What's new

Axiom M3 Mount w/ B-Tech Front Clamp (1 Viewer)

Joe.Kuta

Stunt Coordinator
Link Removed
Link Removed With

1. Would this work. (i am aware that i should avoid mounting rear ported speakers this close to the wall)
2. Would i be able to mount the speaker with the grill on top of the mount (in the picture the mount is on top of the grill).
3. Am i nuts to spend $50/set? Should i just make some "wall-mounted" speaker stands (ie shelves) instead??
(Speaker Stands are a difficult option)

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Joe.Kuta,
Go out to www.axiomaudio.com and sign up for their Audio File newsletter. Hopefully, they'll send you this month's version immediately (there have only been 2 total). Axiom will soon be introducing their own wall mount bracket, so you may want to hold off on your purchase for right now.

Joe.Kuta

Stunt Coordinator
Alright... i assumed Axiom's new mounts would not require drilling into the speaker.
However it looks like they will, which is something i was trying to avoid.

Anyone have thoughts on drilling into speakers?
The thought of it is painful!

The speakers are never going to be used un-mounted, but still... i just thought it was a no-no. Seems like one.

Comments?

Ron Boster

Screenwriter
I wouldn't be concerned about drilling two small holes into the M3's....in fact, I did that to mine. Two small screws on each side to secure them within the wall mounted side brackets. Better than risking them falling out of the brackets caused by the SV sub rumblings. ;)
Good Luck
Ron

kevitra

Second Unit
I emailed Axiom about using the front-clamping brackets. They said that they would not work with the grill on.

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
Yes, I looked at the front-clamping brackets and came to the same conclusion. Leaving the grill off was not an option for WAF reasons, so I went with brackets that required drilling into the back of the speaker. I don't think it's any problem, and the Axiom staff obviously think it's OK based on what they've said on their message board and the fact that their own bracket will require drilling. The only possible issue could be later down the road when you want to sell the speakers. Unless the buyer is planning to wall-mount the speakers (in which case you can just leave the brackets intact), it might hurt the resale prospects.

Joe.Kuta

Stunt Coordinator
I'm prob. gonna get the B-Tech BT5's, as these look good, esp. for the price.
Can anyone give me a reason not to get these?
and,
(for other people's benefit)
Would my option #2 work?
Basically, mount the speakers w/ the grills off, and then put the grill on over on top.
Seems like it'd work, the grill might be *slightly* pushed out on the bottom, however.
-Joe
/edit:
kevitra, thanks for the info!

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
Joe,

Those BT5's don't give you much space away from the wall, if you need to angle the speaker down very much you probably won't be able to with those; also you want the rear port on the M3's to have at least a few inches of breathing room.

I don't know if you have Lowe's Home Improvement stores in your area, but if you do that's where I got my brackets. I don't remember the brand off the top of my head, but they're metal, they're rated for either 20 or 30lbs (can't remember), and they're designed to make angling the speaker down easier while still having plenty of breathing room behind the speaker. They were $20 a pair. If I can find the packaging when I get home I'll post back with the exact model, but I saw them in two different Lowe's here, so I'm guessing many of their stores carry them.

Ron Boster

Screenwriter
As far as resale value....

I let the seller know about my AT speakers, which had been mounted....I was able to use a dab of wood putty and a touch up marker and you had to look closely for the hole.
Don't worry about it.

Ron

Joe.Kuta

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff Kohn,

The BT5's only provide 20°, but i think this is enough.. i have a laser-level and a protractor, we'll see!
/edit: They have 3" distance to wall, which according to axiom's forums, is enough.

However, i am interested in those ones you found @ lowes, i'll check out their website. Do they look good? or are they more DIY grade.
If you find the model/make i'd appreciate it.

-Joe

//edit: lowes site has some "Vantage Point" speaker wall mounts, hold 30lbs. I think these are sold @ bestbuy for $70 or some insane amount, however they aren't $20 in my Zip, $32. Are these the ones you are talking about?
(i'd provide link but their site is all cookied out!)

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
Joe,

The problem with the smaller brackets is that even though they say 20 degrees, you may actually have less than that because of the height of a bookshelf speaker. I found that I couldn't tilt down some similar brackets I bought very far at all without the bottom of the speaker hitting the wall.

As for the Lowe's bracket, I looked but I don't have the packaging anymore, sorry. I don't know "Vantage Point" rings a bell or not. I can tell you the brackets I have are not fancy but they look fine, in fact the way the speakers are mounted you can't even really see them unless you walk up under the speaker. There's a metal 'L' bracket that screws into the wall, and another bracket that screws into the speaker. It's not exactly an 'L' since it has some tilt built in. There is a joint where the two brackets attach for mounting, and you have quite a bit of leeway for tilt and swivel. IMHO they put just the right amount of space between the wall and the speaker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks