Axiom EP500 Subwoofer ?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Gary SI, Sep 30, 2004.

1. Gary SI

Gary SI Stunt Coordinator

Hi Guy`s,
    The Axiom EP500 is now for sale on Axiom`s web site.
    Question is , are they good ?
    I know that opinions could only come from folks that have had a chance to hear this sub prior to it release or anyone that has an EP350.
    What I need to know is :
    What makes a "digital" sub ( EP500 & EP600 ) , they don`t appear to be "servo" controlled , so how is the driver controlled ?
    Will it go "pop" when driven too hard ?
    Is [are] there sub`s "protected" against being overdriven?
    Thank for your help .

Now !!
    My current sub is a Velodyne F1200R ( "R" for remote), it is a very "musical" sub , in fact it is a perfect sub for music . However with todays "heavy- bottom" dvd sound tracks , it just dose`nt fair as well.

So I am looking for a sub that can "drive the nails loose" and can Axiom subs do that at a good volume without "clipping" ?
    That`s it , and many thanks for your help.
    Also if anyone would like to make an offer on my F1200R , please feel free , Thanks [​IMG]
    Gary

2. Gary SI

*Bump*

Thank You
    [​IMG]

3. Craig Chase

Craig Chase Gear Guru
    Supporter

Craig
    Gary - I have no clue how the EP-500 will perform when compared to other offerings in its price range.

TO sell your subwoofer, check out audiogon... Velodyne subs do very well there. Then take some time to reaearch what is available.

Good luck !

4. Gary SI

Thanks for the tip , Craig [​IMG]
    I`ll check it out !!
    Gary [​IMG]

5. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

>>>What makes a "digital" sub ( EP500 & EP600 ) , they don`t appear to be "servo" controlled , so how is the driver controlled ?

6. Gary SI

Hi Tom,
    Thanks for the info [​IMG]
    So if I understand you correctly , the DSP performs the same function as a "mechanical" servo , put does so in a digital domain.
    So it will basical correct and diminish the amount of distrotion that would be created by say a non "digital - non servo" sub.
    Is the correct ?
    The subs cross over would not be used as my hook up is one cable from my amp (DSP-A1 / crossed @90hz) to the subwoofer. However , with my Velodyne I have noticed that the high I set the crossover the more bass I get , that has always puzzled me. Not realy sure whats going on.
    O--BTW thanks for the tip about adding another , but I don`t have the room. So I either need to upgrade to a sub that will go deep and "happy" or live with a sub that has to be srtickly reined in when it comes to movies. ( and what fun is that LOL).
    Thanks again for your help [​IMG]
    Gary [​IMG]

7. Tony Genovese

Tony Genovese Supporting Actor

I didn't read that in Tom's response, but I could be wrong.

8. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Hi Gary,

>>>Hi Tom,
    Thanks for the info
    So if I understand you correctly , the DSP performs the same function as a "mechanical" servo , put does so in a digital domain.>So it will basical correct and diminish the amount of distrotion that would be created by say a non "digital - non servo" sub.
    Is the correct ?40hz. That is why the lower you set the subwoofer's crossover...the more the upper bass produced by the subwoofer will be attenuated.

>>>O--BTW thanks for the tip about adding another , but I don`t have the room. So I either need to upgrade to a sub that will go deep and "happy" or live with a sub that has to be srtickly reined in when it comes to movies. ( and what fun is that LOL).
    Thanks again for your help
    Gary

9. Gary SI

Hi Tom ,
    Thank you VERY much [​IMG] for your reply and help !!
    WOW you sure did explain it well.
    So unless a sub as a switch to turn off the internal crossover , it will always remain active.
    Good to know.
    I guess a lot of subs today have that switch (LFE-IN)
    If a sub has that feature and you have it set to "LFE" , how does 2ch, stereo bass come into the mix , or doesn`t it ?
    Sorry to be so thick >[​IMG]
    Thanks again for all your great hep and advise !!
    Gary [​IMG]

10. TimMc

TimMc Stunt Coordinator

Gary - there's a little introduction to the Axiom subs currently right up on top of the page at Audioholics. No, it's not like a totally in-depth review, but the graphs & stuff do help highlite a bit of what the DSP is being used for in Axiom's application here.

11. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

http://www.audioholics.com/productre...00ep600p1.html

Here's the Audioholics hotlink. If you want to see what dynamic/power compression looks like, take a look at the anechoic FR curves for the EP600 as the volume is increased. The first two curves are linear and flat as a pancake down to 15 Hz - up to about 90 dB. Above 90 dB, the FR starts to wilt around 25 Hz, indicating the onset of compression.

Nice write-up by Gene DellaSala and the Audioholics staff. [​IMG]