What's new

AXIOM vs SWANS DIVAS part 2 (1 Viewer)

Jim Hubbard

Auditioning
I really like both of these brands, but I wanted to know what my fellow HTF members thought. If someone were to offer you one of the following 3 setups which would you choose and why? (A, B, or C)

(A)
DIVA:

4.1 $599 88 lbs. (ON SALE)
C3 $499 33 lbs.
R3 $599 52 lbs.
$250 shipping

(B)
AXIOM:

M80 $1100 114 lbs.
VP150 $350 17 lbs.
QS8 $470 22 lbs.
cash $27

(C)
AXIOM (factory outlet):

M80 $935
VP150 $298
QS8 $376
cash $338

kevitra

Second Unit
If you end up with the Divas, email Steve. You should not pay retail for the C3 or R3s if you are buying them together - he should knock some money off (all you have to do is ask).

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Having not heard either one extensively (I did hear a 7.1 system using Axiom M22's for mains and the VP150 center for a short period of time this weekend but I didn't listen to music which would have been the deciding factor), I'd have to go with the Divas. I've seen some excellent DIY designs using some of the Hi-Vi drivers and I also prefer the superior build quality of the Diva cabinets. A 17 lb. center channel using three 5" drivers and two tweeters is pretty light weight, IMHO. My little two way bookshelf speaker that I use as a center weighs that and is considerably smaller.

Brian

TimothyH

Auditioning
Kevitra is correct. AV123 will cut a significant deal when the speakers are purchased as a package. I purchased the 6.1's, C3 and 2.1's for $1974.00 delivered. The 6.1's are $1299, C3 is $499 and 2.1's are $399. Shipping was $275. The package deal meant a free C3 at $499. In my opinion you just can't beat that! :D

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
I too would go with option C as best bang for the buck. Better bang is, however, as follows:

(Factory outlet)

Mt22i $340
VP100 $198
QS8 $376

Since the Mt22's sound as good as the M80's and I would get a sub either way, no contest. I really think it is tough to find a better HT/music package for the money than that, including anything in the Diva line. The Paradigm lines come close at Canadian prices only.

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
Since the Mt22's sound as good as the M80's
I would disagree with that statement, as I'm sure quite a few others would as well. There's more to the towers than just bass extension. Personally I think the M60ti is the best value in the Axiom lineup assuming you don't need the blistering SPL levels that the M80ti is capable of.

One thing I would agree with is that regardless of which of the setups mentioned above you purchase, a dedicated sub is definitely recommended to get the most out of movies/HT.

Axiom factory seconds is the way to go. I've owned both (diva and axioms) and for value for dollar axiom actually wins.

KurtisJ

Agent
Factory Outlet!

I am not sure I understand this whole argument of weight, which keeps popping up. I have the VP150, which seems heavy enough for the dimensions. It also sounds pretty darn good..especially between a pair of M22s.

My goal is for a good sounding, non-obtrusive speaker system, which is able to be wall mounted (hung, used with wall brackets or placed on a small shelf). So I went bookshelf style in maple.

and...they do not sound bright to me.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Kurtis,

As a DIY'er, I'm a real stickler for heavy, acoustically inert cabinets (this means 3/4" MDF and internal bracing). With external dimensions of 7.5"H x 26.5"W x 7.5"D and a weight of 17 lbs. the VP150 is a real lightweight. If they were using 3/4" MDF with bracing (they're probably using 1/2" or 3/4" particle board) it would probably weigh around 30 lbs. or so. If someone were to rebuild the VP150 cabinet with 3/4" MDF it would sound better, regardless of how good it sounds now.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the Axiom speakers are bad. My short audition this past weekend was very impressive. Even my old PSB Alpha A/V's were 1/2" MDF or particle board (I don't remember which) but I think they could have sounded better with very little extra materials cost (like $1-$2).

Brian

Gary PT

Agent
Option 'C', best bang for the buck, absolutely. But I think we already know that (Hi, Jim! We've talked before!)

Dave_Olds

Stunt Coordinator
As a DIY'er, I'm a real stickler for heavy, acoustically inert cabinets (this means 3/4" MDF and internal bracing).
But as a DIY'er you are probably aware that great cabinets mean nothing if you pack them full of crappy speakers :D
Axiom has provided a quality product at "Superstore" pricing and we should be greatful that we have such a fine speaker at such an affordable pricing....After all, true home theater is all about upgrading :b and we have to start somewhere. They have allowed us to start on a higher plateau than we could have if we bought entry-level from Best Buy ;)
Call them entry-level, doesnt bother me or many of the Axiom owners - cuz price-wise they are - sound wise - they are not....Value-wise - they might be the best....period...
Dave

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Call them entry-level, doesnt bother me or many of the Axiom owners - cuz price-wise they are - sound wise - they are not....Value-wise - they might be the best....period...
In the past "entry-level" would have been a dirty word. But companies like Axiom have changed that drastically.
Brian

Duane H

Agent
One reason I chose Axiom over the Divas was the lesser weight of the Axiom VP150 center speaker. I am required to set the center directly on top of my RPTV and, having read reports of sagging of the set top when using heavier speakers, I felt it safer to go with the Axiom. Just another factor for some to consider.

I am extremely pleased with my M80Ti/VP150/QS8 setup.

Craig_B

Agent
The Axiom system that Brian is referring to above is mine. I have (2) M22's, a VP 150, (4) QS4's and am now the proud owner of a killer custom 15" 175L sub built by Brian. (The sub is amazing and I will be posting a review of it shortly).
As far as the speakers go, I went through a similar set of choices before deciding on my Axiom system, and also considered the Divas, as well as Ascend and Norh. I knew I would be using the system primarily for HT (70%) and would have a really good sub, so I really never even considered the larger 6.1 Divas or M80 Axioms (although I thought about getting the M40's instead of the M22's at one point just so I would not have to buy stands). I think it is probably safe to say that the Divas have superior construction, and based on the reviews might sound a little better, but they should at well over twice the price of the Axioms (when comparing the Diva (2) 4.1's, C3, (2) R3, (2) 2.1's system to the (2) M22, VP150, (4)QS4's at outlet prices). If cost was not a factor I would have probably bought the Divas, but as cost is almost always a factor, I think the Axioms are a better bang for the buck as I doubt the Divas sound twice as good. Also, while I find the Divas visually stunning, the fact is that my room is usually dark and the front wall is all black, so their looks were not a big positive for me and the lack of a black finish was actually a negative in my case. Anyway, I am very happy with my Axioms and I think they sound fantastic for both movies and music. I am no audiophile and I upgraded from an Energy Take 5 system, so take it for what it is worth. However, I have had three people who have heard my system go out and buy complete Axiom systems, and Brian seemed to like them, so that must say something :)

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Craig,
Hey, there you are! Yes, my intent was never to put down the Axioms. In their particular price range I can't think of anything I'd look at first. Considering all of your requirements and limitations I don't think you could have picked a better setup.
The fact that you could turn up the volume to reference and I didn't notice them straining impressed me. I'm not sure how they'd fair in my large room, but in yours they were pretty nice.
Can't wait for that subwoofer review! ;)
Brian

Duane H

Agent
Other factors that swayed me to Axiom over the Divas was a large room (39 x 22 feet), relatively modest amplifier power (100 wpc nOrh Le Amps for the front mains and 65 wpc Outlaw 1050 receiver for the other speakers), and the higher sensitivity of the Axioms. Also, I personally don't care for the Rosewood finish -- with no alternatives currently available -- of the Divas.

JeffreyMercado

Second Unit
Axioms come in 3 colors. Axioms have free shipping. On the forum you can talk and get a response from the president Ian Colquist. Axioms have better sensitivity.
Swans are beautiful if you like the wood. One person I read liked the swans better. He had both setups in his house. Real wood veneer, not vinyl. I do not know about customer service.
You might be able to get a free AV stand from axiom.

http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/...g=m22award.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks