AXIOM speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Burklund, Aug 24, 2004.

1. Burklund

Burklund Stunt Coordinator

I was looking at the Axiom website and noticed the M-80ti tower speakers. I have my eye on the Swans 6.1 towers, but I noticed that the Axioms come in different wood colors and one of them matches my furniture.

Anyway....who here owns Axioms?
    Tell me about them!!

Thanks

2. Bill Mullin

Bill Mullin Stunt Coordinator

I have Axioms, check my web page for details. Also, everything you ever wanted to know about Axioms can be found in their message forum.

FWIW, I've been very satisfied with the sound and appearance of my Axioms, and their customer support is top notch!

- Bill

3. William_Gravem

William_Gravem Stunt Coordinator

Bill,

I've read some negative reviews about their center channels... but I've read nothing but glowing reviews of their mains and surrounds. I never know what to believe when I read these things.

I take it you've been totally satisified w/ their center's?

Which do you have?

4. Bill Mullin

My center is the Axiom VP150. I've never been totally satisfied with any center, although the Axiom is the best I've owned. 90% of my HT time is spent watching movies. When I find a speaker with which I never have to say, "Huh, what did s/he say?", then I'll have a speaker I'm totally satisfied with. FWIW though, I've had pretty good luck improving dialog intelligability by diddling around with the receiver's controls.

- Bill

5. William_Gravem

William_Gravem Stunt Coordinator

Say, maybe you can help me out w/ this, I'm looking at Axiom's surrounds. I only have 85 watts to drive them, and they wouldn't be in a totally ideal spot (about 2-3 feet behind, and on the wall near the ceiling.) Does this sound like a good fit, or should I get a small wall mountable speaker than can be aimed?

6. Bill Mullin

85 watts is more than enough, and your location sounds fine. Note that with the Axiom QS surrounds, there are speakers in the top, bottom, and both sides, so be sure that the speakers are mounted so that these surfaces are in the clear. For lots of ideas on how to do this, check the Axiom Message Forum.

- Bill

7. Doug McBride

Doug McBride Auditioning

I have Axioms as well and you are more than welcome to check out my HT Page (put 3 w's in front of .foothill.net/~hdmc until I get more posts) for how I've got them set up.

I have the VP150 and like Bill Mullin, I've found that after calibrating, I like it better about 2db hot to help with dialog. It's the best center I've owned (#4), and I get quite a few comments from guests about how clear it is.

I also have the QS8 surrounds and they are mounted behind me based upon room constraints. No issues with regard to their location (as many folks mention, the design is very forgiving in terms of room placement).

I would consider myself a very satisfied customer and will also chime in that their customer service is top notch.

Cheers,

Doug

8. BruceTM

BruceTM Agent

I have the lowly vp100. It is a wonderful center channel speaker. I don't find it lacking and it delivers clear as a bell dialogue. It's the best $200 I have ever spent.