Axiom's aluminum drivers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Imants Krumins, Aug 21, 2001.

1. Imants Krumins

Imants Krumins Auditioning

Dec 5, 2000
    I have been thinking about new speakers and the ones from Axiom seem to be well reviewed. One of the things that interests me about them is that they feature aluminum midrange/woofers (6.5" on most models).
    As I cannot listen to them in advance, does anyone have any opinions on these speakers or on the driver technology?
  2. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

Jul 27, 2001
    I have a pair of M50s for fronts, a pair of M3s for surrounds and a VP100 center. To my ears, they sound great. In fact, I've had them for a month now and they seem to sound better with every passing day. However, in reading what I have to say, please keep this in mind...I'm very new to HT and have not had the pleasure to be able to audition a vast number of speakers. Therefore, I'm only comparing them against a few lower end speakers.
    My listening is mostly HT, but I like to crank up the 2 channel stereo every few days. On all of the speakers, the highs are crisp and detailed, but never sound harsh. I have paid particular attention to cymbals and brass instruments...they come across clearly without sounding "tinny." I have not experienced the ear fatigue that is sometimes associated with titanium tweeters...I have listened to them for extended periods of time with no problems. For HT, I send all low frequencies to my sub, so I can't really comment on the M3's or VP100's bass output, but when using the M50s in stereo, the bass is tight and musical. I have listened to some speakers that had nice highs and deep bass, but really lacked in midrange. Not so on the Axioms...the mids seem to strike a nice balance between the highs and lows. These speakers also sound very quick and responsive to me. I suppose this can be attributed to the use of aluminum woofers(?).
    All in all, I think these speakers represent great value. I'm sure there are better speakers out there, but not at this price. It seems that this company has put a lot of their money into R&D and build quality rather than advertising, which keeps their pricetags pretty low. I feel that I've taken a huge step towards getting the sound I want without taking a huge chunk out of my wallet. I have not had any bit of buyer's remorse since my purchase and plan to pick up another pair of M3s for the surround back channels of my 7.1 system.
    Good luck!