Axiom owners need input! Speaker crossover frequency...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Thomas Molnar, Jul 18, 2002.

1. Thomas Molnar

Gang

On my Sony STR-DA5ES, I see there is an option to adjust the crossover frequency of the front, center, ans surround speakers. The front and surround speakers are identical - Axiom M3tis. Their frequency response is 60 Hz - 22 kHz (+/- 3 db); 50 Hz- 22 kHz (+3db, -9db). The center's freq. response is 85 Hz - 22kHz (+/- 3db); 50 Hz- 22 kHz (+3db, -9db). Given this information, what should I set the crossover frequencys to on the 5ES? Thanks!

Tom

2. JeffreyMercado

JeffreyMercado Second Unit

Just in case you did not know the THX standard is 80hz. If you are going to do a lot of music listening you can lower it a bit. You might also think about calibrating your system with an AVIA test DVD. You would also need a radio shack SLP meter.

3. Jeff Kohn

Jeff Kohn Supporting Actor

I wouldn't cross over the M3's any lower than 80hz, keep in mind that the x-over is sloped, not a brick wall. 80hz is just about right. It's a bit tougher call on the VP150 because it could stand to use a higher x-over but you don't want to go to high or you have to worry about directional bass. I'd say try 90hz, I probably wouldn't go any higher than that. My pre/pro only supports a single global x-over frequency, so I'm using 80hz for everything (M60's, VP150, M3's, and QS8).

4. Marc H

Marc H Second Unit

Hi Tom,
    I agree with Jeff, go with 80Hz for the M3TiSe. I would recommend setting the VP150Se to large though and avoid crossing over the dialog track to the sub.

5. Jeff Kohn

Jeff Kohn Supporting Actor

6. Marc H

Marc H Second Unit

Jeff
    I've tried both small and large on my VP150Se;large sounds way better on my system.
    There is no correct answer of course as it's personal taste though. Tom should try it both ways to see what his preference is.
    Mine is one of the older, heavier (29lbs) VP150Se; maybe the newer, lighter ones don't reach as deep. Mine is spec'ed to 50hz in the bass. Our display model in the shop is one of the old heavier ones too. I'll have to crack open a new one (18 to 19lbs)and compare the bass response when I get a chance.
    Tom, please do let us know which setting sounds good on your set up.