What's new

Axiom LFR-1100 Active Speaker Review Thread (1 Viewer)

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Hi all - We recently ordered a pair of Axiom LFR-1100 Active speakers for both ownership and review. The passive LFR-1100's are one of my all time favorite speakers, and consist of 3 front firing, 6.5 inch long throw woofers, 2 front firing 5.25 inch mids and 2 front firing 1 inch dome tweeters. They also have rear firing dual 5.25 inch mids and dual rear firing 1 inch dome tweeters.

The passive units also use a DSP which gives a VERY flat response curve from about 30 Hz and up, including what is known as the Sound Power Curve. This curve was pioneered by Floyd E. Toole, and is a measurement taken in intervals on a total of 360 degrees in both the horizontal and vertical plane. Toole has discovered through 1000's of hours of blind tests that the better a speaker does with this curve, the more the speaker sounds like a live performer.

The active versions of this speaker take performance even higher by having all crossovers done at the pre-amp level and each woofer, midrange and tweeter array getting its own dedicated 325 WPC (8 ohm) amplifier. This means TEN amp channels to drive the two speakers.

The speakers are in production now, with a lot more information to follow.

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Most of Axiom's speakers are built to order, with dozens of finishes available from vinyl to real wood. Here is a pair of LFR-1100's in Knotty Pine. The pair I have ordered is Oak with cinnamon accent. I have this finish on a pair of 4 year old M100's, and it looks brand new today. This type of craftsmanship is rare today:

Attachments

• 20190708_085523.jpg
    20190708_085523.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 339

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Here is a link to a white paper which describes the "sound power curve" of a loudspeaker:

https://www.harman.com/sites/default/files/LoudspeakersandRoomsPt2_0.pdf

A lot of this discussion will revolve (pun intended) on the importance that Floyd E. Toole has proven through decades of double blind listening tests, extensive anechoic chamber measurements and in room measurements.

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Here is a pic of the LFR-1100's that I have on order in the paint booth. The finish is Oak with a cinnamon accent. The Speakers stand 47.5 inches tall.

Attachments

• 20190730_155143.jpg
    20190730_155143.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 374

Rlev

Auditioning
Real Name
Richard
I wonder if those are mine... I can't imagine a lot of people are ordering LFR-1100's in Knotty Pine :)
I ordered mine before Craig did but have them on hold till my new media room is done (probably in December).

I wonder how many they sold so far given the need for 10 channels of amplification. (To head off Craig ... yes a bargain basement value in the high-end world ... but it's still a lot of money for most).

Rlev

Auditioning
Real Name
Richard
Don't have one yet. That's ok, though - it is still summer. I like to be outside. :D
Just kind of excited to get the first impressions since it's going to be months before I can listen to them myself. (Not to mention the weeks to months it takes to get the room gets totally dialed in)

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Just kind of excited to get the first impressions since it's going to be months before I can listen to them myself. (Not to mention the weeks to months it takes to get the room gets totally dialed in)

These speakers are going to make winter more tolerable. I already have the passive LFR-1100's - they will be the rear speakers in the system. It will be interesting to discover the differences when removing the passive crossover and supplying a total of 9000 watts to the speakers.

Rlev

Auditioning
Real Name
Richard
These speakers are going to make winter more tolerable. I already have the passive LFR-1100's - they will be the rear speakers in the system. It will be interesting to discover the differences when removing the passive crossover and supplying a total of 9000 watts to the speakers.
Hopefully not all at once ...
Just out of curiosity
2 ADA1500 + ADA1000 = 4000 watts countinuous
2 EP800 = 1600
If your talking Continuous where is the other 3500?
If your talking peak instantaneous then your way above 9000
Oh ... maybe your quoting peak on just the 2 1500s ...

Last edited:

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Hopefully not all at once ...
Just out of curiosity
2 ADA1500 + ADA1000 = 4000 watts countinuous
2 EP800 = 1600
If your talking Continuous where is the other 3500?
If your talking peak instantaneous then your way above 9000
Oh ... maybe your quoting peak on just the 2 1500s ...

It was just the peak output available from the 2 1500's. In reality, I will never be taxing the speakers nor the amp. The 4500 peak output from the 1500, and with this system having 2, I just couldn't resist posting the 9000 watt figure.

The speakers are getting close to being done! Here is another pic - on the pine units in back, you can see the input for the 5 different speakers - One amp channel for the three 6.5 inch woofers, one each for the front and rear mids and one each for the front and rear tweeters.

Attachments

• 20190808_113406.jpg
    20190808_113406.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 339

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
It appears the LFR-1100 actives will ship next week. The speakers have been done, but after a conversation with the design team in July, they decided to add a subwoofer output on the DSP box. This is a big deal in a 2 channel system.

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Here are some random thoughts about these speakers before they arrive. My favorite speakers are the passive LFR-1100's and the Ohm SSC-4900. Other speakers that have been here include the Legacy Signature SE, Klipsch LaScalas, Infinity IRS Sigma, Onix Ref 3, Ascend Sierra, B&W 805 and Salk Songtowers.

I have also auditioned Magico S-5, Goldenear Triton, Monitor Audio Platinum 500's ... and of those, only the Magico delivered music as do the LFR-1100's and Ohms.

The question is - do the active LFR-1100's exceed the passives enough to warrant $800 more for the speakers plus needing 6 more channels of amplification? Axiom is making some pretty strong statements about these speakers. Do they deliver? Can bass REALLY hit in the chest? Is the clarity THAT much better?

This will not be a short process. We will start with the basic set up of the Marantz 7703 running the system full range. Later, subwoofers will be added. Later still, the Marantz will be swapped out for the PS Audio Stellar Gain pre-amp / DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks