Axiom M22ti's or M40ti's?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Co, Jun 26, 2002.

1. Jason Co

Jason Co Second Unit

M22ti's offer 2 5.5" woofers compared to M40ti with a 6.5" woofer. It is listed as a $90 difference.

2. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Second Unit

How much of that $90 will the stands cost?

I've heard neither speaker, so I can't comment further. But you will have to think about what you would put the M22s or any other bookshelf speaker on.

3. peter_anderson

peter_anderson Stunt Coordinator

Jason Co: i was trying to decide between the exact same speakers a month ago, but decided to put it off and save for a new car.

I think the most simple recommendation I can give is this:
    If you listen more to music, go with the M40. More HT, M22.
    Reasons: M40 will do better with music alone (no sub, which can make fast classical music sound bad) since they have a much larger cabinet and can simply reach lower frequencies.

Criticism?

4. Eric_Singer

Eric_Singer Agent

I'm not sure I agree with that. It probably depends on what type of music you listen to. No question that the M40 has deeper bass, but the M22 integrates quite well with a good sub. I use my M22's with an Adire Rava sub, and it reproduces tight, fast bass very well indeed. The M22 will also reproduce mids better, while highs should be about the same. With the current prices, they are both great deals. If you listen to bass-heavy music and want to hold off on a subwoofer for awhile, then the M40 might be the better choice (but, going down to only 40hz or so, it will still benefit from a sub eventually). A friend of mine just got some M40's that I haven't heard yet, but I should be able to do a direct comparison pretty soon. As is, I can't imagine going wrong with either one.

Eric

5. Jason Co

Jason Co Second Unit

Eric and Peter,
    I currently have a sony sub Wm40? I use my system for 90% movies and 10% music. The music I listen to is mostly classic rock and metal. I think you are correct that neither one is a bad choice. However, I am leaning towards the towers due to the toddler factor. I think they may be a bit more stable than the m22's on stands as far as the possibility of them getting knocked over.

Any thoughts?

J

6. Eric_Singer

Eric_Singer Agent

Jason,

Your sub is more of a HT sub than a music sub, so the fact that the M40's goes lower w/o a sub makes it better suited to your situation. And the toddler factor is certainly enough to seal it - the M22's on stands are not stable enough to stand up to a solid bump. I'd go with the M40's.

Good luck,

Eric

7. Jason Co

Jason Co Second Unit

Eric,
    Thanks for the feedback. I greatly appreciate it.

J

8. Robertto

Robertto Stunt Coordinator

I have the m22tis w/the Sony Wm40 and love the combo of almost 50/50 ht to music. Mids and high are bright and clear imo. Plus theses speakers blend well with the sub so the combo works well together.

9. Leo_P

Leo_P Second Unit

I have a pair of M40's that replaced a pair of M3's. My HT system is more movies & TV than music but the M40's handle their business no matter what I throw at 'em. I was originally looking at a pair of M60's but Axiom was running a deal on the M40's and that sealed the deal. I got a pair of factory outlet (blemished) M40's for $315. Their price to performance ratio is off the chart IMHO. I have no experience with the M22's, so I can't speak on them.
    FYI, I have an Acoustic Research S112PS 12" 120W subwoofer and all my speakers "play" very nice together (pun intended).
    Go with the '40's. Just my $.02.