laymans terms assist me. I would love to finally play with this toy, but right now I am so frustrated I play the satellite thru regular TV. Any help believe me will be MUCH appreciated. :b

2. Marc H

Marc H Second Unit

Hi Dave,
    Have a read through of the review at audioholics on the '2400. You should find a lot of the info useful to get the beast set up: review]http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/avhardware/YamahaRXV-2400Receiver-p1.html[/url]

3. Marc H

Marc H Second Unit

4. Sheldon C

Sheldon C Second Unit

hmmm... Try the simple things first. Maybe your speaker wires are switched causing you speakers to play out of phase. Make sure your cables are hooked up right. I don't know much about that sub, so I can't help much there, but I'm surprised the speakers don't sound good. I have a yamaha rxv3000 receiver with axiom m60 speakers and it sounds fantastic.

Are your speakers out from the side and rear walls? Are the tweeters at ear height when you're sitting?

5. DaveAr

DaveAr Stunt Coordinator

No, Wiring is fine. It's the setup that needs to be tweaked, the calibration of the speakers is what I need to learn how to do. Y'know it all sounded better BEFORE I used the auto setup. Once i used auto setup, it leveled all the speakers down and suppressed the bass. I hate going into something REALLY blindly. I guess i'll read and figure it out.

6. Sheldon C

Sheldon C Second Unit

Hey Dave,

it could be that your ears are used to bloated bass, I know mine used to be. I never realized it until I bought a pair of Grado headphones. After getting used to how they sound (and loving them) I no longer enjoyed listening to my speakers. The had no clarity, muddy bass, and poor imaging (being able to hear where the instruments and voices are). So, I did some research, bought the Axioms and now I enjoy them even more than the Grados, depending on what mood I'm in.

On the other hand, maybe these speakers aren't for you. Give it a couple weeks, you can always send them back if they don't grow on you.

7. Roger Q

Roger Q Stunt Coordinator

DaveAr,

I've had a 2400 for about two months now. It's my first 5.1 or 7.1 system.

I've got a 5.1 system set up. When I bought the house I'm in I inherited in-wall speakers up front and in-ceiling for rears -- Polk Audio all the way around. I bought a Polk CSi40 for the center speaker. I've got a Velodyne CHT-12 (temporarily -- I've order an SVS PC-Plus 20-39).

I used the auto calibration. Then, after reading the forums I purchased a Radio Shack Analog SPL meter to go along with my AVIA calibration disc. I think the YPAO is nice for distance and some other aspects, but I did not find the speaker levels being calibrated appropriately. Albeit, I was continuously making changing changes to the set, e.g. adding a center, adding a sub, changing between large and small, so it' possible that I did not recalibrate using the YPAO enough.

I believe your speakers are definitely superior to mine. Also, my guess is that my room is very accoustically challenged, e.g. hardwood floors w/ only one small rug, six windows plus two double glass doors, a large opening to another large room and another opening to an additional room. Even with those constraints my system sounds good/decent.

Recommendation: I would highly recommend you get an (1) AVIA calibration disc (Crutchfield.com is one source) ~$35-40 and (2) a RS SPL meter (you may have to buy a digital one as the analog are being discontinued)~$35. Use those two items to calibrate your speakers including the sub. Hopefully, it'll sound good. If it it still is disappointing then you may want to try developing some frequency response curves for the room. Don't worry that you may not know how to do this at this point. If you need to you can search the forum and lots of info.

8. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

Here's one thing you might also try...go into your receiver's setup menu and set all speakers to small and send bass to the sub only. I find my system sounds much better like this, it takes a load off the main speakers and they play cleaner since all bass is redirected to the subwoofer. This puts a bigger demand on the subwoofer but you have a great sub so it shouldn't be any problem for it.

Calibrated levels are not somthing you have to stick with, I(and most others) usually crank up the sub level a bit(most set it ~2-3dB higher), also usually set my surrounds higher by a dB as well.

9. John E Janowitz

John E Janowitz Second Unit

Hi Dave,

You will need to set all the speakers to small or you won't ever get much of anything out of the sub. I don't particularly have experience with the Yamaha receiver, but there should be a way in the menu to bring up the test tones. If it is like the majority of other receivers you can adjust the level up and down for the one speaker then move on to the next. Sit at your listening position and by ear you can get a general idea on where the levels should be without any measurement equipment. Do all 5 speakers first and the bring up the sub level to match. This is done in the Level Check portion of the auto config.

Looking at the review, you are also going to want to EQ everything back to flat. You never know what the auto EQ thing does. Go in and set the response to 0dB at every frequency in the YPAO (Yamaha Parametric Room Acoustic Optimizer). You can adjust it later, but you need to rule that out as an option for making everything sound bad.

So basically go in and reset everything the auto config did. Maybe there is a simple way to do that. Then manually set your levels on all 5 channels and then bring up the sub.

John

10. DaveAr

DaveAr Stunt Coordinator

Thanks guys. John, I left you a message at Stryke forums.
    I haven't got to the resetting yet. I was working. I found some good advice also on the Axiom forum as well as here. That's what I love about these places, picking several minds at once in order to rectify/clarify problems.
    I hope to try thr recalibration Monday. Will keep all posted.:b