What's new

Axiom vs. PSB image:Thoughts??? (1 Viewer)

Kelly Scott Rickards

Stunt Coordinator
On one hand you have:

PSB Image 3LR mains

PSB Image 8C center

PSB Image 1B surrounds

PSB Image 8C rear center

And on the other hand you have:

Axiom Millennia M22ti mains

Vocal Point VP100 center

Millennia M2ti surrounds

Vocal Point VP100 rear center

Either of these would be mated to a HSU VTF-2 sub and a Denon AVR 2802.

For pure sound quality would you choose the PSBs or the Axioms???

Marc H

Second Unit
I'd say the Axioms for sure but I'm very biased towards them aren't I:)
If you do go with the Axiom package, try and consider the M3TiSE for the rear as opposed to the M2TiSE if you're picky about timbre matching.
The M2TiSE uses a decent titanium hybrid tweeter but it will have different tonal characteristics to the 1", pure titanium dome of the M3TiSE and M22TiSE.

Dan_Jones

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with above. Perhaps you should go with 4 M22's as they will have extremely precise imaging.

Kelly Scott Rickards

Stunt Coordinator
I notice though, the M3s have 6.5 inch woofers, unlike the M22s

Would the larger driver make a difference in precice timbral matching??

Also, any thoughts about the PSB image???

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I have never listened to Axiom's, but I have auditioned alot of speakers and ended up buying the PSB line. I listened to the 3 LR'S and really liked them but wanted towers. I bought the 6t's, 9c and 10 s for surrounds and Stratus mini's for back speakers. Love it!

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I personally have PSB speakers and again and again I come away from a listening session content with my purchase. I myself have Image 6T fronts a 9C center and 2B surrounds and I have a Mirage subwoofer. The thing I notice the most about the speakers is that they play loud and undistorted and don't colour the sound. Very nice. If I were you, I would listen to both speaker setups. I understand that Axiom is very good. Listen to both. I kinda had my mind set on PSB Alpha's way back in the spring and I listened to some Paradigm speakers as a comparison. I kept comparing speakers until I moved to the Imagae line and went on up to the 6T's.

The speakers you mention are good speakers. I would use a subwoofer if you choose the 3LR's though.

David Head

Second Unit
I own the exact same PSB Image speakers you listed minus the rear center. They are GREAT speakers for music and HT. I highly suggest you audition them before making a final decision.
I haven't heard the Axioms, but have read many favorable comments. Have you read the review at CheapHomeTheater?
David

Sonnie Parker

Second Unit
My PSB 9C center and 10S surrounds came in today. 6T's still on the way. I am astonished at just what the center and surrounds can do. These speakers are amazing. And I owned Snell B Minors previously. PSB is a very good value.

Haven't heard the Axioms but they have good reviews. I believe they are mail order and cost a tad more than PSB. Or maybe it's you can get more PSB for your dollar.

SP

Marc H

Second Unit
Kelly, you're correct, the ideal scenario would be the M22TiSe front and rear. That's actually my favourite combination. Dan knows that :) I harp on that combination to anybody that will listen to me.
There is a precision to the surround imaging that I haven't been able to duplicate with any other combination. The M22TiSe have a unique speed to their presentation and using two pairs of them gives one the sense the sound is just hanging there in the air, like the actual source of the sound is precisely there. Using other combinations loses that precision to the placement of the sound.
If I can give you a recommendation for an awesome matched set up, try and consider the two pairs of the M22TiSe with the VP150Se and EP350 subwoofer. The VP150Se is awesome and can be run in full range mode. The sub is tight and fast too and matches the speed of the M22TiSe nicely.
If you haven't seen it already, SoundStage gave the M22TiSe their Reviewers' Chioce award for 2001:
http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/a...niam22tise.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.