What's new

Axiom "Factory Blems" any driver damage? (1 Viewer)

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Hey all,

Since I found this place, I just can't stop coming up with questions to ask. I'll shut up eventually...I think. ;)

Been looking over the reviews for the Axiom M3ti speakers. Very impressive. Seems to compare favorably with the Ascend 170s (in reviewers comments about SQ, etc), though I haven't seen any direct comparisons...not that I remember, anyway.

I've noticed a lot of you saying you got your M3ti's from the Factory Store "B stock" and the cabinet had one little scratch on it or something minor like that.

My worry is that I'd get a set where a woofers' dustcap was pushed in...or worse, a hole in the cone itself, damaged binding posts, etc.

Is this possible or probable? How well do they inspect their B stock?

Of course I could email Axiom and ask, but any manufacturer will be inclined to say what you want to hear.

I'd rather hear from YOU, the people that bought them.

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
The Axiom M22 and Ascend CBM-170 are the ones that compare very well to each other. I have heard them side by side.

From what I have read M3ti is said to have more emphasis on the mid-range.

Axiom backs their b-stock just like their a-stock. No worry about driver damage or sound differences. The blems are only cosmetic.

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Thank you, Curtis. :) That's reassuring. Thanks also for the correction on what compares to what.

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
MichaelDDD....no problem.

Axiom is another great internet direct company.

I think I asked this before....where are you located?

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Curtis,

I live in San Antonio, TX. But currently I'm a little further away. Deployed overseas thru Nov. :)

David*RT

Stunt Coordinator
From all the threads I've read over the years about Axiom's B stock, they've been said to be near flawless.

Mechanically they are functional. Cosmetic-wise, they have been said to be like A stock. It has been said that it takes a VERY keen eye to even find the blemish or hairline scratch. Yes, Axiom is that anal about their B stock. :) Great news for those that buy B stock!

Performance-wise in comparisons, some prefer the "brighter" or "crisper" titanium tweeter of Axiom speakers. Others prefer Ascend's smoothness up top. But I've even heard people say Ascends are bright! That shows you that people have very different tastes. Some prefer the laid-backness of the Rockets.

I have MANY speakers and own the Ascend 170 and Axiom m22. I like them both very much. Asking me to prefer one over the other is like asking me to choose between 2 sons--can't be done! :)

I can safely say that a titanium tweeter of Axiom is crisper up top. Some say it's more dynamic. Others have gone so far to call it bright. I don't find it bright at all, so obviously that "brightness" must come from their receiver, amp, source, preamp. Axiom has won speaker of the year awards form many mags so I doubt that such a speaker would have a bright factor to it. LOL! I have expensive amps, preamps running all my speakers, so brightess will not come through a great speaker like Axiom or Ascend.

If you're a head-banger like me, I can assure you both will ROCK!......WELL! :)

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
If you're a head-banger like me, I can assure you both will ROCK!......WELL!
Yep, that's me! I have a VERY varied palette when it comes to music (I listen to everything but opera and country) but 75% of my listening is good old fashioned, too loud, four letter word lyrics, heavy metal. :D:emoji_thumbsup:

And right after that, I'll put on some Motown or Sade or The Rippingtons. :) I like it all.

And I like it all loud. I'm getting really excited, guys!!! This is the most fun I've had in awhile. Maybe I should visit "the Life Store" in addtion to the speaker stores? ;)

ps
Is any of the Axiom B Stock returns? I don't mind a scratch on my NEW speakers, but I don't buy "used electronics." Never have, unless buying from someone I know and have personally witnessed them using and taking care of it.

David*RT

Stunt Coordinator
As far as I know, they are NEW. No returns.

Axiom has a very large forum that has covered this subject well. If you're interested the link is:

http://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/ubbthreads.php

Glad to hear you like your metal served loud! :) And yes, these speakers (Axiom or Ascend) are so refined that they'll do jazz, etc with aplomb. :emoji_thumbsup:

Here's another source of information:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...?s=&forumid=88

P.S......YES the audio "journey" is hell of fun. I got into this hobby years ago. I started out as a total noob. Today, it's my number one hobby! I live & breathe this stuff! :emoji_thumbsup: :D

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Thanks for the links, David; very helpful. :)

I've always been into music. But due to money considerations (not having any, mostly) I've made do with B&M equipment and did everything possible to get the best possible sound out of it.

I.E. Tuning and calibrating, using good wire and interconnects, measuring distances b/t speakers and listening postitions, etc.

I have found that a low-range list of gear, setup properly can sound better than better equipment just hooked up and turned on. :) Checking out your links now.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have found that a low-range list of gear, setup properly can sound better than better equipment just hooked up and turned on.
Hahaha. I've proved this one time and again. One friend easily spent 2x what I did on my setup, and I respect every piece of gear he has. However, he came over to listen to my properly calibrated, tweaked, cared for setup with an arrogant air and left humble.

I've seen Axiom blems, and to be honest, I would not have batted an eye at what they called a blemish. Sound damn nice for the price too.

Andy_R

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andy
I can't speak from personal experience, but this is what it says on Axiom's website:

"The products offered here may have a slight blemish, but they are absolutely PERFECT in every other aspect of their sound performance ---- they have absolutely no operational problems or sound performance issues, and come with the same 30-day Money-Back Guarantee and 5-Year Warranty (1-Year for powered subwoofers) as our regular products."

BobAlbano

Second Unit
MichaelDDD,

It sounds like you are on the right track here with the "b" stock. Most companies that I have seen offer the same warranty with their "b" stock as they do with their "A" stock. Most of the time it is a slight blemish that they aren't happy with or it very well could be a return from someone that used them for the 30 day audition period and found out they weren't for them. I have purchase "b" stock from both SVS and AV123 in the past and both of the speakers that I got were darn near perfect. Going with the "b" stock is definitely something I would consider again as I like the additional savings! Happy listening! :cool:

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
MichaelDDD,

It sounds like you are on the right track here with the "b" stock. Most companies that I have seen offer the same warranty with their "b" stock as they do with their "A" stock. Most of the time it is a slight blemish that they aren't happy with or it very well could be a return from someone that used them for the 30 day audition period and found out they weren't for them. I have purchase "b" stock from both SVS and AV123 in the past and both of the speakers that I got were darn near perfect. Going with the "b" stock is definitely something I would consider again as I like the additional savings! Happy listening!
Thanks, BobAlbano. This is coming from the paranoid side of my brain (fully 1/2....:b) my only concern is getting a used/returned set. Could care less about a little nick in the finish.

I can't speak for Axiom, but I know a lot about computer parts...I'm a PC junkie and upgrade constantly. I know for a fact that many large internet PC parts retailers routinely send returned parts as new. This has happened to me only once (luck of the draw) but happens to my friends quite often.

We don't know if Axiom actually re-tests/re-checks all the returns for 100% operational quality or if they just give it the once over and rebox it.

I read their website guarantee of 100% operational capability...but still, I worry.

Maybe someone hooked them up to their 500W/channel amp and fried the little beasts, returned them and Axiom just threw them back on the B Stock shelf!

Granted, that's a worst-case scenario, but it could happen. That's the primary reason I don't buy used electronics.

I have sent them an email voicing my concerns. Am I over-paranoid? You bet.
:b

But for the chance to save $50 or more over new (considering the M22ti as well) I would do it if they could guarantee me I'm not getting someone's returned merchandise.

There are a lot of "good and trustworthy" people in the world. If I was returning a product b/c I didn't like it, I would take the utmost care, treating it as if I was keeping it when boxing it up and returning.

Not everyone has a guilty conscience, though.

Frank Mowry

Stunt Coordinator
Michael,
I have the M22, VP150, and QS4s that are all from the Axiom factory "blem" outlet. The only blemish I have found on any of them is a very small scratch on the BOTTOM of the VP150 center channel. It is so thin, I thought it was a piece of hair. About 1 1/2 inches long and again, on the bottom of the speaker. You can't even see it unless the speaker is upside down. The M22s and QS4s don't have a single thing I can see.

Also Axiom customer service is excellent. If they don't have a B-stock speaker listed in the outlet store, email amie@axiomaudio and ask if they have any b-stock of the speaker you are looking for. If they only have 1 or 2 pair of speakers they won't put them up on the outlet page.

There have been a few people who though they had a bad tweeter or mid in their speaker so they called Axiom and Axiom simply sent them a new replacement.

Frank

Jason Bell

Stunt Coordinator
I bought M22s B-stock and could not find a single thing wrong with them. Then about a month later I bought a pair of M60s, these were also in excellent condition but one of the speakers had a very tiny ripple in the vinyl. The ripple is so small you have to be within 6 inches and have light hitting it just right to even see it. I'm very happy with my purchases and buying B-stock saved me $200.00.

I'm not positive about this but I think they guarantee that the grills and drivers will be perfect cosmetically. Of course you get the same warranty as A-stock.

Steve_Corrick

Stunt Coordinator
Damned if I can find any blem on my B stock M3ti's. It might have been something with the cabinet before application of the fake veneer finish. No problem with speaker a year later. PRETTY GOOD DEAL !

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
I recently made the switch from Klipsch Reference to Axiom speakers and i can't believe how much more detail i hear now. I always thought the Klipsch were detailed but the Axioms are easily the more detailed speaker. The Axioms are more accurate with better imaging(the Klipsch did image well also) and soundstage. For the money the Axioms are tough to beat and with the added B-Stock discounts they are a superb value.

Dalton

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
I've already sent Amie an email. :) I have yet to decide whether I want the M22s or the M3s though.

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
I'm leaning that way, John. I like the look of the M22s very much and the reviews I've read seem to lean towards them as well.

Acknowledging that they were not designed for true "bass response" (that's what a sub is for) what's the diff in upper base response b/t the M3 and the M22?

I would think a 6.5" driver would play lower and louder than two 5" drivers, but there are TWO of them.

Thoughts, John?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks