axiom speaker choice??

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Sheldon-m, Nov 5, 2003.

1. Sheldon-m

Sheldon-m Stunt Coordinator

I'm stuck between buying the Axiom M3ti and the M22ti. I will be using these as my mains since my budget is low.

I'm trying to get the best bang for the buck. they are both rated very well. so any suggestion would help. thx!!

2. JerryMa

JerryMa Stunt Coordinator

Ahh, the eternal debate rises again! I've gotten the Axiom bug and face(d) the same dilemma. I'm trying to get my CC balance down a bit, but when I do, I'm going with the M3's.

The reason is, they appear to be able to provide "more" bass than the M22, and generally have what I've seen referred to as a more "laid back" sound. The M22's are much more highly regarded, with a reputation for unbelievably detailed, accurate, clean sound.

A sub is highly recommended with both for 2-channel music, but based on my room size, I'm likely going to use the M3 w/o a sub for tunes. Provided, of course, I like them enough to keep them.

Don't overlook the 30-day in-home trial, btw. If you can afford the initial outlay of cash, buy a pair of both and try listening side-by-side. Just send back the pair you don't like, they'll refund your money.

3. Rich Wenzel

Rich Wenzel Supporting Actor

big difference in price between the two...

you dont say if they will be used for music or ht more...

my opinion is go for the biggest baddest fronts that you can...

dont know if you know about the speakers you can get from their store that are on special (usually really minor cosmetic blemishes), much cheaper

Rich

4. MichaelDDD

MichaelDDD Supporting Actor

Mike
    I too was torn b/t the M3 and M22s. I went w/the M22s for a number of reasons:

1. Slightly higher sensitivity (95db vs. 93db)
    2. Better power handling (200w vs. 175 watts...I like it loud [​IMG])
    3. Better midrange detail (per professional and end-user reviews)

I haven't listened to my M22s yet as I'm away on business and won't be home until the end of the month. But they are there waiting for me. [​IMG]

I wasn't concerned about the M22s slightly inferior (to the M3) bass response, as I use a sub w/both music and HT and will be x-ing them over at 80Hz anyway.

If I was going the "true" bookshelf route and was only going to have the pair of speakers with no sub for say, a second system in the bedroom/den, I'd have gotten the M3s simply due to the slightly better bass response.

Also, as Rich said "go for the biggest, baddest fronts you can..." [​IMG]

As Jerry said, try the Outlet Store. Send Amie an email telling her what you want. She answers email very quickly and is a pleasure to deal with. As I said, I haven't seen mine yet, but everyone says that their B-stock speakers had like one little mark on the bottom or slight nick on the top of the cabinet...minor stuff like that. No big deal. They are guaranteed to be 100% functional; no speaker or Xover problems and have the same warranty as the A Stock does...how can you go wrong? Email Amie.

5. Manuel:R

Manuel:R Auditioning

I just got my M22s two days ago. For the price, the sound quality, clarity and details coming out of these bookself speakers are truly amazing. However, they are a bit lacking on base.

Not a problem for me since my next purchase will be a sub. Any suggestions on a sub that will nicely match the M22s(room 20x12x8 50/50 Music/HT)?

Oh yes.. I got mine from the factory outlet and could not find a single scratch on them.

6. MichaelDDD

MichaelDDD Supporting Actor

Mike

*fingers crossed*

That's what I'm hoping to find as well...can't wait to get home!