Axiom M50 owners?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brad O, Apr 9, 2002.

1. Brad O

Brad O Auditioning

I would like to hear from Axiom M50 owners to find out how the overall performance is on these speakers. Especially the midrange quality.

Thank you.

-Brad

2. Dan_Jones

Dan_Jones Stunt Coordinator

I talk a bit about my M50's in this thread. If you've got anymore questions about them feel free to ask [​IMG]

3. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

So, how do you like the maple finish, Dan? [​IMG]
    I'm thinking it may be the least "imposing" of the three finishes (WAF considerations), but wondering if it still has the beautiful look I've read about with regard to the black and cherry finishes. I prefer the maple in pictures, but I've changed my mind about a finish preference based on a print ad upon seeing the item in person before. FWIW, it was also a preference for maple that switched to a cherry-like finish (a really reddish so-called "mahogany") upon actually seeing it (the CSW Newtons).
    I'm sure you've probably addressed this before, but are you having any trouble placing them? Do they need to be a mile out from the wall to keep from being boomy and to start imaging?
    Do you ever feel that they are too bright and fatiguing?
    Do they sing? :b

4. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

Brad,
    You don't have to look very hard on this site to find out how I (or Dan for that matter) feel about the M50s! [​IMG]
    They have always sounded great to me and since I've recently changed some things in my listening environment and to the speakers themselves, they've only gotten better. A few weeks ago, I pulled both speakers off the back wall (and one of them out of a "bad" corner) by about 2 feet or so and added Audio Selections cone isolators to both speakers. By doing so (as Rich touches on above), the bass was less boomy (it tightened up a lot) and the imaging improved significantly. They also seemed to take on an "airier" quality if that makes any sense at all.
    Rich,
    I have never felt like the M50s were too bright or fatiguing, even right out of the box. In fact, I find them to be very listenable compared to some other speakers I have heard. Don't quote me on this because I'm no expert, but I suspect that this has to do with some roll-off in the extremely high frequencies. That's not to say that the M50s are not detailed because they most definitely are. It's just that I've heard some speakers that are technically "right on" (and are much more expensive than the Axioms) in the higher frequencies, but to me, they were pretty painful to listen to. I guess that this also has to do with amplification as well.
    Dan,
    From the thread that you linked to above, I noticed that you said that, now that you have a sub, you have the 50s set as "small." Have you ever tried running them "large?" I have the same crossover (80hz) and have been running the 50s as large for some time now...IMHO, the sound is a lot more "full." If you feel like giving it a try, lemme know what you think...

5. Brad O

Brad O Auditioning

Ron,

Thanks for your reply. I e-mailed Dan a reply asking him the same thing... basically how does the M50 sound in Large mode. That's how I plan to run them, as my receiver has a subwoofer setting for either Normal or +Main. If I run it as Normal, most of the LFE signals are sent to the sub. What I really like is that when set to Large and in Music mode, nothing is sent to the sub which is exactly what I want. Subs suck with music.

I have been trying to decide between the M60's and M50's. The M60 has the dedicated midrange, but I'm wondering if I can get by without it. I normally listen to low to medium volumes, so I don't need the extra "volume" that most people buy the upper level speakers for.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks.

-Brad

6. Dan_Jones

7. Dan_Jones

8. Dan_Jones

9. Robert_M_Jones

I recently purchased some M60s , VP150 and QS8s all in cherry. The cherry is a little darker than they appear in the pictures on the Axiom site but they still look great. My cherry Salamader audio rack is a little brighter/lighter cherry but they still look good together.

10. Ron Boster

Ron Boster Screenwriter

I have been "lurking" in terms of the Axiom threads...but am really interested in their speakers. I've had the Atlantic Technology 350 series w/2 SVsubwoofers and a pair of 270's for the rears in a 7.1 set-up. I like the "warmer" sound from the AT system....but sometimes I feel I'm missing details and smoother panning from right to left and front to back. I've never been won over by my set up in the sides and rears (seems restrained, if that makes sense). The design of the QS-8's really sounds interesting.

On to the question: Does anyone know/experienced/or could give me an educated guess as to the difference between the two lines of speakers?

Here's what my other system consists of:

Lexicon MC-1

7 Marantz MA-700 amps

Zenith 1080 HD Sat Rec

Sony 7700 modified by MSB Tech w/digital board

The room is a dedicated (non-acoustically treated)14 w x 20L

And is used for HT only!

I'm interested in the M50's for the front, VP 150 center, and two pairs of QS-8 for the sides and rear. The sides would be mounted on the QSS8 and the rears on wall mounts.

Even though what I'm looking to replace is priced about the same new as the Axiom line, I preceive from other's reports a distinct increase in performance. Just as I did with the AT sub's Vs the Svsubwoofers.

Thanks for everyone's perspective

Ron