Axiom speakers (long))

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rick Radford, Sep 5, 2001.

1. Rick Radford

Rick Radford Supporting Actor

Late yesterday I received the Axiom M3Ti (surrounds) and the VP100 center channel. My Samson amp also arrived for the SVS 20-39CS. The M60Ti (mains) are supposed to ship today.
    Equipment to date:
    Onkyo 989 receiver
    Panasonic RP91 DVD
    JVC HR-S4600U SVHS
    Axiom M60Ti (in transit)
    Axiom M3Ti
    Axiom VP100 center channel
    SVS 20-39CS/Samson 700
    JVC 32260 (but I want a digital set for the RP91)
    Upfront, I would consider myself an enthusiast, not an audiophile. And I have much to learn about the settings on my Onkyo 989 receiver... and setting up the SVS properly.
    With that caveat in mind, here's my initial impressions, using descriptive terms that mean something to me. Hope they do to you. [​IMG]
    I set the M3s (13.5"h) on 26" Wood Technology stands. That puts them about the same height as the 20-39cs.. and will put them about 2" higher than the M60 (37.5"h).
    They are 6.5' apart and 9' to the listening position. The CC sits on top of the TV (48" to the bottom of the CC).
    I did a rough calibration with Avia/RS SPL and thought I noticed a slight perceived sound difference between the VP100 and the M3, but that might have something to do with the height difference, I dunno. I did dial the CC down 2dB (although I'm still trying to figure out that feature of the 989).
    Coincidence or not, it appears that 0dB relative on the Onkyo is reference.. as 75dB on the RS SPL was -10dB on the volume. (if I understand ref correctly)
    I set the speakers to small, sub on, popped in some mp3 music on a CD I'd burned and gave them a listen. I'd heard the SVS was pretty musical. And I'm sure I need to tweak it some more. But I was pleasantly surprised at how unobtrusive the sub sounded. Deep, but not dominating. I do like the sound.
    I switched back and forth between stereo and direct (sub on and off) to hear how the system sounded. Not bad. Not bad at all. But the M3s by themselves seemed a bit thin, if that's the right word to use. But I figured the M3s as surrounds should be ok.
    Ah ha. Then I remembered that the mains were set to SMALL. When I set the M3s to Large and tried them again without the sub, I was quite surprised at the level of sound these little speakers produced. I felt there was some harshness, but figure those metal drivers are gonna need some time to break in. But the bass the 6.5" drivers produced was deeper than I'd thought they would be.
    Overall, I was quite pleased (and somewhat surprised) with the fullness of sound from just the M3s. Obviously, the SVS extends that fullness quite a bit, but the M3s could easily stand alone for music, imo.
    I'm really anxious to get the M60s in now to complete the system. [​IMG]
    Enough for now. More later as I have time to play and figure out how all this works together.. especially when the M60s arrive!
    ------------------
    --RR
    [Edited last by Rick Radford on September 05, 2001 at 08:58 AM]

2. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

Rick,
    So, a thumbs up for the M3s?
    "When I set the M3s to Large and tried them again without the sub, I was quite surprised at the level of sound these little speakers produced."
    These suckers can put out some good sound. I was pleasantly surprised myself when I first listened to them. I think they'd do well as fronts in a HT set up (with a sub of course).
    "I felt there was some harshness, but figure those metal drivers are gonna need some time to break in."
    Yeah, it'll take some time...I believe 100 hours is the correct amount of time. However, the best part about it is that they truly sound better after every day! I'll tell ya, they sound great as surrounds. I gave them a workout last week with U-571 (DTS) and they had me reeling.
    Assuming you're happy with the M3s, I fully expect you to be a LOT happier with the M60s! I just hope that they keep the Millenia line at their current price with the same level of (high) value because I plan to eventually get another pair of M3s for rear surrounds and may even upgrade my M50s to M60s or M80s (when I get an amp).
    Let us know how you like the M60s!
    Ron

3. Rick Radford

Ron,
    Yes.. a definite thumbs up for the M3Ti. Sorry if I wasn't clear about that.
    Part of my problem in evaluating the new speakers is that I'm also learning the receiver.. so am not always sure just what I'm doing/getting out of the 989.
    The OM of the 989 is... cryptic, shall we say. [​IMG]
    I'll be a lot happier when those M60s arrive!
    Looks like we're the lone Axiom voice around here. Maybe we'll call ourselves the RR Axiom club or something. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    --RR
    [Edited last by Rick Radford on September 05, 2001 at 09:44 PM]

4. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

Rick,
    "I'll be a lot happier when those M60s arrive!"
    Yeah you will! [​IMG]
    "Looks like we're the lone Axiom voice around here."
    We sure are, but once people start hearing these things and realize how much $ they still have in their bank account for other toys, I don't expect that we'll be the sole Axiom owners. [​IMG]
    Keep us posted on the M60s...

5. Mike-H

Mike-H Agent

I just purchased an Axiom speaker package from Marc at Audioshop. I am building my first home theater and happened to make a decision on the speakers speakers first. I am still shopping for a TV, receiver, and DVD player, so I haven't even hooked the speakers up yet. They look great though. I got the M22Ti's for the front, QS4's for the surrounds, VP100 center, and EP175 Sub. I can't wait to get everything setup.
    Mike

6. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

Now we're all starting to come out of the woodwork! [​IMG]
    Mike-H,
    Marc at Auidoshop is a great help, isn't he?!
    Seeing how you went a different direction than Rick and I as far as speaker choices, please post a review of the M22s, the QS4s and the EP175 Sub...I would really like to know how they perform.
    Regards,
    Ron

7. Rick Radford

Mike-H,
    Your initials aren't RR. Sorry, you can't have any Axioms. [​IMG]
    I started the audition process months ago.. all part of the process of putting together my first home theater. I was trying to hit a home run first time at bat. Whew, that was a tougher job than I thought it'd be. It turned out that speakers were the last of my HT to be selected.
    I'd never even heard of Axiom until recently. Somehow I ran across them and for whatever reason felt impressed enough to jump on them.
    Thus far, with 3/5ths of my 5.1 setup in place, I'm pretty happy with them. I can't say they're the best I've ever heard. But they definitely strike me as one of the best values (considering sound and cost) that I've run across. And I've only heard the M3Ti and VP100 thus far.
    I'll look for your impressions when you get your Axioms setup!
    ------------------
    --RR
    [Edited last by Rick Radford on September 06, 2001 at 02:23 PM]

8. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

Rick,
    Any word on the M60s yet?
    Ron

9. Rick Radford

Nope. Shipping snafu betwixt customs/Purolator.. best I can tell. Hoping to get them sometime this week.
    .. in aggravation mode.
    ------------------
    --RR

10. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

Rick,
    "in aggravation mode"
    I bet! I certainly know how that is.
    Purolator? That's weird...mine was shipped via Fed Ex.
    Let us know...
    Ron

11. Rick Radford

That's because I bought mine direct from Axiom. I got a pretty good price on some factory blems.
    Sure wish they used FedEx, though.
    ------------------
    --RR

12. Will Pons

Will Pons Auditioning

Has anyone out there compared the performance of the Axiom (M3Ti's) compared to the Ascend Acoustic CBM-170's? They have both gotten rave reviews the last 6 months or so and are comparable in price/free shipping/direct source/30 day trail. Thanks.

13. JohnnyN

JohnnyN Stunt Coordinator

too bad I discovered axiom speakers too late... They seem like quite a bargain at 1100 per pair for the M80ti.

14. Rick Radford

Quick update: the M60Ti speakers arrived this morning. I have them hooked up and breaking in.
    More later when I have time to calibrate and listen.
    [​IMG]
    ------------------
    --RR

15. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

Rick,
    That's surprising considering the state of emergency throughout the U.S.
    We'll look for the review soon...
    Have fun breaking them in! [​IMG]
    Ron

16. David X

David X Stunt Coordinator

never mind .. I found Rick's review elsewhere.

17. Dan_Jones

Dan_Jones Stunt Coordinator

Where did you find Rick's review at?

18. David X

David X Stunt Coordinator