Axiom QS4 questions

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Allen C Hecht, Jan 21, 2004.

1. Allen C Hecht

Does anyone currently use the Axiom QS4 surround speakers? I currently have a 5.1 setup with an HK avr525, and Polk audio rm6500 speaker set. I currently have the two surrounds behind the main couch, mounted up on the wall. I am trying to find out, is the QS4 a quality speaker(their website is selling "seconds" for $279 w/free shipping), and if I want to set up a 7.1 environment, am i better taking the small Polk sattelites off the back wall and mounting them on the side walls, or should I mount the QS4's on the side walls and leave the Polk sattelites on the rear wall?

2. Cooper_B

Cooper_B Agent

It's best to post this kind of question on Axiom's BBoards: people will give you a good idea of how it compares.
    Axiom bboards

Check it out..
    -Cooper

3. Paul_Ptaaty

Paul_Ptaaty Stunt Coordinator

I ended up trading mine in for QS8s because they are more effiecient, play lower and have the same drivers as the rest of my axioms....

however, their overall "quadpolar" design is awesome. It is diffuse enough to do a great job with environmental effects, but still direct enough to provide great directionality for movies and allow for front to back imaging for multichannel audio. Although the imaging is not as precise as a perfect direct setup, it is still very good and much more flexible.

I would go so far as to say the QS8 is axioms strongest offering. The QS4 is similar, just less of everything. I am quite sure the drivers are smaller and the tweeter is the old style which has slightly poorer dispersion and power handling. Also look at the weight the QS8 is much more substantial.

However from the design perspective, they are both awesome. I did like the QS8s more and could tell the difference more so than M22 to M60s with a sub, but the QS4s are still a recommended speaker.

You may get odd panning effects mixing brands.....if you have the QS4s they will be the most lenient for placement. You could probably put the QS4s on my sides if you don't match the polks.