axiom m2ti

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matthew BW, Jun 24, 2002.

1. Matthew BW

Matthew BW Stunt Coordinator

I am looking at either getting a klipsch synergy six system or possibly going with four axiom m2ti's and the 150 center. I already have a subwoofer. Has anyone used the m2ti's. I know the m22ti's are supposed to be really good but I have not heard about the m2ti's. axiom is selling them for 180 a pair. They will be hooked up to a kenwwod vr507 reciver and will be replacing sony towers and sony bookshelfs in the rear , and a sony center. I have to believer they will sound alot better than this. My one worry about using the m2ti's for the rear is that my rears are very close to the wall and they have the back vent. Would I be better getting the m0's for the rear?

soryy this is so long.

Thanks,
    matt

2. Nick_Shah

Nick_Shah Stunt Coordinator

3. Eric_Singer

Eric_Singer Agent

Axiom is soon coming out with a replacement for the M2ti, the M2i. It is the same speaker, but with the same tweeter used in the M3, M22 and towers as opposed to the hybrid tweeter used in the smaller bookshelves. This should make a significant difference and is worth the wait. I obviously haven't heard the m2i/vp150 combination, but I'd imagine that they would match up quite nicely, as they use all the same drivers.

Eric

4. Dave_Olds

Dave_Olds Stunt Coordinator

5. Eric_Singer

Eric_Singer Agent

As I haven't heard either one, I can't really say how much better it is, but if you want to use a VP150, the m2i would match much better as it uses the same tweeter. I agree the $180 special is a great deal - perhaps it is worth giving them a call and seeing what they say.

6. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

I think you should step up to the M3 or wait for the M2i upgrade. The difference in price over the old M2Ti is slight, whereas the difference in performance may be quite great. No one, and I mean no one, talks about the M2Ti, much less praises it. And I've looked. Even on Axiom's message boards... nothing.

7. Eric_Singer

Eric_Singer Agent

The M2i *is* the upgraded M2Ti, and it will have the same tweeter as the VP150. The M2Ti (the one currently available) does not. I also find it to be a bit of a bad sign that the Axiom message boards never mention the M2Ti, which is why I feel the M2i might be worth waiting for.

8. Dave_Olds

Ian stated the M2Ti never "caught on" and the only reason purchases were made was due to size...Smaller applications....Here is an exerpt of the interview

THE NEW M2i:
    MAKING A GOOD SPEAKER BETTER
    Once considered more of a black art (with a little bit of science thrown in), loudspeaker design has evolved over the past several decades from a hobbyist’s indulgence to a careful mix of acoustical science, electrical and mechanical engineering, and, of course, listening tests.

Axiom founder and chief designer Ian Colquhoun sat down over the weekend with interviewer and editor Alan Lofft and shared some of his thoughts on speaker design and what led up to the modified and improved new Axiom M2i bookshelf speaker.

Tell me, Ian, in the evolution of the M2 speaker, what made you decide you could improve its performance?

The main thing I wanted to do with the M2 was make it just like the M3ti and the M22, but physically smaller, yet have exactly the same performance level, obviously without quite as much bass because of the smaller woofer and cabinet in the M2.

Had the previous version (the M2ti) been selling well?

Not bad, but I think mainly it was its size more than anything else that was selling--actually, its performance was quite good. Now the new version’s performance is somewhat outstanding. .

When you looked at the older model, what did you decide to do to upgrade its performance?

The main thing was to change the tweeter to the same model used in the M22ti and the M3ti. The previous tweeter also used a titanium dome but it was the smaller ½-inch voice-coil version, whereas the new M2i uses the identical 1-inch voice-coil titanium dome.

And when you substituted the new tweeter, how did the speaker’s response change?

With the 5 ¼-inch woofer in the M2, the new larger voice-coil tweeter actually mates up with the woofer better. The smaller tweeter (with the ½-inch voice coil) is pretty good for the 4-inch and 3-inch woofers on the smaller Axioms because the woofers on those models go up so high in frequency with really good off-axis performance and have generally lower power handling capabilities .
    But in the new M2, we use the 5 ¼-inch woofer up to 2,700 Hz (there’s a crossover on the woofer), and then the new tweeter picks up the response from 2.7 kHz to the end of the high-frequency spectrum.

From an engineering viewpoint, what advantage does the larger voice-coil impart to the M2i?

The thing is, if you use crossover frequencies (to the tweeter) below 3,000 Hz, maybe even up to 3,500 Hz, the smaller voice-coil tweeter just doesn’t have the power handling to mate properly with the 5 1/4" woofer . In the older M2, we had to use a higher crossover frequency, at about 4,000 Hz, which is even a little bit low for that tweeter with that woofer , but about as far as you can push it down. However, in the new M2i the larger tweeter lets us cross over at 2,700 Hz, a much lower frequency than the old tweeter could handle.

And tonally, or acoustically, how does that change the performance of the new M2i?

Oh, the imaging is much improved.

Is it because the new tweeter’s performance is more linear?

Oh, much better off-axis response, so that gives you an improved midrange, so your vocals are better, and a better soundstage. . .

So a better horizontal off-axis response would also imply that you’d get a more spacious image beyond the borders of the speakers in stereo, and more linear off-axis reflections (off the walls and so on)?

Oh yes. The basic rule--and obviously there’s a whole bunch more to it than this--is that the most linear response in the most possible directions will give you the best speaker, and that has to be your starting point. Without that at the core, whatever else you’re going to do is not going to give you great results.

Are you changing the model number?

Yes. It’s becoming just an M2i. It’s a subtle change, but we thought it was important because one of the actual components was changing so dramatically, and also because the performance of the M2i is closer to--not identical, of course--but, as you would say, "similarly good" to that of the M22ti and the M3ti.

Thanks, Ian.

-------------

You can base a decision from the man himself if you prefer.....It makes sense - $240 for the M2Ti vs $275 for the M3 - a no-brainer decision.....$180 - thats another story....$160 (as I got them) what the hey, cant buy a mass market speaker for that....But then, I am not using them as a main speaker either....If these are your main speakers - may be worth the wait (but just better of going to M3's, IMO).....Just looking for a budget buy, cant beat this discounted price....Closeouts are 98% of the time a better bargin for the price than the product that replaces them at list pricing....value-wise....

9. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

(Eric, I see! I'll alter my previous post to avoid any confusion between the M2Ti and the M2i models.)

10. Matthew BW

Matthew BW Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for all the help. I will definatly wait for the new model. Now I just need to decide between these and the klipsch synergy six system. I will be using it mostly for HT and I know the synergy system is supposed to be goood for that. I do like the klipsch sound.

11. Jeff_Fitz

Jeff_Fitz Stunt Coordinator

Dave:

You might have some bad math there. The M2Ti's are $180 a pair, not $180 each.

Matthew:

I don't know if this will change your decision, but Marc at Audioshop has the M2ti's on for $199 Canadian. That is somewhere in the neighbourhood of $130 US.

Jeff

12. Dave_Olds

13. Eric_Singer

Eric_Singer Agent

Again, I haven't heard the M2Ti's, but I can safely say that Axioms sounds nothing like Klipsch. If you like the Klipsch sound, then the Axioms probably aren't for you and you'd be happier with the Klipsch.