What's new

Axiom M22ti vs Dahlquist QX6 (1 Viewer)

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
Jeff, I realize that was a joke about the Dahlquist but actually I'm running studio 40's in my theatre where I listen to the DVD. :) No laid back treble there!
Although I know my Denon Receiver cuts some sibliance out.
I know for SURE I would be hearing the siblance if it existed in my system, I had a JVC receiver with JBL N series all around and man siblance was INSANE. I couldn't watch Coyote Ugly I was SURE there was something wrong with it. Every S from the middle of the movie on was horrible. Then Toy Story, UGH lets not go there! I was dieing with hate for my new JBL speakers at the time.
THen I swaped out the JVC for the Denon and it was gone! :) They say it can be a receiver/speaker combo, because siblance wasn't present with my previous setup with the JVC.
I havne't heard siblance yet (knock on wood). The THX processing does tone this down as well.

Marc H

Second Unit
Ronn,
Glad you like them and thanks again for your business!

James,
They share many of the nice sonic qualities of the Totem Mite actually. Like timbral accuracy and depth of image but with more extension and bigger dynamics. Both are very good at getting voices and acoustic intstruments spot on.

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
Well guys, just to keep this thread alive Marc (the great guy he is) made me open up my wallet and my ears this weekend.

I headed down to the audio shop and picked up a pair of QX10's to replace my QX6's!

Now these guys have sooooo much more range, I don't know where to start! I've been breaking them in all weekend, so far they sound excellent!

Asim

Stunt Coordinator
james - you got a money tree growing there or are you a former enron executive?

ernie.bin

Stunt Coordinator
james,

how did those QX10s sound right out of the box?

I have a feeling that the dahls I listened to at visions weren't broken in, and I'm wondering if you run into them sounding a little dull out of the box as well.

Kincade

Second Unit
I can't comment on his - but my QX10's have opened up dramatically since out of the box - i'm at about 90 hours now, and they sound completely different than when new. My QX4's have changed just as dramatically, and actually sound much louder than they did new - i'm going to have to go and recalibrate...

HTH,

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
No money tree here, I'm hoping the sale of my stands and QX6 speakers will offset the purchase (at least a little!)
P.S. QX6's are for sale.

Now as far as opening up, well they sounded great out of the box, but I have played them for about 40 hours and they are getting better. It was pretty noticeable between Monday and Tuesday (I played them for 10 hours on Monday).

Tuesday after about 4 hours or so they really sounded sweet!

I compared the QX6's head to head with the 10's at the store. My girlfriend was there as well, and without saying a word she said "The 6's sound muffled compared to these."

She really liked the 10's. And I have to agree the 6's did sound kind of muffled compared to the 10's. The 10's have OOODLES more bass and WAY better mid range than the 6's. All around the speaker is in a totally different league! They look great too!

Check out my site for pictures (under 2 channel)

Asim

Stunt Coordinator
James - How come Lord of the Rings isn't in your collection? Also, I like your QX10 setup.

I have been listening to some aegis three's and Mission 780s of late...and they are sounding muffled with my HK520. Who knows, perhaps the Transparent cable isn't so transparent. And you are saying your QX6 sounded muffled too? This price point is now getting disappointing and frustrating, i must say.
Anyone else following this thread have an HK520 and really enjoying their speaker choice?

- asim

Ronn_R

Agent
I have HK 525 with Dahlquist System 2, and loving it more and more. I do not find it muffled. I was thinking of 70% HT and 30% music before I got them, but now it's 60% music and 40% HT :)
Anyway, different people have different taste in sound imho.

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
Asim, thanks for the comments. I find it looks great!

I don't have LOTR in my collection because I rented it and figured I would wait and buy the set. I'm not going to by the theatrical release then the extended then the box set. I'm just going to wait awhile and buy the full complete set that we all know will come.

Let me clarify the "muffled" The QX6's don't sound muffled when you listen to them, they sound great, but when put side by side with the QX10 they sounded a little like the voices were not as "standoutish" More like the 10's had more push up high. This could very well be due to the efficiency of the 10's they are 94db efficient and I get TONS more volume out of them compared to the Qx6's on my ASL waves, which are only 8watts.

The QX10's just seemed to have a crisper high end, but it's the same tweeter! It is a different crossover in the QX10 probably adding to the efficiency and the sweeter upper range.

Asim

Stunt Coordinator
DOH...i forgot to put the you GOT part into it.
Anyhow, Ronn_R, what kind of cables and digital
source are you using?

Also another question, does anyone see anything wrong
with using a biwire cable hooked up just 1 to 1 if i
can get it to fit into the posts (for non biwirable
speakers so i don't have to buy another set of cables)?

Ronn_R

Agent
Asim, I'm using 12 ga Monster cables and an old Toshiba SD2800(I think).
For cables, Tributaries and MiT should be pretty good. I'll upgrade the cables and better dvd/cd player in the future.

Marc H

Second Unit
Asim,
Yep, you can reconfigure that Kimber 8PR into two conductors at the speaker end if need be.

Kincade,
Where you able to get those QX4 to delocalize okay yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks