What's new

Axiom vs Ascend Acoustics (1 Viewer)

RandyKudor

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Donald,

I too own an Ascend 5.1 system and I have heard both the Axiom M3t and M22t, although I have not heard there larger speakers.

My listening experience witht the axioms was a fairly positive one but I found for me that the speakers were overly bright and tinny. Good for HT but not smooth or warm enough for music.

I liked the M3 over the M22 for music, but for HT I preferred the M22. The M3 is warmer than the M22 but the M22 had a wider soundstage, more suited for HT.

I feel the ascend CBM-170s perform as well as the M22 for HT, but offer considerably more musically. Better focus, a much smoother and less fatiguing high end, and slightly deeper bass extension. I also don't agree with the speaker shootout at cheap home theater at all, besides, who are those guys anyway? They rate the individual review of the CBM-170 at 4.5 and the M3Ti at 4. Then they rate the M3Ti higher than the CBM-170 in the shootout? I find that inconsistent althouth they claimed that the shootout was strictly for HT, and music was not considered. Too bad that site is dead and they are not answering emails.

I think the best thing you can do for yourself is to give both speakers a try. It is worth the risk of return shipping IMO, that way you will never question how the "other" speaker would have sounded.

best of luck!
-Randy

JimC_A

Stunt Coordinator
Just so you know...My QS8's are 22 1/2 feet apart. I know all rooms are different, but I think Marc could tell you best why the QS8's can be that far apart and still sound so good. Remember...you can change the level of sound coming from the surrounds on most receivers. This will help you dial in the sound to your room dimensions.

Matt Jesty

Second Unit
Donald , why not buy (Or borrow) a set of B&w's ,Klipsch or Mirage (which-ever you liked best) and then order both set-ups from the direct mnfgrs and set up a blind listening test in your home (sending back all the loosers) ,THIS WAY YOU CAN BE SURE!.....Reading reviews without a PERSONAL referance point is problematic...this is audio ,side by sides are imperative given the nature of sonic memory...

DonaldZ

Grip
The B&Ws were 603 S3s with Rotel amplification. They were pleasant, liveable speakers with a nice midrange. The Klipsch and Mirage pairs were through a Denon 2802. The Klipsch were forward and exciting, and the Mirages were muddy. I didn't trust the dealer showing me the last two, and I wanted to listen a bit without grilling him about the use of tone controls. The Mirages were a markdown item that he was in a hurry to push, and I wasn't in the mood to debate.
Forced to pick between what I've heard at this point, I'd pick the B&W's and make adjustments in the rest of the system.
I suspect that there are accuracy bargains out there that won't come across strained in the process.
Randy, I think cheaphometheater will be back now that the book is published, if I read the site correctly. They are only a site that happens to deal a bit more in my price point. How long had you run the M22 and M3s before you went with the Ascends, and what are you powering them with?

Marc H

Second Unit
Jim, I like the dimmer response better :) Hope you didn't get any damage in that storm yesterday.
Jim's right, that kind of a seperation between them should not pose a problem once calibrated.
I don't like to recommend the QS series on stands though. The fixed height of the stand can be a limiting factor plus I feel that walls are pretty much essential to get the quadpole envelope happening properly. Also, the quadpoles change their tone greatly when off the wall. If any one has them, just pull them away from the wall as they are playing and I think you'll see what I mean.

JimC_A

Stunt Coordinator
The QS8 doesn't sound like the same speaker away from the wall. I tested that out once for reassurance. I'm glad that I had my walls pre-wired for whenever I did the home theater. Otherwise, I would have had to hire an electrician to do it. Marc...No damage personally, although we did drive through a hail storm in whiteout conditions for a few minutes.

Jason Co

Second Unit
I have my QS4's mounted on stands due to the set up of my room as well as the world renowned WAF. Although mounting them to the wall may be the best course of action, here's a little suggestion for ya.....put them on stands, NEXT to the wall. My QS4's are next to the wall sort of angled so they actually bounce off the wall back into the rest of the room. A lack of a rear wall in my room is also a reason why mounting them would not be feasible. If they were mounted one of the quads would actually be directing sound out of the room. I guess the point I am getting (or trying) to get across is the beauty of the quad surrounds is that they are very very versatile. Now, people may line up to argue with me, but I suggest they stop by my house, enjoy a frosty beverage and listen for yourself.

Jason

Jim Mack

Auditioning
Hold on to your credit card. A little bird told me Nov 13th that Ascend will be having a "huge holiday sale very soon". They have a container of parts being held up at the Los Angeles port and as soon as it arrives... big sale!

It should include the CBM-170's.

DonaldZ

Grip
I've lit the credit card for now with an Axiom/SVS setup. The Ascends may get play yet depending upon the sound of the incoming pieces. SVS was helpful, but suggested that I may want the plus rather than a PCi based upon room size.

The receiver will be an HK 520, picked up this morning as a new item on closeout pricing.

DonaldZ

Grip
M22ti fronts, VP150 center, M3ti backs.
The most humorous part of the package parade was the SVS, however. UPS came by today after Fedex had already dropped off the Axioms. I get this enormous box, and moved it through the kitchen to the family room. My wife says "what's that?" A subwoofer, says I.
It's only a 25-31 PCi, but it's still huge. I place it in the corner where it belongs, and she likes it. Cool, she says. :emoji_thumbsup:
I'll wire it all up tomorrow.

Warren_Sc

Second Unit
Donald-

Please keep us informed of how you like your set-up. I'll be looking at a M3ti, VP150 L/C/R to go with my SVS 25-31PCi in a month or so.

Thanks,

Jeffrey R

Stunt Coordinator
Congrats Donald. I am currently using Axiom M22ti's for fronts, the VP-150 center, and some old surrounds (soon to change to QS4's or QS8's) with a H/K 520, and I am blown away by the performance. You can't get much better for the price. I am jealous of your SVS, though. Let us know what you think when it is all set-up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks