axiom warmth

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Sam Robertson, Aug 3, 2004.

1. Sam Robertson

Sam Robertson Stunt Coordinator

I have the vp100 and m22tis. I've noticed they arent as 'warm' as I wanted. I'm running off of an avr125 receiver. Anyone else notice this?

2. DavidCooper

DavidCooper Stunt Coordinator

I have never read any review that stated Axiom's were a "warm" speaker. I have heard "detailed" and somewhat "forward"..but never warm.

3. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

If they are still within the return period, I'd return them and look elsewhere. Like David I've never heard anyone claiming Axiom to be warm at all. If anything I've heard detailed, neutral or bright which is an indication of your tolerance to high frequencies. To me they were fatiguingly bright when I heard them last.

4. Sam Robertson

what would be a good 'warm' speaker I could consider for the price? I'd need a center and two mains.

5. DavidCooper

What kind of price range are you after?

6. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Try the Rocket ELT system...they are more laid back which might be what you are looking for.

7. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

The ELT system is not warm either...a tad warmer than Axiom M22's....but not actually characterized as warm.

If you step up to the ELT CSe...that may be a different story.

8. DavidCooper

Yep..I've never heard the ELT system but I have never seen anyone say they were "warm" either. They probably aren't forward or bright...but not warm or laid back.

Same goes with the Swan's....not bright and not warm IMO...but for sure not laid back or muffled.

The only internet speakers that hands down have been in the warm area have been the Rocket line. Pretty much everyone says they are a warm or laid back speaker. Mainly the 250's , 550's, and the 750's.

Personally I prefer accurate and neutral over something tipped down in the warm area....but I know it's all subjective!

9. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

There really aren't that many "warm" sounding speakers at the lower price points. I think it shows what the market at that level is asking for. Generally at a cheaper price point most of the speakers I've seen vary from neutral to bright. I think that has to do with a presumed younger generation of listeners who often don't have a ton of money and who like their music loud and fairly bright(exciting).

Then again this is only a guess really. I haven't seen that many warm sounding speakers for budget systems.

10. Kevin*Ha

Kevin*Ha Agent

The ELT LRS's are definitely not warm. They may be more neutral than the Axioms but I wouldn't classify them as 'warm' like I would some other speakers. On the other hand the ELT Cse's are definitely a step closer to 'warm'. I really hate using that term since it can imply so many things but generally I think I know what you mean. They have a much fuller upper bass and midrange which makes them slightly less transparent, which is how I would generally describe a 'warm' speaker. Either way you might want to check them out since they seem to be in your price range. Of the ELT line they are the closest to the sound of the Rocket line.

If that doesn't do it for you you might check out some 600 series B&W's, although I'm not sure that will do it either. Shame is pretty much right when he says that in this price range there aren't an abundance of 'warm' speakers.

Edit - I want to mention that because a speaker is 'warm' doesn't inherently mean it will lack detail, you might just find that the detail is sometimes overwhelmed by the boost in the mids which sometimes tend to overshadow the high end. A good example of this is Dynaudio Audience speakers (which I love). They are very detailed but the upper bass is so prevepant that sometimes it can wash over the higher frequencies.

Anyway, good luck to you!

11. Sam Robertson

I watched LOTR ROTK today, the axioms did a great job. Very very detailed. Slightly bright, but as they broke in they became more mellow. I find them neutral but especially detailed. I lthink I shall keep them [​IMG]

12. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

What's on the walls at the first reflection point from where you're sitting and are the floors carpeted?

13. DavidLW

DavidLW Stunt Coordinator

Warm??? Detailed??? Forward??? Neutral??? Bright??? Transparent??? More mellow??? Laid Back??? Muffed???

Sounds like an audiophile review out of Stereophile or TAS.

Where's all those posters that criticizes how Stereophile, TAS and the likes uses "nice" describtive words to describe sound when what you're really hearing is "distortion" caused by paying too much for your equipment. [​IMG]

14. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

It is more likely you getting acustomed to the speakers. Axiom claims their speakers do not "break-in".

15. Sam Robertson

That could very well be. I also would like to note that my paradigm atoms match very well to the axiom sets. I also played the atoms and the m22tis back to back, the m22tis are considerably more detailed and precise.

16. Andrew*L

Andrew*L Agent

This is one of the pitfalls of selecting a speaker from an online manufacturer: its more difficult to audition them.[​IMG]

I know, in theory, its possible to get better value this way, but it also makes it harder to listen to the speakers firsthand.

Yes, you can get a general idea of the characteristics of a speaker from talking to others, or reading reviews, but nothing is going to give you the level of detail and honesty like a personal listening session will.

At the very least, listening to the manufacturer's model lineup, if not the actual model you're interested in, is better than nothing.

17. Shiu

Shiu Second Unit

I recently replaced my Polk Audio RTi38 with a pair of Energy Veritas. Relative to the RTi, I would consider the Veritas "warm", without losing out on "details". I also listened to the budget priced Energy Connoisseur C-9 and the Mirage OM-9. They are definitely "warm" sounding speaker. I assume "warm" means relatively fuller, and softer sound in the mid range and softer and "sweeter" sound in the highs.

18. Jeffrey R

Jeffrey R Stunt Coordinator

Sam, glad to hear you're coming around on the Axioms. Of course they're not for everyone, but they really are great speakers. After a few years of owning Axioms, I continue to notice glaring loss of detail and muddier bass when I listen to some of my friends' speakers.

As you get more and more accustomed to the Axiom sound, I think you'll get lots of enjoyment out of them. Happy listening.