Axiom M2ti or Paradigm Titans?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Justin Ward, Aug 21, 2002.

1. Justin Ward

Justin Ward Supporting Actor

Which speakers would you recommend in an entry level HT? It is used for 60percent music/40 percent HT. Both look like great speakers for the price. I can get the Paradigms locally for $230 CAD and the Axioms factory direct(blemished) for $196 CAD with free shipping. both look like good speakers.

2. Nick_Shah

Nick_Shah Stunt Coordinator

I auditioned a bunch of Paradigm bookshelves, along with the Axiom M3Ti's and M22Ti's. I decided to go with the Axiom M3Ti's, as I preferred their sound.

Now, there may be some issues if you're going to try and timbre match a centre channel with the Axiom M2Ti's. Their tweeter is one that is not found on any of the Axiom centre channels. This may pose a problem. However, any speaker 'higher up' than the M2Ti (M3Ti, M22Ti, etc.) has a tweeter that matches those in the centre channels.

However, this is a more expensive option (as I'm sure you know). You may want to consider the new Axiom M2i. This speaker is very much like the current M2Ti, except that the tweeter is updated to match the one in the M3Ti and up, as well as the one in the Axiom centre channels.

Of course, this centre channel timbre matching issue doesn't exist with the Paradigm Titans, as the CC70 or CC170 will match them.

However, I may be totally off-base, and this may not be a big deal at all. If you can find a local Axiom dealer, and give the M2Ti's a whirl, that would be a good way to decide.

Good luck, I hope this helps,

-Nick

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    If you can squeeze in the M3Ti, definitely better than the Titans. Have not heard the M2Ti, and never heard of the M2i, but I would expect them both to be as good or better than the Titans as mains. I have 2 pairs of Titans as surrounds, and while I like them, they just didn't cut it as mains for me. Between the two, the tweeters sound the same to me, but the advantage to the Titans is they have much more bass than the M3Ti. However that bass also seems to come at the expense of some midrange clarity, which is where the M3Ti easily is head and shoulders above the Titan. Another plus for the Axioms, is that you can buy a single speaker if you do a 6.1 setup or if you want to use 3 identical speakers across the front stage.
    If you do choose the Titans, the CC170 or CC270 are perfect matches for them.
    If you can get them locally, I'd say go listen to both, with as similar of a receiver as you can get a hold of, with your favorite music, full range, no sub and let your ears decide. [​IMG]

4. Jason Kirkpatri

Jason Kirkpatri Second Unit

My system uses Titans for front mains and surrounds with the CC170 for the center; all complimented with a ten inch sub. For an entry level HT , I think that this is a great system (I know that I like it!).

One benefit: when I bought my speakers, my local dealer gave me a discount and free stands (fronts). You shouldn't have to pay full retail, especially if you buy more than one speaker package (pair).

Just my thoughts, but for entry level, I can't complain. I do agree that the Titans are not the best choice for mains, if you listen to music. I primarily don't. Mostly HT, and they work well for that purpose.

Jason

5. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

Any of you guys in Canada listen to the new Dahlquist line? They are less expensive than paradigm and a little more than Axiom. You can check out my review on here. Marc from the audioshop sells them but I'm sure there should be a store in your area that does if your in Canada. They sound great!

6. Robertto

Robertto Stunt Coordinator

Nick, how would you describe the difference between the M3s and M22s ? I have the M22s now and am curiouse to the dfii between the 2. One could ponder to assume that based on the 1 large vs 2 smaller drivers how they may differ but you know what assuming does :)

Thanks!

7. Justin Ward

Maybe I should include a little more information. Mostly for music I like bands like Rage Against the Machine, Linkin Park etc... For movies I mostly watch action. I have to admit that unlike most people here I dislike listening to my music flat. I almost always listen to my music with loudness turned on. I just find that flat music sound just that, flat. I like tight bass though and clear treble. Midrange is of less concern to me. I will be able to audition the Titans but not the Axioms.

8. Nick_Shah

Justin,
    If you can get to either Halifax or Truro, Wacky Wheatley's is an authorized Axiom dealer, and will have some speakers to demo. Check the Axiom website (www.axiomaudio.com) under the FAQ section for the Canadian retailer list.
    Robertto,
    It was several months ago, but I seem to recall that both the M3Ti and M22Ti were very impressive, although I didn't feel there was enough of a sonic difference to justify the extra cost. As I'm sure you'd expect, the midrange seemed a bit smoother with the M22Ti, but the M3Ti was no slouch either. I also already owned a pair of 24" stands, and didn't feel like shelling out for more expensive speakers, and 16" stands to boot.
    And I agree about assuming. [​IMG]
    -Nick

9. Nick_Shah

Double post... :b

10. Justin Ward

I should have visited Wacky's when I took my drivers test in Bible Hill(near Truro)yesterday(yes, I did pass!). I don't think I will get the best price there, but it will give me a chance to listen to the Axioms.

11. JohnBrianW.

JohnBrianW. Stunt Coordinator

From what your saying your listening style would fit well with the M22's. Yes, I know they're a lot more, but from everything I've read it would be worth it to save up!

Good to see another East coaster here (from CB)