What's new

Axiom M60s vs Diva 4.1s - anybody heard both? (1 Viewer)

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Both look like great speakers. Both look like best bangs for the buck. It likely all comes down to a matter of preference - what's yours? :)
And does anyone think the much higher efficiency of the Axiom M60s will make a great deal of difference when paired with a moderately powered receiver (Outlaw 1050, 65 watts/channel) as opposed to the Diva 4.1s?
(And does anyone know how much the shipping on the Divas is? I've heard it's astronomical!)

Grady Hollums

Second Unit
Real Name
D.G. Hollums
Well, after a wonderful talk with the Divas owner, Mark, I found out that even he said that the Axiom speakers are good for music, built for theater I don't think the Divas can be touched for the price and performance!!! The shipping on the Divas is really high, but that is because they know how to take care of their speakers. I don't see anything unlike the shipping practices of the SVS sub woofers. The shipping for 4.1 (pair), R3 (pair), CC3, and one 2.1 was a little over $200 for me in KY. I am sure it changes for what town you live in, but I am sure that Russell or Mark would be more than happy to help you out! They really are great speakers and the customer service can't be beat as well. I think the two most perfect companies for customer support so far are: SVS subs with Ron and Tom, and now the Diva company with Mark or Russell!

I hope you find your fit and good luck!!!

KonradN

Stunt Coordinator
I found out that even he said that the Axiom speakers are good for music, built for theater I don't think the Divas can be touched for the price and performance!!!
How can a speaker that is good for music not excel in a ht environment?
anyways back to the original question. Just by looking at the specs you can see that the m60 will extend lower and be able to play louder and cleaner at high volume levels when compared to the diva 4.1. I don't know how much the shipping is for the 4.1, but if you order the m60 from the outlet then I am sure you will pay less than the 4.1 shipped. Another thing to consider is that divas surrounds and center a fairly expensive as well compared to axiom speakers.
cost aside I think the most important difference between the axiom and diva speakers is that diva speakers are considered to be more laid back sounding while people would characterize the axioms as forward sounding. I own the m50 and have owned the m22 and to me the sound is just right. Unfortunately I have not had the opportunity to listen to some diva speakers but here is link to a book shelf shootout from various manufactures including diva and axiom: http://www.cheaphometheater.com/Speaker%20Shootout.htm

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Wow, Grady, that's some expensive shipping! I wonder what it would be for just the 4.1s (I'm guessing about $75 at least).

Konrad, I think you hit the bullseye regarding the distinctive sound of these speakers - and I can't help but think I'd prefer the more laid-back sound of the Divas, generally speaking. On the other hand, I'd probably be getting more speaker with the Axiom (plays lower and cleaner at higher volumes). Ah, decisions...

I think it's realy interesting that you had M22s and M50s. I was pretty well sold on the M50s until reading a recent comparison with the 60s - the reviewer found much to like in both speakers, but found the imaging was better with the 60s. On the other hand, they also seemed a tad brighter (which may be the price one pays for more precise imaging). Since the M22s have the 5.25 midrange drivers, I wonder if you feel there's much difference in the overall imaging and midrange between the 22 and the 50 (bass extension aside)?

Grady Hollums

Second Unit
Real Name
D.G. Hollums
It is a lot, but I am glad to see that I will not have to worry about returning the speakers due to shipping damage. That is good enough for me and worth the cost. I am not sure how much the shipping for just the 4.1's would be, but I am sure it would be a lot less.

David Head

Second Unit
Rich,
This reply to a thread on Axiom's site contains one person's impression when he compared the Swan Diva 4.1, C3, 2.1 vs. Axiom M60Ti, VP150, M22Ti. He ordered both sets of speakers and compared them in his home.
David

Sean D

Stunt Coordinator
You'll also find that the rest of that thread(for the most part) is a giant flame fest posted by a slew of anonymous posters just like the review posted above. I take a review like that one with a grain of salt considering he posts anonymously, but that's my 2 cents. Another good place to check out is here:AVS Search using Axiom and Diva
Again, just my 2 cents,
Sean

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Thanks to both of you! I have searched the avsforum and found some info, though most of them are comparing the M80s to the 6.1s, and the M3s to the 2.1s. Still, some very good info can be gleaned there.

Mr. Anonymous' review is also interesting (and directly on point) - jeez, he paid $348 in shipping alone for the Divas! I have a hard time understanding how the Divas could reproduce voices so clearly, and yet sound "mushy" when it comes to imaging. I'm quite sure the Divas must do a far better job imaging than what he lets on, but it doesn't surprise me to hear that the Axioms are better in this regard.

But, dammit, all that about the voices being so much clearer on the Divas is very convincing. If they can reproduce the human voice in such a superior way, I can only guess that the same would be true of the complex timbre of a saxophone or a trumpet. I mean, if the voices sound so much "more real" and in the room, wouldn't I find the same to be true of Illinois Jacquet's sax or Clifford Brown's trumpet?

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Sean D when he advises to take that anonymous poster's review with a grain of salt. However, I wholeheartedly agree with the poster on this point:
The Axiom sound is maybe just a little forward but has had NO fatiguing effect on the ears. And probably has made me not have to concentrate as hard to hear the details in what I'm listening to.
I can (and have) listened to my M50s for hours on end and have never experienced any fatigue whatsoever, even straight out of the box.
Much of what I hear has a lot to do with my system, room, set up, etc. so don't take my word for it. If I were you, I'd keep on reading reviews until I saw a common thread throughout all of the reviews rather than one here and there raving or slamming the particular speaker in question.

David Head

Second Unit
Rich,
Are you familiar with Link Removed? You can register to audition the Diva speakers with an owner in you area (if one exists).
I agree with Sean that the thread I linked to is mostly trash, but thought you might be interested in a few of Tim's comments. I haven't seen any other direct comparisons of the DIva 4.1s with an Axiom speaker.
David

KonradN

Stunt Coordinator
Since the M22s have the 5.25 midrange drivers, I wonder if you feel there's much difference in the overall imaging and midrange between the 22 and the 50 (bass extension aside)?
I am no expert when it comes to evaluating speaker performance and the result of my side by side comparison was that the m22ti sounded identical to the m50ti. Of course the m50ti has better bass extension and output, but that aside I couldn't see much difference between the two.

Juan_R

Supporting Actor
Rich,

if you have any questions about how much shipping would cost, then just call the guys at AV123.com and they will let you know ahead of time. You can also e-mail them ahead of time, that is what I did. My shipping charges were in the $170's (I can't remember the exact price) and that included the 5.1's,(I have the 6.1's now) 2.1's and C3. I am also in southern CA so it is closer to CO than MA.

Russell _T

Supporting Actor
If you look at any halfway objective information on these two speaker lines, you'll find they both represent excellent value in sound. I don't think the review posted on the Axiom board is credible however. It has too many inconsistencies. I have never heard the Axioms unfortunately, but I have heard the Divas, and their imaging and detail is superb throughout the range. If there is any difference in sonic performance between these speakers, it would be marginal at best, and end up being a matter of what the listener eventually prefers. Build quality on the other hand is more quantifiable and the general consensus is that the Divas win hands down. I also have never heard of anyone paying that much to have the Divas shipped either. My 6.1 package was closer to $225.00.

Sean D

Stunt Coordinator
$348 seems kind of high to me. I ordered the 6.1,and 2.1 with stands package(the C3 was on backorder). Shipping costs were $254 U.S for AIR shipping to Canada.

Jack Keck

Second Unit
Hey, Rich,

I'm really gonna exhibit some ignorance here. How far is Boston from any semi-major town in Canada? I ask because, living just north of the Canadian border (Yes, Detroit IS north of Windsor.), as I do, I can go into Windsor, where there is a store that sells Axiom speakers. Even if you could make a day trip out of it, it might be worth a trip into Canada to check out the Axioms without paying the shipping.

Like I say, my knowledge of the geography of the Boston area is limited, so the suggestion may be totally unworkable for you. Just so you understand that Axiom speakers ARE sold retail in Canada.

Good luck, but I know you'll wind up with something you'll like.

SkiingNinja

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean Ries
I have to agree with Russ on this. Both speakers are an excellent value. I have heard the M3's vs the 2.1's and though I personally prefer the 2.1, the M3 is an excellent speaker for the price.
Some of the stuff he says in that review is just silly. He even states that he has no SPL meter...even though a less than 1dB variance can tip the scales to the louder speaker.
I would try and hear both in someones home. The Diva's are easy with http://www.audioenvy.com
Sean

BryanZ

Screenwriter
In glancing over the review I would wonder how much of the difference could be contributed to speaker sensitivity. If everything else is equal (room, equipment, volume control on the receiver) is equal and one speaker has 89db versus the other at 87db the louder one would win. But if the volume (as taken with a SPL meter) is equal and one speaker is found to be better than the other in a DBT then that is something to consider. Unfortunately here you just do not know ...

Russell W

Agent
Rich,
Please give us a call for a price quote. $348 sounds waaaaaaaay out of line for your location and that package.
We may just have to create a special just for YOU!:D
Russell Woolfolk
AV123.com

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks