Axiom?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Bill Mullin, Apr 20, 2004.

1. Bill Mullin

Bill Mullin Stunt Coordinator

I've been reading great things about Axiom speakers in the Axiom message forum, but that's no surprise. I was wondering if anyone in this forum has used them and what you thought about the sound quality. I'm particularly interested in hearing from anyone who has used M80's for fronts, and/or QS8's for surrounds, and/or M22's as rears. I'm also interested to hear if anyone has ever run tests comparing Axioms with the JBL Studio Series. Don't bother reporting on their subwoofer because even the Axiom users are buying SVS subs! [​IMG]

Thanks, Bill

2. Rob Kramer

Rob Kramer Second Unit

M80s are 4-ohm. You have an amp that can handle that?

3. Bill Mullin

I have a Sony DA4ES, according to the specifications 4 ohm is no problem.

- Bill

4. Joey_V

Joey_V Second Unit

i never used the m80s, but i have the m22tis and am planning on getting either the qs4 or m2i for surround sound duties.

my take on the m22ti? theyre not that good, decent if at all....JUST KIDDING!!! quite the contrary in fact!! read on!

i have tried several speakers, from klipsch, polk, jbl, athena, vienna acoustics, bostons, paradigms, yamaha (BLECH), bose (double BLECH, does this even count as a speaker?), infinity, sony... the list goes on.... but these m22tis have a sound beyond the ones i listed.

the first thing you will notice about the axioms is its transparency. these speakers do not seem to color the sound, if at all, the sound is as close to the source - your amp, receiver, player being the bottlenecks for your audio's transparency. also, the amount of detail this speaker belts out is very excellent, not unlike paradigms - i think the m22tis compare favorable against the paradigm reference 20 or 40 bookshelves (albeit the lowend may not be as great) which are $800 and $1100 respectively. the reason for this transparency? the m22s, m60s, m80s and i think the m2s have a very very flat frequency response. i know for a fact that the m3s, m40s, and m50s have a hump around the low, mid-bass region - so they are immediately off my list for clear transparency.

the highs are sweet and clear - crisp even, thanks to the titanium tweets! the mids are beyond the klipsch i have at home, beyond most anything i have heard of, and certainly beyond any speaker i have had in my possession so far... details, details, details! the bass is lacking - but we are talking about a bookshelf here, the m80s will not dissappoint in this bass area - i can guarantee u that!

also, these speakers have an enormous sound stage - wow! i can sit back, close my eyes, and picture the musicians in front of me - with adequate spacing between instruments... no overlaps! if the source is good, the speaker can make it seem like the sound is coming from OUTSIDE the speaker... something hard to find in a vast majority of speakers - except my klipsch, because of the horn loaded tweet.

lastly, i can attest to the speaker's control - even at loud volumes, the sound remains together, if anything, the m22 sound even better at higher volumes. this is not to take away from the m22's ability to play great audio at low volumes... no no no, these speakers, my friend, are so detailed that even at low low volumes, i can still hear the intruments in the background along with the vocals. my previous speakers would only yield the vocals at similar listening levels.

overall, if i had to do it all again - i would not regret, think twice, or even look at the other speakers i was looking at before - i would still buy my axioms... again and again and again. i have them atop 31" omnimount cosmic stands with the tweeter just an inch or two above my ear and boy.... it sounds great! i love my axioms!

i would like to have demoed the maple finish tho - black is nice, but maple is different.

SVS + AXIOMS = bliss bliss bliss :b

5. Jeffrey R

Jeffrey R Stunt Coordinator

Bill,

Axioms really are great speakers. I really can't say it much better than Joey did, so I'll second his description. By the way, I use M22's, VP150 QS8's and an SVS PB1-ISD sub.

I've listened to lots of speakers, and the Axioms just sound great. Outstanding mids and highs, with a nice tight bass. Of course, the M22's really need a sub to shine, so that's where the SVS comes in. The two blend seamlessly together, and the M22's end up sounding like a full range speaker, with the SVS not drawing attention to itself.

So, I would recommend the Axioms without hesitation. Of course, some people prefer different sounding speakers. But if you like an open, airy, detailed sound, Axioms are a fine choice. Best of luck.

6. Bill Mullin

Wow, thanks to everyone for the information . . . sounds like Axiom offers a nice product! As soon as my tax refund arrives, I'll place my order.

BTW - I didn't mention in my original post, but my HT was recently relocated from a small room to a HUGE room. The JBL Studio speakers that sounded so great in the small room just don't cut the mustard any longer, which is why I'm again looking for upgrades, while at the same time I'm going to enhance my sound system from 5.1 to 7.1. But I really hate the audition process, which is why I'd like to start with "keeper" speakers if possible - from what I've read here and in other places it looks like Axiom might be a good choice. Oh - I've already started the upgrade by selling my Velodyne HGS-12II and buying a pair of SVS 16-46PC+'s!

Bill

7. John_Griff

John_Griff Stunt Coordinator

are axioms sold in any brick and mortar stores?? or just through their website.

8. Jeffrey R

Jeffrey R Stunt Coordinator

Just direct through their website.

They have a section in the forum on their website devoted to people offering auditions, so if you are interested in hearing before you buy, you can check to see if there is someone in your area willing to let you listen before you buy. The list is in the "Questions and Comments" area.

In the alternative, they have a 30-day audition period with no risk other than having to pay return shipping. So in the worst case scenario that you really didn't like the speakers, you could return them and get your money back and just have to suck up the return shipping.

9. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

One thing to consider when using 4ohm speakers with the 4ES is that there's a switch on the back to set to 4ohm. It's essentially a current limiter, so you won't get any more power by using 4ohm speakers, but it does put out the same amount of power in 4ohm mode as in 8ohm (110wpc rated, around 90watts actual if i remember correctly).

Hope this helps [​IMG]

10. Bill Mullin

It's been some time since I read the manual or looked at the back of the 4ES, so I just checked out the manual again. It says that even if you run a single 4 ohm speaker, you must set the switch to 4. Since the M80's are 4 ohm and the QS8 and VP150 are each 6 ohm, it looks like I'll be moving the switch!

Thanks for the tip!
    - Bill

11. John Stone

John Stone Supporting Actor

I've got the Axiom VP-150 center, a pair of QS8 surrounds and just today I received a pair of M2ti speakers which I installed as rear surrounds. I'm happy with my current mains, but I plan to upgrade them to a pair of M60ti speakers at some point. My sub is an SVS 20-39 CS powered by a Marantz monoblock.

Tonight after I finished installing my new rear surrounds I demoed a bunch of stuff using PLIIx. Wow. The upgrade to 7.1 was well worth it! [​IMG] The Axioms sound absolutely incredible. The first chapter of 2 Fast 2 Furious really does a great job of showing off and testing any speaker system. I played it at reference (!) and the gear shifts sound absolutely amazing through the VP-150! The surrounds and sub also get quite a workout with this DVD...

The Axioms (and the SVS, of course) have proven to be an excellent investment. I'd gladly buy them all over again. You won't be disappointed!

12. Rob Kramer

Rob Kramer Second Unit

One guy on the axiom forum ended up paying a return shipping cost of $150 for the M60s (lighter than the M80s).

13. scott>c

scott>c Second Unit

[​IMG]