Axiom VP100 vs VP150

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Stone, Sep 18, 2002.

1. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I've had a pair of M40s for about 5 months now, and it's time to replace of my old Energy Take 1. Now I'm just trying to decide which to go with. Price is a concern, because I'm buying a new TV soon, and don't have an insane amount of money to part with.

Any thoughts?

2. Luke_G

Luke_G Auditioning

I have heard both, and I definately feel that the VP150 is worth the extra money. It simply provides better sound staging during movies than the 100, and the TMMMT setup works great for this speaker.
    Regardless of which one you choose, you will have a nice upgrade from your Energy Take 1. Good luck! [​IMG]

3. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Any ideas where (besides Axiom's webstore) that I can buy them? I don't have any Axiom dealers near me.

I'm itching to buy one, but man...350 is just too much right now.

4. Jeffrey R

Jeffrey R Stunt Coordinator

I have never heard the VP100, but I do have the VP150 paired with my M22ti's, and I love the VP150. It is very wide, and not that deep, so as long as you don't have a small TV that couldn't accomodate it's width, it easily fits on top of the TV. It has very clear dialogue in movies, and a very expansive soundstage. I have never seen someone recommend the VP100 over the VP150, so if you can afford it, I would say go for the VP150. If you're scared away by the price from Axiom, I got mine over the phone from Audioshop in Canada for a very good price.

5. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Currently I have a measly 27" Wega, but in the coming weeks, it will be replaced by a 53" wide-screen Panny...so I'm good space-wise.

I would buy from Marc @ Audioshop, but unfortunately he can't sell Axioms over the phone anymore. I tried to buy some M3s over the summer...and it was a no-go.

6. Leo_P

Leo_P Second Unit

I'd definitely go with the VP150.
    The center channel is SO important, for both music AND movies, I feel my VP100 is the weak link in my set-up. I have M40's as mains and M3's as surrounds. When listening to my Marvin Gaye dts CD, the VP100 sounds a little, well...LITTLE. It just doesn't cut it.
    I was thinking about getting a VP150 and even though I'm sure it'd be an upgrade, I'm not sure by how much. I'm not about to spend X amount of dollars to STILL feel my center speaker is not up to par, which I've heard from some owners of VP150's. About the only reason I'd upgrade from my current Axiom set-up is to get a really "killer" center channel speaker, which IMHO Axiom lacks.
    I think the bottom line is that Axiom's towers and bookshelfs are SO good, their centers suffer by comparison.[​IMG]
    Anyway, between the VP100 or 150, I'd go for the 150. BTW, the VP100 IS a good speaker, just not a great one. But, maybe I'm asking for too much.:b

7. JohnBrianW.

JohnBrianW. Stunt Coordinator

Another vote for the VP150..its far better.

8. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Okay, I just talked to Marc @ Audioshop, and it looks like he can sell Axioms. I don't know why I thought he told me he couldn't.

He quoted me a very good price, but still not as cheap as the Axiom Factory Outlet (for blemished units). Now I must decide what to do...

9. JohnBrianW.

JohnBrianW. Stunt Coordinator

I've seen some pieces of Factory outlet stuff and have seen no major blemishes...just little insignificant scratches

10. Steve WC

Steve WC Stunt Coordinator

I agree with Leo_P.

I purchased Factory Outlet QS4's three weeks ago. Still can't find a mark on them!!

P.S. Axiom Audio must be really producing some good work. There have been no VP100, VP150, M3, M22, or M60's in the outlet for some time (I check every day).

11. Curt Gilker

Curt Gilker Agent

Second that. I bought Factory Outlet M3's. I still cannot figure out why Axiom considered them "blemished"

12. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Someone told me that they update their FO stock every Friday. Is there any truth to that?

13. Leo_P

Leo_P Second Unit

Matt, don't hesitate to buy from the Factory Outlet. All my Axiom's are F.O. With the exception of one M40, the rest of my speakers are NOT blemished. The M40 that is blemished has a piece of veneer, at the top of the front, that looks like they glued it back in place after it ripped. It's about an inch long, you can't see it unless you look for it and the grill completely covers it.
    Axiom's are good at full price, at F.O. prices, they're a steal.
    Good luck!