Axiom Quadpolar Surrounds - Opinions?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gregory S, Mar 19, 2002.

1. Gregory S

Gregory S Stunt Coordinator

Hi,

I'm interested in the Axiom QS-4 or QS-8 surround speakers. Are these popular speakers - I do not hear a lot about them. I hear a lot about the front speakers - apparently a very good value.

I originally was interested in dipole speakers, such as Paradigm ADP-370's untill I found Axiom's website and a couple of reviews (most were about the front speakers - little on the surrounds).

I'm looking to get some opinions from owners or at least from someone that auditioned them.

How enveloping are they?

Do they draw attention to themselves?

How are they for movies? music?

How do they compare to dipoles?

Thanks very much,

Greg

2. KevinGS

KevinGS Stunt Coordinator

Hello Greg

I happen to own the M80, VP150 and QS8 and as I have stated before, they sound great!

The QS8s were surprisingly small when I got them but do the job most effectively. They don't overpower, they just do their job as surrounds should.

I have mine mounted on the side wall, a little bit behind the seating position and about 5.5 feet from the floor (which would be 1 to 2 feet above the listing position).

They are like all the Axiom speakers, clear, accurate and image great.

Hope this helps.

kev

3. Gregory S

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the response.

You said they image great. These surrounds should throw out an ambient surround field...supposedly. But, when you say they image great, I get the impression that they call attention to themselves, as do monopoles.

Is this what you mean? Please clarify.

Thanks again,

Greg

4. Eric Boudreau

Eric Boudreau Auditioning

I'll be receiving mine today (along with the VP150), I'll let you know how they are tomorrow.

5. Gregory S

Eric,

Great - I'll be eagerly awaiting your opinions.

Have fun,

Greg

6. KevinGS

KevinGS Stunt Coordinator

Greg, what I mean is the sound from them is just as good as the rest of their line up (perhaps imaging is not the right word).

7. JerryLang

JerryLang Agent

I have them, and they are great. Super sound spread for their size.

8. Eric Boudreau

Eric Boudreau Auditioning

I have my rear surrounds mounted up high on a back wall near the ceiling (no choice, there's a large doorway on that wall). So my old CS direct radiators fired across the room over my head and bounced off the front wall, resulting in very little surround sensation. Since the QS-8's fire to the sides and top/bottom, they made a huge difference. Now I'm enveloped in sound.

The combination of the M80's, VP150, and QS-8's is great. Voices sound consistent when they "move" from speaker to speaker around the room. I'm very pleased, the Axioms were a tremendous improvement over my old CS Ensemble II.

I'm eagerly awaiting the SVS 20-39 PCi to complete the system!

-Eric