Axiom vs Rockets

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by ChadLB, Mar 10, 2004.

1. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Any good info/links on comparison of say the Axiom 80s and Rocket 750's?

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

I have not auditioned the Axiom 80s, but generally most careful listeners consider that the Axiom line is brighter than the Rocket line.

My guess is that you really need to listen to both and decide what is most pleasing to your ear.

If you want real wood, the Rockets have the edge, as the Axioms are wood-grained vinyl. On the other hand, the Rockets only come in rosewood or ebony, so if strongly grained, dark colored woods do not appeal, the Axioms have a wider range of finishes—even if it is not real wood.

Size and weight are about the same. The published specs state the Axioms go a bit lower, which could be important if you are considering a primary HT system without a sub and is probably meaningless otherwise.

3. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

And if you are considering HT, the Rocket 200 center channel is a very fine speaker—you might want to compare the 200 to the VP150. The 200 is taller, deeper and much heavier (46 lbs. vs. 17 lbs.), though it is not quite so wide as the VP150. Comparing the centers would be cheaper than comparing the mains as the shipping costs would be less.

You might also check out audioenvy.com and see if anyone in your area has the Rockets. I am pretty sure that Axiom also has some place where you can arrange auditions, but I’m not sure where.

4. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Lew,
    Thanks for the info....I was able to listen to the M80's in my house as someone from this forum was kind enough to bring his over.... very nice not to bright...sounded somewhat like my current AR's just had more depth to them.
    I have found someone who has the Rocket 750's so I might go give them a listen.
    I have come across a few readings of people hearing both.

5. Tony Genovese

Tony Genovese Supporting Actor

Chad, my experiences were similar with Axioms. I'm not sure where the "bright" reputation stems from, probably from people who are comparing them to speakers that are rolled off on top.

6. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

chad - type Axiom and Rocket into the "search" bar at top right of this forum, you'll get everything you want and then some.