axiom question. Please help!!

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Bill Leahy, Feb 10, 2004.

1. Bill Leahy

Bill Leahy Agent

I just got the OK to purchase some Axioms to replace my Energy 5.2 system! I am going VP150, 2 Qs8s, but cannot decide on the M60 or M22s. I will be getting a HSU STF2 sub. Would like to get moving on this, but am not sure. Any thoughts? Thanks

2. Bill Leahy

Bill Leahy Agent

By the way, my room is 18x11.

3. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

They really are 2 very different speakers. The 60 will go down a lot lower and is very near being a full range speaker. The 22 is a fantastic bookshelf and will of course need a good sub to handle the low end for music and movies. I think if it is strictly movies the 22's will be fine but if you want to add music to the mix I would opt for the 60's. If I had to do it all over again I would jump all over those 60's. I listen to a lot of music though. Yes there will be those people who say that a bookshelf with a good sub is great for music.....and they are right. But I just prefer the look and sound of a nice full range speaker. When you factor in the cost for stands the price difference will go from 400$ to about 200$ or less in no time as well. Good luck.

4. Cesar

Cesar Extra

my room is bigger, 18'x27' and my M22's and VTF2 are more than enough. (I also have the VP150 and QS8's.) I agree the M60's are louder and deeper. My next upgrade will probably be the M60's. But don't discount the value of the M22's and VTF2 (or similar).

If cost isn't an issue, go for the M60's. If it is, the M22's will still make you happy. BTW, I listen to most music in 2 channel w/ the sub and it's still fantastic.

5. cabreau

cabreau Second Unit

If you have the money for the M60's, then by all means, get them.

6. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

If you have the floor space and money get the M60's.

7. Bill Leahy

Bill Leahy Agent

I am leaning towards the 60s, mostly because I like the look and don't want to be bothered with stands. I was wondering if 12 ft away was too close for the 60s though. What do you think? A door makes it impossible to hang my Qs8s to my sides at ear level, so my choices are: 1)Slightly in front of my listening position at ear level.
    2) behind me on a back wall at ear level.
    3) Directly to my sides, but higher then ear level, say 8ft. Any thoughts?

8. Steve F M

Steve F M Screenwriter

I have a question? I am 99.5% Movies. Which fronts would be better for me the 22's or 60's. The price difference is not a big deal but which speaker would be better for movies. By the way I have a SVS sub to go along with either Fronts.

9. Ray**W

Ray**W Auditioning

Ihave a 16x22x10 room that opens into a 14x20 kitchen. After way too much research and 40 minutes on the phone with Joe at Axiom. I took delivery of a set of Axioms consisitng of the M60s/VP100/QS8s.. Simply put - they are special.

Joe and I discussed the M22 vs. M60 piece at length (I also have an SVS 20-39PCi)and I decided on the M60s for a variety of reasons. As good as the M22s are, the M60s give you more; enough to warrant the trade up. The previous responses here discuss that in some detail. I also did not want to have "what if" doubts and the M60s put that to rest.

They aren't that much more expensive than the M22s. Yes, the difference is $400, but stands take that down to $300. When you consider the price value relationship and add in the fact that the Axioms are simply less expensive than other speakers that may not even perform as well, the M60 choice is a no brainer. They are certainly not too much speaker (sitting 12' away). Sound stage and imaging are excellent. I'm still a bit stunned at the audio I am getting for the money I spent.

I heartily recommend the M60s if the $$ are not an issue for you. As an aside, you can pick up quite a bit of owner experience at the Axiom website. may be worth a little read time.

The really good news is you won't make a mistake with either choice.

10. James_R

James_R Auditioning

My 2cents

If money and space are not an issue get the M60s. Money and space were both issues for me so I went with the M22tis and I love them for music and movies both.
    Also, as I understand it you will want to be at a minimum of 10ft from the M60s with a preference towards 12ft.

Steve FM i'd recommend the M22s unless your space is really large.

James

11. Steve F M

Steve F M Screenwriter

my room size will be 22x15 with 8 foot ceilings. My 1st row of seats will be about 12 feet from the Mains.