What's new

Axiom "Factory Blems" any driver damage? (1 Viewer)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Dual 5-1/4s will give you more sound than a single 6-1/2, though not lower response (looks like they are the same -3dB, but the M22 has a +1dB sensitivity). More air is moved, and the higher sensitivity will allow them to play louder. My mains are dual 5-1/4 :) I'm very pleased with their SPL.

Jeffrey R

Stunt Coordinator
Michael,

I own both the M22's as well as the M3's. They're both amazing speakers for the price, but let's just say that I keep the M22's in my main system and the M3's in my bedroom.

The M3's do have a bit more bass, but the M22's are so clean and airy and have such a great soundstage, that when paired with a sub (SVS in my case), they outshine the M3's (in my eyes at least). I keep the M22's on some Sound Organisation Z522 stands, and they look and sound great. The M22's, with the VP150, QS8's and a good sub will give you outstanding bang for your buck. Oh, and I've bought all of my Axioms from factory outlet, and they are perfect.

Good luck.

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
I just wanted to add that i have had the M22's for 3 weeks now and they are sounding better to me everyday. It's amazing what $400 can buy these days if you do your homework and research. I must have gone to all the local shops and listened to so many different monitors. B&W, Boston Acoustics, Paradigm, Vienna Acoustics, Mirage, etc., etc. The Axioms are BY FAR the best value for the money. That's not to say the others didn't sound good but they all cost far more and most didn't stack up against the M22's. No, i won't be sending the M22's back, they are here for the forseeable future.

Dalton

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Thanks Jeffrey R and Dalton. :)

It's good to hear that the M22s work great for you. I emailed Amie and asked him to put me on the list for a set of M22 "blems" in Cherry. :):emoji_thumbsup:

For starters, I'll get a set of M22s and the VP100 center. Later, when funds permit, the QS8s will follow. The QS4s are a tad small...plus I plan on separate power amps down the line. The QS8s would be much happier than the QS4s with the added power.

ps
What height stands do you guys use with the M22s? I'll be building my own.

Jeffrey R

Stunt Coordinator
Michael,

First, let me try to stear you towards the VP150 center channel rather than the VP100. I own the VP150, and have never heard the VP100, but by all accounts from people who have heard both, the VP150 is the clearly better center channel. Standing alone, I can vouch for the quality and performance of the VP150. As long as you are going with the M22's and QS8's, you should really step up to the VP150. It will be worth it.

As to the height of the stands, it is really dictated by your seating configuration. The tweeter on the M22's should be around ear height (I went a bit above ear height). With my seating, I needed about a 22" stand, so I bought the Sound Org. Z522. It is a very sturdy attractive stand. But others might need to go with an 18" stand, 20", etc. If it helps you, I can tell you the center of the tweeter on the M22 is about 17.25" from the bottom of the speaker. So, you can measure your ear position when sitting as you normally do, then calculate how high the stands should be considering the location of the tweeter. Good luck.

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Jeffrey R,

The VP150, huh? Wow...that's a big step up...in price too. But what price can one put on Awesomely Great Sound, right? :D Heheheheh.

Curious about something, Jeff. With the VP150 having the tweets on the extreme ends of the speaker, does the speaker's "postion" get "wavy" or indistinct?

Also, being that the 150 is semi-huge, does your listening position have to be far away from the speaker?

I'll be moving into a house w/this setup...which house, I have no idea right now :crazy: but it will be a house! I'm not in the market for a house with a 40x40 foot living room, but if I get the 150, I don't want it to be too much if I'm 10-15 feet away from the speaker.

Thoughts? I appreciate your advice. :)

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Anyone else have a comment about the VP-150 over the VP-100?

Would the VP-150 be too much for the M22s?

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
Michael,
I only sit 8 ft. away from my VP150. I was steered away from the VP100 by several other Axiom owners when i was doing my research. I also have the M22's and QS8's. I think the extra $$ for the 150 is definetly worth it. Spend the extra $$ now so you don't regret it later. The VP150 is a superb center.

Dalton

David*RT

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Michael,
I haven't heard the centers but have read TONS of threads of users comparing both centers.

Basically, from what I've read, I can confirm what has been said above that the VP150 is loads better than the VP100. So much so, that many can't justify the cost savings of the VP100! The VP150 apparently blows it away in soundstaging.

Again, this is based on threads I've read over the years. The jury is decidedly on the VP150--BY FAR. BY FAR!

I would suggest to get the VP150. It's worth saving the money for this purchase.

(I'm travelling right now, so sorry for any late responses. :))

Jeffrey R

Stunt Coordinator
Michael,

Don't worry about the potential distance from the speaker. Yes, the VP150 is fairly big, but it is more wide than deep. It is not an overwhelming center channel, it just puts out crisp, clear audio. Whether you sit close or far away, the VP150 will still be a better speaker than the VP100. Same with the QS8 surrounds over the QS4's. I have seen some people skeptical about getting the QS8 because of its size. But the answer there is the same--whether someone has a small room or not, the QS8 is still a better speaker than the QS4.

I don't know about you, but if I had bought the VP100, then the first time I would read that the VP150 is better, I would be pissed at myself. In this case, you have fair warning. :) Assuming you can afford the step-up, just get the VP150 and avoid second-thoughts. It's the best center channel Axiom has to offer.

As to the driver/tweeter configuration, all I can say is that dialogue is crystal clear. The sound is certainly not muddy.

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Wow, the jury is in with a verdict! Unanimous decision. :):emoji_thumbsup:

This place is an incredible resource...ah the time I wasted before I found it. :rolleyes:

Jeffrey, you're right; I WOULD be pissed at myself. I think that we all are informed consumers; we do the research up front so as to ensure that we're happy in the long run w/our purchases.

That's why I am planning on the QS8s as opposed to the QS4s; down the road, separate power amps is a given and the 8s are obviously much better equipped for that kind of juice.

On a side note, Axiom's customer service is nothing short of incredible. I get responses back from Amie quickly and she's so friendly! I've changed my mind twice already (M22 vs. M3 and VP150 vs. VP100) and she was just happy as can be to accomodate me.

Gives you a feeling of confidence to deal w/someone like that, you know? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks