Axiom M22's or M60ti Towers.......

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ReggieW, Jul 19, 2002.

1. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

I have a dilemma. I don't know which ones I should get. I do plan on purchasing a sub for my system, so I am arguing to myself that the 60's might be overkill. I currently have a Denon 1802 but will be moving to the 3803 when it arrives later this year. I am looking at the Adire RAVA as a sub - which I hear excels musically as well. The M60's with the VP-150 center will run me about 930.00 compared to 650.00 for the M22's/stands and a VP-150 center. I am just concerned about spending a few hundred more for towers when I will have a very nice sub handling those lower frequencies. I would appreciate any opinions.

Thanks,

R.C.

2. Jeff Kohn

Jeff Kohn Supporting Actor

I say go for the M60's, you won't regret it.
    • Even though you plan to use a sub, ideally you still want your speakers to have bass extension a full octave below the x-over point.
    • The M60's sound really great. Although I'm sure the M22's are nice also, I think the 3-way design with 2 6.5" woofers and a 5.5" midrange is going to be better.
    • The M60's can handle more power
    • Don't forget to factor in the cost of nice stands.
    • IMHO towers look nicer than bookshelves
    As you can probably guess I own the M60's and am very happy with them. [​IMG]

3. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

Well I haven't heard the M60's I heard the M22's and M80's and it was like night and day. The M80's sound amazing. So I'd guess the M60's do sound better than the M22's by a lot.

4. Yuli

Yuli Agent

What is the room size? Do you have the space for the M60s?

I was facing a similar question. First i was considering the m22s, but once i listened to the m60s there was no way i could go back to the m22. Like day and night. The m60s are just great!

If you have the money and the room, go with the m60s like i did. Definatly awesome!

BTW, i also have the vp150 and the QS8s (H/K AVR 520 receiver). Room size is 20x17

5. Fong

Fong Stunt Coordinator

can you m60 owners tell me exactly how your speakers sound better than the m22s? like are the highs more clear, more detailed, etc.? ive been wondering this myself, but i think that it would help reggie too.

6. Bry_DD

Bry_DD Second Unit

I've just read a post from Axiom board by Randyman camparing the m60 and the 50 and I think it will give you some idea how the 60 sounds like. I myself is looking at the M60 and I think I made my decision after reading his post. heres the link http://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/sho...b=5&o=0&fpart=

7. Jeff Kohn

Somewhere on the same board is a post by somebody named chesseroo who compared the M22's and M60's in his home. (He sent the M22's back and kept the M60's).

8. ben hunt

ben hunt Stunt Coordinator

yeah cheeseroo knows his speakers.

I got the m60's and love them.

9. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

Thanks guys,

I am not surprised the M60's sound better, afterall, they are larger and more expensive. I am wondering will they best the M22's paired with an Adire Rava sub holding the chores of frequencies below 50hz.

Reg

10. Roberto Carlo

Roberto Carlo Second Unit

11. Jeff Kohn

I'm sure the M60's alone wouldn't fair as well as the M22's + a good sub when it comes to clean, authoritative bass even in the bottom octave. But the M60's + a good sub will be even better. [​IMG]
    (I have a SVS 20-39PCi with my M60's).

12. Fallo

Fallo Auditioning

I am using my M22s with a Dayton Titanic MKII 10" sub and the combination sounds full, tight and natural...

13. Aaron Cooke

Aaron Cooke Second Unit

This is a bit off topic, but pertains to using a sub with mains for music. I just ordered a SVS 20-39 PC+ and am looking for new mains. If i go with axiom (i'm also looking at Paradigm and Klipsch) I will choose between the M60's and the M80's. Since i will be using a subwoofer would the M80's be overkill, or does the same argument apply as when comparing the M60's to the M22s?

14. Jeff Kohn

15. Jason Co

Jason Co Second Unit

I auditioned the Klipsch, and Paradigm. I ended up with a pair of M50's and I love em!

J