What's new

Axiom M40s just arrived and I must say... (1 Viewer)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Fantastic! Right out of the box they sound great. I'm glad I decided to upgrade from the old, and small, Energy Take 2 for my fronts. These utterly kick ass...I can only image what the M80s sound like, hehe.

Dave George

Stunt Coordinator
Congrats on the new purchase! Just last night I finally hooked up the M3ti that I bought used a few weeks ago ( I know, shame on me). I'm at school and my Parasound 2003 is at home, so I had to use my Berning MicroZOTL (1 watt tube amp). Sounded suprisingly good, despite the incredibly poor placement I was forced into. I can't wait to get my Outlaw 950 and order mains and a center from axiom (these'll be my rears). I know I want the VP 150 center, but can't seem to decide on the mains. The plan has been m22s, but sometimes I think I should just spring for the 80s.......

peter_anderson

Stunt Coordinator
Matt: please keep us updated as they break in. I am considering the M40s, but would like to know how long they take to break in, and how much better they sound after break-in.

thanks and enjoy!

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Yes, thanks very much for the feedback, Matt!
I'm presently trying to decide between the M22s and the M40s, each having its own pros and cons. Unfortunately, there hasn't been nearly as much feedback from M40 owners, so I appreciate every scrap of info and new opinion I can find.
Keep us updated as they break in... and if you have a chance to compare against a pair of M22s, lemme know! :)

Dave George

Stunt Coordinator
Rich,
Despite my above comment, realistically I'm in the same boat as you. I'm sure the m80s are great but I just have too many other HT expenses on the horizon to justify them. The M22s look good because they have the same drivers as the centers, the M40s look good because they don't need a stand and have the same drivers as the M3 (which I'll use as a surround.) Plus, they likely have better bass. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the pros/cons of each, maybe it'll help to make my decision easier. :)

Eric Boudreau

Auditioning
I received my M80's last week and they're great! I ordered the VP150 and QS-8's, they're on their way to me. Axiom's turn around time is awesome.

Hopefully the 20-39Pci on order will arrive while I'm young!

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
I own the M22's and the VP150. I love 'em, and the M22's are perfect for me - but, truth be told, if I had the room I'd get the M80's. I just had to get bookshelf speakers because they are on a bookshelf and I don't have room for floor standers.

Dave George

Stunt Coordinator
Quentin - as of right now, that's the setup I'm leaning towards. How do the M22s integrate with the 150? Most people seem to mate the 150 with the higher priced floorstanders.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Quentin, I think any of us would go for the M80s if we had the room/disposable cash/etc!
But it's the M40 vs. M22 thing that's got me stumped. Essentially the same price when you factor in the necessary stands for the M22. The M40 clearly has better bass extension, but the M22 reputedly betters it in the mid and upper ranges.
Even if I could demo both in my house on my equipment, I'd probably still be torn. The M22s better for this, the M40s better for that...
Ah hell, what color did you get, Matt? ;)
Truth be told, I'm also torn between the cherry and the maple finishes (not so interested in the black). So, uh... seriously, what color didja get?

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Hehe...I got black because that's the color of my entertainment center. Right now I don't exactly care about the aestetic appeal of my setup, because I live in a shitty little aparmtent on a college student budget (that's right HT Gear and Beer...hehe).

So far I've had them on for probably about 20 hours, and I'm noticing better mids than yesterday. In fact I was just watching some TV between classes...I came out of the bathroom and heard a woman scream, I opened my door and looked out in the hall...but of course it was just comedy central...hehe. I was lacking bass before (I've only got an Energy e:XL S8 Sub), but coupled with these speakers the bass is better in every aspect. So far, no complaints...I'm gonna go watch Fight Club or The Matrix now, so I'll keep you guys posted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks