Axiom owners, let's hear opinions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Garcia, Mar 14, 2002.

1. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Specifically looking at M3tis. Since I can't audition them, I'd like to hear some feedback. I think I'm sold on them, but I'd like to hear both good and bad(if any) before I place the order. TIA.

*edit - this is for a bedroom system, stereo music only.

2. JohnRuggiero

JohnRuggiero Agent

I have the M80ti, v-150 and QS8's for surrounds. They are incredibly wonderful speakers. the female voices are off the the chart and the louder they go the better it sounds. For the the price you pay for them they are a steal. they are extremly well made, and the customer service is great. I am very happy with my Axioms. John

3. Heath_R

Heath_R Stunt Coordinator

I have the M3's front and surround and a VP100 and I love it. The treble is very detailed and clear. They have great imaging running 2ch. After plenty of breakin the bass picks up. Put them on good stands, sand filled. Got mine at www.audioshop.on.ca. Good price.

4. Craig_B

Craig_B Agent

I have the M22's, VP150 and QS4's and love them. I have mine paired with a 20-39cs SVS sub, and it is a great combo that blends very well.

After hearing mine a guy in my office ordered the M3's, VP100 and QS4's and he can't get over the quality of the sound, very clean and detailed. I keep telling him it will get even better as they break in.

5. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

John,

If you ever go to The City (San Francisco, for those who don't know), there's audio store on Van Ness where they have the Axiom M3ti's for auditions. It's across the street from where I work. I'll go get the name of the store for you.

6. John Garcia

John
    Danny, thanks, I might just do that, but I was looking to order them in the next day or two. Unfortunately I am busy this weekend and next, and during the week, well, you know Bay Area traffic, especially into the City from the South Bay. Get me the name anyway, and maybe I will wait until I give them a listen.

Thanks for the other responses also.

7. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    How much are those Axiom M3's?

8. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

John, here it is...
    Audio Vision SF
    850 Van Ness
    San Francisco, CA 94109
    415-614-1118

9. John Garcia

John
    Thanks Danny.

Jeff - $275, shipping included, anywhere in the US. Sounds like a very good deal to me. That's a little less than I have ever seen Mini Monitors (which I currently have) go for at around $285 on sale, with the normal price being more like $325. I have also heard them compared to, and often preferred to, the Minis, which is why I'm considering them for my other system.

My favorite comment on these speakers was "these speakers have absolutely no business sounding this good at this price..."

10. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    John,

Those Axioms look very impressive as well as the reviews. I am also wondering how good these speakers are. I do however want to mention another brand you may be interested in. Have you ever heard of GR-Research? Their Av1's just may be what you are looking for. I have a pair that you can demo if you wish since we live in the same city. I'll send you an email with more info.

11. Dan_Jones

Dan_Jones Stunt Coordinator

I've got M50Ti's up front, M3Ti's in the rear and a VP100 for center with a Pinnacle Digital Sub 350 for the LFE. I've truly been blown away by the Axiom's quality since day one. They are incredibly detailed speakers with great midrange and exceptional highs IMHO.

Exceptional bang for the buck.

12. Gregory S

Gregory S Stunt Coordinator

John and Craig,

Can you elaborate on the surrounds (QS-8, QS-4)?

Have you compared them to diploes? Can you localize the sound? Do they have good ambience/wrap-around effect? How well do they work for movies and music?

Thanks,

Greg

13. Dave Simpson

Dave Simpson Second Unit

Another enthusiastic supporter of the M3s here, John! Customer service is unmatched, the price is just silly, and the M3s themselves are simply almost peerless. Surprising bass given its' size, smooth mids, and crystal clear highs, and never fatiguing. Fit and finish is fine, as well. I wish you luck with the purchase, and look forward to reading your comments.

As an aside, I'm compelled to express my pleasure with the positive attention Axiom has been receiving here, and elsewhere on the 'net, of late. Time was, back when I'd originally purchased their EP-175 sub in Nov '99, that I'd ocassionally post here asking if anyone else was familiar with the brand, and my posts were greeted largely with indifference. Not anymore. I've since purchased a pair of M60s, replacing my PSB Image 4Ts, as my mains, and I can't imagine that I could have purchased a more impressive and capable, brand-new pair of floor-standers for $800CDN (just over $500USD), tax in. Cheers!

DS.

14. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

As of now, I'm planning to get a pair of M22s with the 150 center. But I wonder if anyone's got the M40? Same price when you factor in the stands, and clearly it would have greater bass extension... but is that worthwhile considering these will likely need a sub even for 2-channel music sources?

15. Marcus Lewis

Marcus Lewis Stunt Coordinator

Hey JohnRuggiero, what do you have driving your setup?

The more details, the better ...

16. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I'm gonna order a pair of the M40s soon from Marc @ Audioshop. I was originally considering the M22s, but Rich...you hit the nail on the head...I dedided to go with the M40s because of speaker stand price.

I'll let you know my impressions when they come.

17. Quentin

Quentin Cinematographer

Quentin H
    I have a pair of M22's with the VP150 center and I use a VPZero as my rear/6 channel (with Polk f/x300's as surround).

I don't use a stand - had to place my bookshelf speakers ON a bookshelf. Love the sound - very clear mids and great dialogue. I don't consider it a "mellow" sound...some may even call it "bright", but I like the crispness because I listen to HT 90% of the time over music.