axiom m22 comparable to paradigm studios?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Derek_OC, Nov 17, 2003.

1. Derek_OC

Derek_OC Extra

I just bought an SVS pci+ that should be here tommorrow. I was looking for some new fronts and loved the studio 20s from paradigm. Are the axioms comparable? I see all the great reviews for them and was just wondering if i should go that route and save a little cash.

Thanks in advance,
    Derek

2. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

Before I bought my Ascend CBM-170's, I listened the the Studio 20 v.2's a lot, and like the 170's more.

I then compared the CBM-170's to the M22's, and they are very similar. Similar enough for me to say "yes" they are very comparable to the Studio 20's, and some may like the M22's more.

3. Keith*D

Keith*D Agent

With a sub I think they would be pretty comprable, without a sub I would take the Studio/20.

Keith

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I feel they are close enough for government work, but the Studios are still a step above. I could see the M22 being preferred over the Studio 20s, but not the 40s.

5. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

6. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

I haven't heard the 20's or 40's, but I have heard the 100's. If the 20's and 40's are similar in sound to the 100's (at least from midrange on up) then I'd choose them, all things being equal. The M22Ti's made my ears bleed! [​IMG]

7. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

8. John Garcia

John

9. Derek_OC

Derek_OC Extra

Thanks guys for all the quick responses. I really loved the way that the Paradigms sounded. I've heard quite a few times that axioms can be a bit bright.

I'm not worried about bass at all, I just got my svs and it is incredible. So i'll probably stick with the paradigms i was just trying to save a little cash if possible. I'm sure you know how that goes.

Thanks again,
    Derek

10. ArthurJ

ArthurJ Second Unit

I owned the Studio 20's. I auditioned my friend’s pair of M22Ti's many times hours on end. The sonic differences are almost impossible to differentiate IMO. However I still have a preference for the M22Ti’s because the Studio 20’s have a midbass hump at 100-200 Hz. The M22ti’s also seem to be a little smoother and have a more 3-dimensional soundstage. The M22ti’s also seem to be a little more neutral in the bass region, a lot more natural, this also helps with the assimilation of a sub. There also $500 cheaper, many have compared the M22ti’s to the 40’s and still have a preference for the Axioms. I discovered absolutely no signs of harshness or fatigue in all of my listening sessions.

11. ArthurJ

ArthurJ Second Unit

Also, I thought the tweeter on the Axiom's was a little bit more refined!

12. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

Derek,

If I can, I would also like to recommend the PSB Stratus Minis which retail for $1100. They can be bought NEW from an authorized dealer for around $800-$900 and USED on audiogon from $500-$700. They are a very NEUTRAL speaker compared to the digm's and Axiom's discussed here, and image very very well. I had been dead set on the Studio 20's and 40's but felt that the PSB's more accurately produced the instruments and had better imaging (The Stratus Mini was Stereophile's 1996 budget speaker of the year). I simply think you owe it to yourself to check it out. The digm's tended to be a bit "bright" in comparison to the Stratus Mini's imho, which I now have coupled with a NAD T762 receiver (generally very warm).

Reg

13. John Garcia

John
    I think the Axioms are a bit brighter than some other speakers, but I agree with Arthur that they are refined and smooth for music. Many of the Paradigms have this "hump", though the v3s seem to have tamed this some. I feel the tweeter is noticably improved with the v3, but it actually sounds more like the Axioms now. [​IMG] It is the midrange where these two differed to me, and to be honest, the 40s have something a little odd going on in the upper midrange with the smaller driver, but they still sounded clear at very loud levels and had better bass response.