Axiom M22ti's or M50's?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ReggieW, Jun 30, 2002.

1. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

I currently have a DENON 1802 with JBL N-26's as my mains and am looking to replace them with the speakers listed in the thread title. The M50's are 200.00 more than the M22ti's, but are they that much better? I know the price difference between the two will be even less when I consider the M50's don't require floor stands like the M22's will. I just bought a Sony 222es SACD player and am in the process of getting a Denon 1600 DVD-A player and feel my system has now outgrown the JBL N26's (I have N-24's in the rear). I know the hi-rez music spec recommends full range speakers all around, but I simply don't have the funds or space for this, so I am limited for now to the front channels (It would definitely be cheaper to get an Outlaw ICBM than to buy 3 pairs of M50's!). Any thoughts our recommendations would be appreciated.

Reg

2. Yuli

Yuli Agent

I was able to listen to and compare the M22Ti, M40, M50 and M60 recently. I am not much of an audiophile but i liked the sound of the M50 over the M40 and M22. The M50 were much more fuller and full of juice compared to the other two.
    In the end i went with the M60, which are to arrive later this week [​IMG]
    Overall you can't go wrong with Axiom speakers, very nice stuff...
    Good luck :b

3. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

Although I can't comment on the M22s except to say that they've received rave reviews, I can say that I've been enjoying my M50 for just about a year now. They have remained consistently wonderful sounding through all sorts of upgrades and I can honestly say that not only do they seem to like extra power, they perform better when played loud! I also like the fact that you don't need stands with 'em! [​IMG]

4. Nate Haley

Nate Haley Agent

I have the Axiom M50's(mains) and M22's(rears) powered by a Denon 2802. I went through the same thing as you and originally ordered the M22's but the sound was just not "full" enough for me (they really lack in the low end).
    So I decided to keep the M22's for rears and upgrade to the M50's for my mains.
    Thus far I love the sound of the M50's, they sound fairly similar to the M22's but with much more low end.

You can't beat the price/perfomance ratio of Axiom speakers.

5. Fong

Fong Stunt Coordinator

i have m22s, and though they do lack a low extension; i have my sony sawm40 to handle that (it integrates nicely i might add). i believe that axiom uses the same tweeter from the m3ti and up, so the main difference (i think) would be a lower extension if you were to go with a tower. the only flaw i can think of in that is maybe the bass is boomy or has an FR hump.

go with the towers if you dont want to use a sub. i would recommend getting the m22s + stands ($79 for the m22 custom 16" stands or $89 for their regular 24" stands) and you get to have a bit over $100 that can go towards a sub or some more music or whatever. my 2 cents

6. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

Fong,

Regarding the M50s,

7. Fong

Fong Stunt Coordinator

oh really? i had no idea carpet spikes had a role in sound reporduction.
    heh and i expect nothing less from axiom [​IMG]

8. Jeff Kohn

Jeff Kohn Supporting Actor

9. Fong

Fong Stunt Coordinator

that's good because it just doesnt make sense how they could.

10. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

Perhaps I should've stated that I have an Aire Rava sub on the way, so the M22'S lack of low-end will not be an issue. I think.

Reg

11. Fong

Fong Stunt Coordinator

heh well then id recommend the m22s.

12. Joe Rison

Joe Rison Auditioning

I just recently completed an Axiom setup, M22s, VP150, and M2s as surrounds (M2s are on sale, ridiculously cheap) driven by an onkyo 696. System is 90% HT and I have to say I think the M22s and VP150 are wonderful. I have them sitting on top of these decorative things the wife made, she insisted, so they really blend in well to the room. The M2's are on identical stands. Another nice feature is that the M2s look like little brothers to the M22s.

My friend has the M50s without a sub in a pretty big room. He didn't want a sub because he's in an apartment (enough complaints already!) I think they are a little lacking on the low end too. Are the M22's lacking more on the low end? I'm sure they are, smaller drivers and smaller box. Bottom line, my M22's and my sub (Adire Dharman) blow away his M50's (IMHO).

Go M22 with the Rava!

13. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

Thanks Joe.

I am also curious to know if my Denon 1802 will be able to easily power the VP150. I had settled on the VP100, as I thought it would be a better match with the M22's anyway. The VP150 just looks so damn large for an apartment system.

Reg

14. Fong

Fong Stunt Coordinator

i wouldnt worry about the vp150. my 65wpc yamaha runs the vp150 fine, though i can hear it struggle, just barely, at high volumes. id say ~85-95 db. and i can only hear this at high peaks. heh i normally dont listen that loud anyways, so its a not really an issue for me.

15. Robertto

Robertto Stunt Coordinator

Hey Joe,

Any reason you choose the M2 besides the sale? Could not find the sale (did you mean the Factory outlet?)

Also, does it have the same tweeter as the M3?

As far as the M22s go, I love them, use them for mains w/my Sony SAWM40, next id the VP150 which will fit on top of my tv and then rears. And I do live in an apt, more like a living in an entertainment room, but it's all good!

16. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

17. Fong

Fong Stunt Coordinator

you're not supposed to rest the entire speaker base on anything, which is what spikes are for. on my m22s i use the little plastic feet that they came w/ so there is minimal contact w/ the shelf they're in. this provides better sound because the speaker doesnt resonate whatever its sitting on. in my earlier reply, i was wondering if expensive (more costly than whatever came in the original packaging) produces better sound. it doesnt make sense how they would.

18. Joe Rison

Joe Rison Auditioning

Robertto,
    This link shows the sale, $160 a pair. http://www.axiomaudio.com/store-bookshelves.html
    Was thinking of getting the quadpoles, but wifey was not thrilled about wall mounting. So decided to sample the M2s. hey, if they didn't work out I'd use them in the bedroom.. So far I like them.
    Fong,
    Even on stands I should use the little feet for the M22's?
    you say yours are 'in' a shelf. Isn't that bad too? With respect to VP100 VP150? After reading all the posts on Axiom's site, I decided what the heck. never did hear the 100, but I sure do love the 150.

19. Fong

Fong Stunt Coordinator

as long as the base of the speaker isnt touching the flat surface of the stands, you'll be ok. usually stands come w/ some sort of insulator, like foam or something, so i dont think it matters if you use the feet or not.
    and yes, a shelf is bad for the sound, but that's all my current setup allows for right now [​IMG]
    as for my vp150, it sits on top of my HT center aimed at my sweet spot w/ the help of my trusty laser pointer

20. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer