Axiom versus Rocket

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Torgny Nilsson, Feb 27, 2003.

1. Torgny Nilsson

Torgny Nilsson Second Unit

I have heard great things about Axiom and Rocket speakers. Though I normally like to listen to speakers before buying them, I am considering buying four Axiom M80ti speakers or four Rocket RS 750 for my system, plus a complementary center speaker. I intend to use them with my SVS 25-31 PC+ subwoofer.

Though you can return either system within 30 days if you don't like it, shipping comes to about $400 and I can't afford to audition them both. Does anyone have any recommentation? They will be used for both music and home theater.

2. Luke_R

Luke_R Agent

I haven't tried either but am strongly looking at a rockets package right now. From my understanding, if you like a brighter sounding speaker than go with the axioms, if you want something warmer than the rockets would be the way to go. Lots of owners at avsforum, one review by an owner had the rs750 going up against and beating a paradigm studio 100, of course listening is so subjective the only way to decide would be to audition both and send back the ones you don't like.

3. Torgny Nilsson

I mostly listen to classical, jazz and swing and think that the Rockets might be better for that. But my wife mostly listend to rock, which the Axioms may be better for. Both seem fine for home theater. Tough choice, especially when everyone seems to have a different opinion when it comes to speakers. I think I am inclined toward the Rockets though.

4. Russell _T

Russell _T Supporting Actor

Torgny,
    The ROCKets put the rock in rock music. [​IMG] I was playing the Metallica DVDA today using all five speakers and the sub. Just for grins, I miked the 750's one foot away at 120 db average, and I won't post the peaks in case Mr. Schifter is reading this. They seemed to have room left, but I didn't dare push them any further, and no audible compression, they just get louder and louder. I don't recommend this kind of abuse for the faint of heart.

5. Luke_R

Luke_R Agent

That's it, we have a metallica listener, praising the rockets. I'm sold. Now the only question is what package to get. What do you have besides 750's russ.

6. Russell _T

Russell _T Supporting Actor

LOL. You have never heard Metallica until you have heard the Black album in DVDA. All you can do is sit there stunned. If you don't have one yet, you have to go out and get one of those Pannasonic CP72's for 200 bucks that do DVDA along with a fantastic picture.
    I have all the Rockets, but my main system has the 750's up front with Bigfoot for the center, the 250's on stands as side surrounds, and the 550's bringing up the rear, being played through the Outlaw 950/770, and a Hsu VTF-3 doing sub duty.

7. Jeff Kohn

Jeff Kohn Supporting Actor

8. Tim Reed

Tim Reed Extra

From what I've read - -(and I've been reading for the past 6 months) - - you would have an extremely good system with either choice. Both the Rockets and the Axioms were speakers I considered closely (especially the top of the line models). Both of those systems should be able to really crank. The Rockets are clear winners in terms of finish - - versus anything in their price range. So if that's important (or your wife is demanding it !) - - then you should probably be going with the Rockets.

Although you can't listened to them (before getting into a return situation - - which is very costly for the Rockets), you can try to discern how good each of the speakers is by looking for comparisons against speakers you've heard - - and then trying to factor in the credibility of the person doing the comparison (after all - - there are people out there who go gaga over the Bose cube systems - - which are nothing short of crap - - and there are quite a few people who really haven't heard many other speakers except for what they bought).

I think that you should also consider 2 other - -internet/direct manufacturer type designs - - and I think (don't know - - but its my conclusion from reading 100's of posts) that both of these companies are as good, or in fact are better than either the Axioms or the Onix Rockets. Those two are - - 1) EFE speakers (send an email to [email protected],) and 2) GR Research (Brian Bunge can build these for you). Both companies have outstanding designers (Ed Frias and Danny Ritchie).

I went with the EFEs simply because they are 8 ohm designs and in the long run it becomes a lot cheaper in terms of trying to drive them (especially when you are thinking 5 channels). I have not been able to find direct comparisons between EFE or Gr Research speakers versus either the Rockets or the Axioms (some may exist now). I was able to find an individual who owns both the GR Research Paradox speakers (discontinued) and the EFE B-15's - - and he loves them both - - but tends to go with the EFEs over the Paradox's (but suffice it to say - - that both are great speakers). Also several individuas compared the EFE speakers to B&W speakers (nautilus line - - 804's I think) and like the EFEs better.

Ed Frias has compared his T-22's (about 1000/pair) to the JM Lab Mini Utopias (something like 5000/pair) - - side-by-side - and it's his opinion that there are very very close in terms of their sonic signature (difficult to tell the two apart). That may give you an idea of how good these speakers are (that I am recommending you at least consider).

People who have Ed's T-60's say they are the best speakers they have heard - - bar none. (those are more like $4000- -5000).

Hope this helps and best of luck to you.

9. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

Torgny- Have you tried audioenvy.com to see if there are any rocket owners in your area willing to let you listen to them?

10. Torgny Nilsson

I may try audioenvy.com down the road a bit. The only thing I have really decided on is that I want to have the same speakers as front speakers and as surround speakers. Aside from which brand of speaker to get, I am struggling with the question of floorstanding versus bookshelf speakers. I like the Soliloquy model 5.0, but they are fairly expensive and are probably not as good a value as the Axiom or Rocket speakers. Too many choices!

11. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

"Too many choices!"

Amen.

12. Torgny Nilsson

I tried the EFE email address, but it does not work. Does anyone have any info on how to contact EFE, or any info on a webiste for them?

13. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Just to amplify Tim's comments a bit... both speakers are fantastic performers in their price-range, but the Rockets have a finish that's unheard of at this price (I have a late-run setup of Swans Divas, in the darker wood - identical looking to the Rockets except under-the-hood and the top-mounted tweeter). Merely aesthetic, to be sure, but it's the only music-related item that I've brought into the house that elicited gasps from my wife. "Do you like them?" I asked. "I love them!" she said.

The Rockets have ViFa ring tweeter, which is used on a number of really high-end speakers, as compared to the titanium tweeter of the Axioms. I have a strong feeling that your preference here might be the deciding difference, even though I suspect the M80s will move more air which could be important in your setup.

Both are returnable, but the shipping costs are nothing to sneeze at (especially for the Rockets).

14. Torgny Nilsson

I appreciate all the comments. But given those comments, and after doing some further research on this site and others, I am actually leaning toward another internet company: GR Research. Five GR Research AV-1+s, with one of them as the center, sound like they might provide the best results for both music and movies (especially when used with my existing sub.) If anyone has compared the AV-1+ to any of the Rocket speakers, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

15. Yousaf

Yousaf Second Unit

Torgny:

Go for it. I have AV-1s and loved them, only to find that they were an older revision that didn't even have the special series crossover! I'm rebuilding them now with all of the upgrades (Blackhole 5 and Sonicaps) and can't wait to hear how they turn out...

16. Torgny Nilsson

I was thinking of ordering the Rockets when I heard about Axiom. Then I heard about the GR Research AV-1+ speakers, and was just about to order them when I got info on the EFE T-22 speakers.

No one seems to have anything bad to say about either the AV-1+ or the T-22 and both companies have been very helpful in providing information on their speakers. But while all the magazines compare store brands that you can listen to anyway, no one seems to have compared any of the major internet brands side by side.

I am still inclined toward the AV-1+ with its wood veneer and matched stands, but the sound is what matters. If anyone thinks the EFE T-22 sounds substantially better than the AV-1+ (I realize this is entirely subjective) let me know.