Axiom audition

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jerry DeWitt, Mar 8, 2003.

1. Jerry DeWitt

Jerry DeWitt Extra

Let me just say, today sucked. I woke up planning on making a drive to Windsor (Canada) to try out some Axiom speakers at Future House. From everything I have read about Axiom, I felt like a 6 year old on Christmas morning. I could not wait to get to Future House and try out these speakers. I made the 1 and 1/2 hour drive only to find out they were closed for some "Home and Garden Show". So I drove around Windsor trying to find out where this "Home and Garden Show" was so I could see if they had a booth with Axiom speakers. I was hoping that someone from Future House would follow me back to the store so I could audition these baby's for a possible purchase. But the owner was alone at the booth, and told me to come back Monday and he would give me a good deal.
    I have auditioned every thing from Paradigm Mini monitors to Energy C3's to Kef Q1's. I had a chance to direct compare the Kef Q1's to the Energy C3's to the Polk RTi38's. Let me say, if you listen to the Polk's without anything else, they sound very nice. When you A/B them with the Kef's or Energy's, You really find out how much detail you are missing from the Polk's.
    I have owned A 5.1 set up of Klipsch KSB1.1's for the last few years and really liked them. I was at a Dealer a few weeks ago and had a chance to hear Ref 7's up against some Mirage and Phase Tech's. The Klipsch blew them away, but was way out of my budget. I could possible get away with the Ref 3 II's from Klipsch. I just bought a Harmon Kardon AVR 525 and just finished my DIY 12" Titanic MK II sub and really want something that will sound great with my set up. My room is 12'-3" x 21'-3" x 8' high. I am 50%/50% music/HT. Will the Harmon Kardon sound good with the:

RF-3II (front)
    RC-3II (center)
    RS-3II (rears)

The owner of Future House said he does not have the QS8's (Axiom) in stock, This would make 2 more trips to Canada if I purchase the Axioms. Are the Axioms that much better than Klipsch RF series? Again, I do like the sound of Klipsch. After listening to so many bookshelf speakers and not finding anything I really like, I think its time to step up to the towers. The big question is, which ones?

I would appreciate any thoughts.

2. JimC_A

JimC_A Stunt Coordinator

I have the M60's, QS8's, VP150, and the EP175. I couldn't be happier. I didn't care for the Klipsch brand. I also think...IMHO...the QS8 is the best surround I've heard to date. I don't regret my Axiom purchase one bit.

3. Mike Fenech

Mike Fenech Agent

Personal opinion - you're better served by taking your time (as much as you can stand, anyway [​IMG] ) and checking all your options before you buy.

Give the Axioms their due. You're fortunate to even be able to demo and A/B them, compared to most others in the US.

4. Ben_Page

Ben_Page Auditioning

Agree with listening to as many as possible before buying. I tried everything readily available around my home and then took the Axiom Leap of Faith and don't regret it. I did not find anything even close to the M60's in their price range. And yes the Axioms are very clear (some call it bright) and not as forgiving to source material and amplification as some other brands.

5. Jeff_Fitz

Jeff_Fitz Stunt Coordinator

Jerry:

If you are able to take a leap of faith and want to avoid more trips to Windsor, I would suggest contacting Marc Hallam at The Audioshop in Ottawa. I dealt with Marc for my Axioms and he was extremely patient and informative. Marc can also save you some money over buying direct from Axiom.

You can check out AudioShop's website at http://www.audioshop.on.ca.

Jeff

6. Jerry DeWitt

Jerry DeWitt Extra

I finally made it to "Future House" today to give the Axioms a test drive. When I got there, they only had Axiom. So A/B test was out of the question with anything else. After hearing the M22, M3, M50 and the M60's, I felt the M60's sounded the best (and they should for the cost). The only problem was that none of them blew me away, no "WOW" factor, they just sounded good. I did feel that something was missing, but I could not put my finger on it. So I think I will end up going with the Klipsch. I went to the Local Dealer yesterday and listened to the 5.1 set up of R3's (RF3II, RS3II & RC3II) and they really sound great.

I appreciate the suggestions.

7. ernie.bin

ernie.bin Stunt Coordinator

have you tried listening to the energy conniseur line or paradigm studios?

they seem to be in your price range if you're looking at m60s and might be something to try out.

8. Chris A H

Chris A H Stunt Coordinator

Jerry,

I have the Klipsch KSB 3.1's in the front and use the 1.1's for surrounds, so I know what you mean when you say you "really liked them." I spent 3 months auditioning before I bought these, and it was the sound of these that kept drawing me back.

Take your time, and don't worry what others think or say and go by what your ears tell you! There are a lot of good speakers out there if you have the time to listen to them.

9. JakeMcM

JakeMcM Stunt Coordinator

I thought that the audioshop was starting to have to refer peole to order direct from Axiom.

10. Joey_N

Joey_N Agent

That's the rumor I heard too. Bummer if it was.

11. MarkWC

MarkWC Stunt Coordinator

True, Marc is selling Axiom to in-store customers only. All telephone, fax, email orders are going directly to Axiom.

Maybe it will give him incentive to pick up Paradigm again!

12. Leon O

Leon O Stunt Coordinator

Marc might still be shipping Axiom. About a month ago he quoted me delivered prices (to Massachusetts) on both Axiom and Dahlquist speakers. Marc is great to work with. I can't be positive that he is still shipping Axiom because I went with the Dahl's (which are fantstic, but that's for a different thread [​IMG] ) However, it is definately worth giving Marc a call or e-mail about the Axiom's. Everything you here about his service is true, it is outstanding.

Good Luck!