axiom wall bracket questions

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by William_Gravem, Dec 7, 2004.

1. William_Gravem

William_Gravem Stunt Coordinator

I just got my speakers, and am trying to set them up. I got Axiom M22's, VP 100, and QS 8's. The M22's and VP 100 are going to be mounted using Axiom's full metal bracket, which involves putting 4 wood screws in the back of each speaker.

I'm not handy and the idea of screwing holes into my speakers scares the crap out of me. Does anyone know what size screw I would need, or have any general advice? Would screwing holes into the back ruin the speakers? Am I just nuts for being so panicky about this?

2. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

A call or e-mail to Axiom would seem the best route. I'm sure they can provide you with the proper sized screws and possibly some kind of template to make the job easier.

Mort

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I'm sure the brackets are designed such that they will not damage anything important in the speakers, but I would still NEVER screw into my speakers. Kiss your resale value bye-bye.

Personally, I would never wall mount something like the M22 anyway, I'd put them on stands to get proper positoning in the room.

4. William_Gravem

Resale value isn't a huge concern to me, but a big reason the M22's were so appealing to me in the first place was that they could be wall mounted using the full metal bracket. Maybe I should have gone with a smaller speaker...

But I'm still nervous that putting little holes in the back of the speaker is going to impact the way they sound.

5. John Garcia

John
    Screws in the cabinet will not affect the sound at all.

6. William_Gravem

Thank you John.

Now, you also mentioned something about positioning. They're going to be a little high (the bottom of the M22 will probably be about 4.5-5 ft off the ground), but the brackets come with a thin wedge that can be used for slight adjustments to vertical angles. So, I was planning on angeling them downwards just a bit.

Does that sound reasonable?

7. John Garcia

John
    The tweeters want to be roughly at ear level when you are seated in your listening spot, so if the tweeters are higher than that (which they definitely will be), then yes, I'd use the wedge to angle them towards the listener.