Axiom M22ti vs Dahlquist QX6

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Asim, Jan 7, 2003.

1. Asim

Asim Stunt Coordinator

Hi, I think I have narrowed my choice to these two speakers.
    I was set to get the Axioms but a conversation with Marc at Audioshop led to the suggestion of the Dahlquists which are some 50 bux cheaper. Has anyone heard both of these speakers, especially head-to-head? The sound I am looking for is: clear, accurate, and transparent, with good soundstage and decent imaging. The bass should be very tight & fast - not flailing and hanging out unwantedly. I would rather have a more accurate midrange/treble with a decreased bass response if i have to make compromise which at this price point i am sure i will. There are no dealers around for either of these two, so it will be a "blind" purchase. Any help and suggestions in making this decision would be much appreciated.
    Thanks.

- Asim

2. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

Mark can vouch for me on this, we sat in his shop and played those 2 speakers head to head, I sat there and he swapped the cables. The sound difference was DRASTIC. The QX6's where so much smoother and less harsh. Had more bass, a fully sound stage. It was no competition.

To be fair I liked the Axioms but as soon as the QX6 was put in the mix, I said forget it, there's no competition here.

3. Alex Dydula

Alex Dydula Stunt Coordinator

I have set of QX6's, simply amazing and sound so so sweet!!
    You willnot go wrong with a pair of Dahlquist QX6's for sure!!

Alex

4. Alex Dydula

Alex Dydula Stunt Coordinator

double post, sorry!

5. ernie.bin

ernie.bin Stunt Coordinator

oh my goodness. I was planning on asking the same question, as I was thinking about an m22 + vp150 upgrade.

The fact that this combo would be quite a bit cheaper for me (no need to buy new stands, and cheaper center to match) is very attractive. the more laid back sound description is something I'd prefer to the "up-front" description of the axioms as well. But price aside, I want a noticable upgrade from my titan/cc-170 front setup.

I'd love to hear more opinions, but this isn't the first time I've heard of marc suggesting dalhquists in place of the very popular axioms.

6. James Bergeron

Ernie, they would be an upgrade from the titans, I have Atoms, these are more in the monitor line realm for the phantom line price (speaking in paradigm terms). I have studio 40's all around in my theatre, and really I don't think I would hessitate to swap them all out for QX6's if someone offered it to me with a good chunk of change [​IMG]

7. ernie.bin

thanks james.

a friend of mine has studio40s, and one of the biggest impressions I got from those (even while only driven by a denon 1602) was the impact that the 40s delivered. in 2 channel listening to the red hot chilli peppers 'blood sugar sex magic' album, drums and a bass were very tight, focused and defined. "Impact" is I guess the word that described the effect I felt from these. Thinking back, I don't think I was blown away by the highs, but the plucking of the bass strings and snap of the drums was vivid.

Do the QX6's offer much of this?

8. James Bergeron

Hmmmm, That might be where the QX6 would be a little weaker. The thing is it is a slightly different sound. The 40's seem to emphazise the mid range and bass, exactly as you described and I enjoy that sounds as well!

I only really listen to Jazz on my QX6's and on a bass you can hear the bass great, but no plucking BUT Jazz isn't usually recorded with plucking.

The Eric Clapton CD I have though you can hear it very well, it is clearly defined. I would have to do a head to head to compare this more carefully.

The QX6's do have good deep extension though for the size of the speaker it is VERY surprising.

9. ernie.bin

I've got a pdr-10 right now that I'm planning on replacing with maybe a pw-2200 or an adire rava, so bass performance isn't terribly high on the list of things I want from the QX6.

I take it that beside the bass performance, the QX6 still outperforms the m22s in detail, smoothness and imaging?

thanks for all the answers. I'll probably be buying new speakers unheard, so I'm trying to get the best sense of them possible.

10. BrianJ>Y

BrianJ>Y Stunt Coordinator

The QX6's sound more similar to the Axiom M3ti's. After reading and speaking to Axiom owners who've heard the QX6's it seems that the 6's have a warmer and less "involving" tone, probably better suited to rock music. The M22's I would assume are more accurate, some people take the accuracy as harshness and the speakers being less smooth so it comes down to preference. I myself prefer a more accurate sound and most M22 owners feel the same way, ofcourse we do...[​IMG]
    -Brian

11. James Bergeron

"Heard" the QX6's or demoed them head to head? There's a difference.
    I did it, same amp everything head to head switching.
    I agree the Axioms are more harsh I wouldn't say more accurate though, they didn't seem to image very well. But I won't argue [​IMG]

12. Asim

Asim Stunt Coordinator

Argue argue argue! that way we get the best info!

13. Marc H

Marc H Second Unit

Both brands are of an accurate nature but when heard side by side, the Axioms do sound more forward in the treble and the Dahlquists more relaxed and laid back. Neither is right or wrong, it's just a matter of taste.
    I would give the Dahlquists the edge though in timbre accuracy; voices and acoustic instruments sound closer to realism. Also, the imaging on the Dahlquists is more precise and with more focus. Bass extension is amazing on the QX6 yet not boomy at all; good definition and detail.
    I'm impressed with the amount of engineering Richard Hunter (formerly of KEF) has put into the Dahlquist drivers. He uses a cloth suspension for the aluminum dome tweeter to dampen out the downsides to using metal dome tweeters. The aluminum powder/polypropylene woofers use a neat injection molded non-resonant basket instead of a stamped metal basket to eliminate ringing plus uses Kapton windings too. Impressive for the prices they sell for.
    The QX6 would be competition for the Axiom M22TiSe really. The Dahlquist QX5 would be more competition to the M3TiSe.
    The Dahlquists are a neat blend of the best of British speakers combined with the dispersion, bass extension and dynamics of Canadian speakers.

14. Rob Ball

Rob Ball Extra

Dose anyone know of a Dahlquists dealer that is in the US or online US dealers? Also how much dose the Q10 and Q6 cost.

Thanks.

15. Marc H

Marc H Second Unit

Dahlquist has got a few dealers in the US so far and are looking for more.
    If you shoot them an email:
    [email protected]
    hopefully they can point to one.
    They have authorized our shop here in Ottawa for mailorder too so give me a shout if you can't find a dealer and I'd certainly welcome your business.

16. ernie.bin

anyone listened to the qx6 vs the qx9? (my budget seems to float the more I think about it).

More detail? better imaging and soundstage? or just better bass?

17. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

I have a pair of QX6's coming on Monday. I'll post and let you know how I like them.

18. ernie.bin

I got a chance to listen to the qx6s and qx9s today at a local shop. I can't qualify the environment as I had never been there or listened to speakers I know well there.

The receiver was an onkyo 989. I use titans/atoms/ cc-170/pdr-10 and a denon 1802 at home.

The QX6s were first. They were set up a bit wide, but they didn't seem to have much cable for me to move them around. Initial impressions were not good. The first thing I said was "where are the highs?". I spent only about 6 minutes with the QX6s because the balance left too much to be desired. The highs sounded muffled, which really turned me off quickly.

I know the dahlquists are said to be a bit more laid back, but this was almost severe. I had them swap in the QX9s then, and there were improvements, but the highs remained muffled. The Onkyo was running in direct mode, and I was at ear level with the tweeters and I was baffled. People have commented on how the dahls are good competition to the axioms (especially the accurate m22s) but with smoother treble. My friend commented on how good the imaging was, but I was still extremely troubled by the lack of highs.

I went to my paradigm dealer and he set me up with studio20s to listen to and I was much happier. The highs were back, and overall sound was very detailed and to me, very accurate. The imaging though seemed to lack the same depth as what the dahls were able to do even with it's handicap, but detail and the liveliness of the sound really impressed me (for what they are @ $650).

I could be spoiled on and overly used to the paradigm sound, but I'm thinking that the dahls I listened to had something wrong with them to sound so lifeless and dull compared to all the reviews I've read.

I'm going to look for another dahlquist dealer to listen at to give the dahls a fair shake, but I was quite under-impressed by a speaker I had just about ordered online unheard based on feedback.

any input on this? Am I too used to overly bright speakers perhaps? Did the shop with the dahls screw up big time?

19. Philip A

Philip A Agent

Ernie,

I'm shocked that you had such an experience with Dahlquist QX6's! There must be something wrong with either the demo's that shop used, or their setup, or something. I use them in my 6.1 as the rear sides and they absolutely shine (and thump). I have the QX10's for mains, QX60C center (which is the same tweeter, btw) and the mighty QX4 (3/4" tweeter) for the rear center (and an M&K 12" sub).

While I haven't a/b'd them against Klipsch, I have extensively listened to Klipsch and Polk and found the Dahls to be just what I like. Klipsch is too harsh and fatiguing, while Polk tends to be too laid back and fascinatingly lacking in bass. The Dahlquists have so impressed my two family members who have Klipsch that one of them is looking to unload his in order to 'upgrade' to Dahlquist. While I wouldn't necessarily speak of it that way, I was impressed with his feelings having raved for months and months about his Klipschs.

Anyway, Asim, good luck. You will do well to work with Marc at Audio Shop as multiple posts here attest. I've had a stellar experience with him and the Dahlquists and continue to be amazed by the sound of my system! IMHO you would be hard pressed to match the Dahlquists for sound and price and Marc's customer service and expertise.

Best to you.

20. ernie.bin

I dropped by another shop today and tried the QX9s again, this time with an HK avr325.

The highs still sounded somewhat rolled off, and this could be in part to my experience with paradigm speakers. But seperation between instruments seemed to be a bit weak (all critisms relative to studio20/40s). Listening to Holly Cole singing fragile (w/ jesse cook), her voice didn't come out at me like I was used to.

I listened to some chilli peppers and the QX9s lacked the bass impact I had experienced with studio40s, and the twang of the guitars just didn't bite the way I'm used to. Again, seperation of the instruments didn't seem as vivid.

I'm not trying to badmouth the dahls; there's a lot of respected opinions out there in favor of them, but for my tastes they weren't the speakers for me. It seems I need the high end sparkle of the 'digms in my life even though it blows my budget out by quite a bit. The studios are also a good amount more expensive than the dahls I was looking at, so comparisons might not really be that fair.

One thing I've been impressed by even through listening to the dahls and the studio lineup is how great my titans sound for the $230cad I paid for them. I think despite how much I'd like to upgrade my own speakers, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to someone on a smaller budget.