Axiom, yes or no?!?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MarkWC, Nov 25, 2002.

1. MarkWC

MarkWC Stunt Coordinator

I have spent a considerable amount of time researching the Axiom line of speakers. However, it still seems they aren't endorsed as many of the more expensive line ups. They seem to have an above average build, components, sound, and a decent price to boot! Are they inferior, or just not as popular?

Does anyone have any experience with these speakers, good or bad?

I can get their best bookshelves (M22), best center (VP150), best rears (QS8), and a SVS 25-31 PCI for around $1500.

I feel so close to making a decision, but yet so far in the same sense.

2. MarkWC

MarkWC Stunt Coordinator

bump, any feedback would be great!

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Get them. In their price range, I would not consider them inferior at all.

4. Curt Gilker

Curt Gilker Agent

Mark -

Axiom is clearly marketed as "budget audiophile" and IMO they succeed admirably. Unlike some other speaker manufacturers that produce both "mass" commercial and audiophile product lines, Axiom is focused on buyers who desire high quality at affordable prices.

IMO, the way Axiom keeps prices low is to keep overhead low, and eliminate audiophile "preening" (whoops, my bias must have slipped in there, sorry). This means: direct marketing via Internet, no bizarre designs, no "56 layer lacquered, hand-rubbed, exotic wood cabinets", etc....

I own the M3Ti, and believe they are very good quality, especially when considering price. In addition, their customer service is outstanding.

"However, it still seems they aren't endorsed as many of the more expensive line ups." True, their advertising budget probably doesn't get them as many product reviews as those more expensive line-ups, but it's your money and your ears that must be satisfied.

They do have some very strong, positive write-ups. I assume you have read those.

5. Jeff Kohn

Jeff Kohn Supporting Actor

If you search you should be able to find quite a bit of positive feedback about Axiom in this and other forums. I think they offer excellent bang for the buck and sound very good.

6. Jeff Kohn

Jeff Kohn Supporting Actor

If you search you should be able to find quite a bit of positive feedback about Axiom in this and other forums. I think they offer excellent bang for the buck and sound very good.

7. MarkWC

MarkWC Stunt Coordinator

I have considered the M60's but have chosen for the M22's for multiple reasons. The two most influential reasons are shipping and cost. Since I live in Bermuda I would have them FedEx, however bigger packages mean more expensive shipping costs, around $150 more. The second comes in two fold, the first being the front end cost and the second is duty. I pay 25% duty on the buying price. Sucks in more ways than one.

However, I have read numerous reviews regarding the M22’s being able to fill even the largest of rooms. Mine is approximately 15 x 22. I have Bermuda Stonewalls that I believe should enhance reflection and acoustics. The SVS should be enough to cover the bass limitations of the M22.

I have heard the M22’s are very neutral and accurate. That seems to be a winning combination for me. I am a little worried about the TMMMT of the center channel. I have heard that manufacturers deter away from building center channel speakers with this design. However, it seems this would create better off axis balance. Does this sound right??

I am just worried, even with their factory direct mentality and low budget marketing (just like SVS), that not enough people have jumped on the wagon especially considering their quality and price. I believe the only reason more people do not buy SVS is because of their design, not their performance.

BTW – I am 75% HT and 25% music.

8. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

They are good speakers, the only thing I would be concerned with is with stone walls they may be very "bright" I found them to be a little harsh on the high side.

9. MarkWC

MarkWC Stunt Coordinator

Can this be adjusted, or managed??

10. Heath_R

Heath_R Stunt Coordinator

I have M3's front and surround with a VP100 and a SVS 20-39 and I am very happy with the setup. For the money I see no better value besides DIY. I would do it over again in a heartbeat and recommend them to anyone with the same budget.

You may want to look into some DIY wall treatments and some rugs. It does not matter how good of a speaker you put in a room with stone walls, the room treatment will make or break it. I know I saw where one guy had made wall treatments with a fiberglass panel in a frame covered with cloth and it worked very well. Search the internet and look in the DIY forum.

11. Jason Co

Jason Co Second Unit

Mark,
    As far as the decision between the QS8's and bookshelves for you rears, I think the decision will be made by your room. My room doesn't really allow me to use bookshelves effectively so I went with the QS4's (quad polar). The quad polar surrounds afford you a great deal of flexibility. If you are limited by your room setup I would highly recommend the QS8s.

Jason

12. Jeff_Fitz

Jeff_Fitz Stunt Coordinator

MarkWC:
    Good to hear from someone from Bermuda on this board. I lived there from 1994 to 2000. Haven't been back for a visit yet. Hope all is well down there.
    I recently purchased the Axiom Epic Micro system (Axiom's smallest package) with an additional QS2 for my 6.1 setup. This is my first surround setup and I am very happy with it.
    I bought my speakers from Marc Hallam at The Audioshop in Ottawa, Ontario. Marc's customer service is top notch. He patiently answered my many questions and offered plenty of advice. Marc gets a lot of great press on this and other HT boards. Since he is a dealer, he will be able to do better than Axiom.com's MSRP pricing.
    You can check out his website at http://www.audioshop.on.ca. Tell him Jeff from Halifax sent you. [​IMG]
    Hope that helps,
    Jeff

13. Bry_DD

Bry_DD Second Unit

i think you'll be happy with your choice. I have the M60ti and VP150 with SVS 25-31cs and i can't be happier with them.

14. Warren_Sc

Warren_Sc Second Unit

Has anyone compared the MZeroTiSe or M1TiSe to the M2i? I already have an SVS sub and I am looking to replace my L/C/R and rears. The SVS should be able to cover the lack of bass in the smaller speakers.

The room is about 15x18x9.5 and the HT will be in one corner.

Also, has anyone used the smaller speakers instead of the QSx series?

Thanks,

PS This is getting fun...

15. MarkWC

MarkWC Stunt Coordinator

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Obviously, the most difficult part of my purchasing decision is not the up front cost. It is buying something blind and hoping that it will be an adequate fit to my surroundings.

Does anyone think I should reconsider the Axiom purchase because of the potential “brightness?” Marc, from Audioshop, has recommended Dahlquist, but all my previous research was strictly Axiom.

I would like to avoid paying an additional 50% of my purchase price for shipping and duty and to find out they sound terrible in my home. Am I taking a big risk getting aluminum woofers and titanium tweeters with stone walls?

16. Steve WC

Steve WC Stunt Coordinator

Listen to Marc, he will not steer you wrong!![​IMG] [​IMG]

17. DonaldZ

DonaldZ Extra

For about 10 days I've had M22ti fronts, VP150 center, M3ti rears, and an SVS 25-31 PCi sub. I saw your thread the other night and was a little too busy to reply.

With the sub, I did not feel that I needed large floorstanding speakers. The M22s are pleasant on their own without the sub for simple stereo listening. The Qs would have posed a location/mounting problem for me, and I wanted the choice of ceiling mounting if I liked the pending brackets that Axiom is developing, so I went with the M3s for the backs. Additionally, the reviews for the M3s were positive in much the same way as the M22s.

The speakers do open up a bit and sound warmer after a few days. I'm not sure what the fuss is about with brightness, but I'd guess that it's either critical listening before properly breaking in, or that the electronics in the chain are contributing. I'm using an HK 520, FWIW. I'm very pleased with my purchases.

18. Ben Jordan

Ben Jordan Stunt Coordinator

Ben
    Just wanted to add my 2¢ on Axiom... I own the M50 mains, VP150 center, and QS8 surrounds (and SVS 22-32PCi sub), and am *extremely* happy with their performance.

Every night after work, I come home and spend some relaxing time listening to them with a broad range of material, depending on my mood. Recently got SACD and DVD-A playback capability, and have been thoroughly enjoying those formats.

My Axioms continue to impress even my pickiest friends, and they are always blown away by how little I have spent on them. I demo them with pride to everyone!

19. Davie_T

Davie_T Auditioning

Mark,
    I just purchased the Dahlquist speakers from Marc. Customer service is top notch. Shipping.. ordered on Monday, received on Wednesday. All the items double boxed.
    I contacted Marc concerning the Axiom's and he provided me information concerning the feed back he received about the Dahlquist line. Having never heard the Axiom's I really didn't have a baseline to compare. So, after reading what some others thought on this forum and Marc's client feedback I decided on the Dahlquist. I just unboxed them today and began the journey.... well, the WAF was %100... so, it doesn't matter what I think =).
    These speakers sound great. I won't rant with adjectives.. I will just say I would buy them again in a second. For this price point, I would be amazed if you are not %110 satisfied. I believe the Axiom's were a tad higher in $$.
    I think you would be happy with either speaker based on the feedback in this forum. I just wanted to provide some Dahlquist info since it is not as prevalent as the Axiom's. [​IMG]

20. Rory

Rory Extra

Get the Dahlquist's from Marc. I've got a 6.1 Dahlquist set-up and I'm very, very happy (QX4's front l/r, QX40C center, QX100S sub, QX20R's rear l/r, QX4 rear center).

You can't beat the quality/sound for the price and there is no one better to deal with that Marc @ Audioshop.

Cheers!