What's new

Axiom audio vs Swan vs ?? (1 Viewer)

Marcus Lewis

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Rotel RSX 965 (75watts RMS per channel) and an SV 16-46+ with a Samson S1000 on the way! :)
Looking to upgrade my POS speakers with some quality bookshelves ... Who needs towers with an SV right? ;)
I'm 75% HT/Xbox and 25% music. I play everything LOUDLY! I've already burst the tweeters on my current bookshelves ... A pair of Pyle Driver Pros rated at 300w ... They were lying around so I decide to use them for the while ...
The Diva 2.1 and C3 will run me $900 US
http://www.av123.com/divaproducts.html
But I went over to Axiomaudio and saw that I can get a pair of M22Ti's and a VP150 for $750 US.
http://www.axiomaudio.com/products.cfm?productID=M22
http://www.axiomaudio.com/products.cfm?productID=VP150
Would the Axioms sound better than the Diva setup I'm looking at?
Any other recommendations? I'm in Trinidad, so shipping is a factor and the exchange rate is 6:1 so cost is a BIG factor, lol
Any and all recommendations welcome, thanks in advance ...

Marcus,

I've not heard these speakers personally, so what I'm about to say is coming from others I've talked to and the few professional reviews available.

The Diva speakers should be a bit more "laid back" in their presentation, and a bit more "rounded off" at the high end of the frequency spectrum. Their silk dome tweeter will be more refined and smooth than the metal dome in the Axiom...

On the other hand, not everyone likes that particular combination of attributes...

The Axiom speakers will be more "forward" in their presentation, and more extended at the higher frequencies. They could, therefore, also prove to be harsh at the highest frequencies. Some people find this type of speaker to be fatiguing to listen to for long periods of time; especially at higher volumes.

The Diva's have a slight edge in the bass region in terms of accuracy and extension. However, the Axiom's power rating is significantly higher.

Either speaker should play LOUD! Though the Axiom will play louder with the 75 watts your Rotel puts out - the Axiom M22ti's are supposedly 95 dB efficient, while the Swans Diva 2.1's are only 87 dB efficient. That means that you'll need nearly 8 times as much power to get the Diva's to play at the same volume - you need double the power for a 3 dB increase in SPL. I.E., it will take approximately 8 watts to get the 2.1's to sound as loud as the M22ti's at 1 watt. Therefore, your Rotel's clean 75 watts will be "sucked up" much more quickly by the Diva's. When your amp is at maximum with the Diva's, it would only require around 10 watts with the Axioms to reach the same relative volume... something to think about if you like it LOUD.

What do you like? Loud and in your face... or smooth, refined, and a bit laid back? I prefer the latter; but given your stated preferences, you may prefere the former.

The choice is yours.

Dan_Jones

Stunt Coordinator
Hmmm..I'll agree on some points. The Swans will be more laid back; but the Axiom's are not at all harsh (to me). I have the Axiom M50's, M3's and VP100 and I find that they are not at all fatiguing.
Saying the Axiom's are "Loud and in your face" without even hearing them is a great injustice to an exceptional speaker company.
If you want to get the M22's/VP150 for cheaper, you should check out www.audioshop.on.ca Marc will definitely be able to get you a better deal via him.
Here's a review of the M22Ti's if you hadn't already seen it.
The Axiom's are extraordinarily accurate speakers, very very detailed and lifelike in presentation with exceptional imaging and soundstage. Plus, like has been said, they're much more efficient.
I'd say go for the Axiom's. The M22 is an exceptional bookshelf and the VP150 is great center, plus you'll have money left to splurge on something else.
Best of luck on your purchase.

Dan_Jones

Stunt Coordinator
That looks like a fine JBL speaker set. For the most part I think you're probably going to get more bang for your buck going with either Axiom or Swan then JBL (but then again I'm biased), but its up to you. You'd at least be able to audition the JBL's at your local Best Buy or other dealer.
My brother has a JBL set which sounds quite nice; yet I prefer the Axioms due to their extreme accuracy and clarity and more precise imaging.
BUT i'm probably biased :) so maybe you should go give them a listen; that's what its all about!

Gentlemen,
I didn't mean to do anyone an injustice; my sincere apology if that has been the case. I prefaced my earlier comments with the statement that "I've not heard these speakers personally, so what I'm about to say is coming from others I've talked to and the few professional reviews available," in an attempt to avoid that exact situation.
My personal taste admittedly leans heavily toward the silk dome tweeter. The only metal dome tweeter I've found that I believe I could listen to for extended periods of time is the B&W Nautilus tweeter. Every other metal tweeter, be it aluminum, titanium, or some amalgam of metals, has been unsatisfactory. They become harsh or shrill under certain circumstances, and I am limited to short durations of enjoyment... followed by long periods of aural recovery.
I will stipulate that many people do not find metal domes as irritating as I do, and I'll further stipulate that my own preference is for speakers such as Vienna Acoustics, Soliloquy, Joseph Audio, KEF, ProAc, Martin-Logan, Meadowlark Audio, Von Schweikert Audio, or the afore mentioned B&W Nautilus... all SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive than the Diva or Axiom speakers we're discussing here.
That being said, I will once again state that I do not know from personal experience how the Axiom metal dome tweeter sounds, nor can I comment on your personal preference, room, or associated equipment Marcus. I'm only stating my opinion... for what it's worth.
In case you're interested, here are a couple links to professional reviews of the Diva line, including a review of the 2.1's, and a shootout between the Axiom M3ti, Diva 2.1 and several other brands:
Diva 2.1 at Cheap Home Theater
Shootout against Axiom M3ti
Link Removed
Diva 6.1 at Stereo Times
Hope you find this discussion helpful.

Russell _T

Supporting Actor
If you want speakers in your home that look like fine furniture and sound like they cost 5K then I think the Divas are worth strong consideration.

Russ

Dan_Jones

Stunt Coordinator
Hi John; sorry if it seemed like I was lashing back lol..didn't mean to come off that way; just hard to accept a generality of someone who hasn't heard a specific brand. :)
It should be pointed out that a comparison against the M3's isn't really fair when considering the M22's. The SoundStage review here does some comparison of the M22 to the M3, basically saying that they are better design/better performer.
Its really hard to say which one would be better; but for the money I don't think Axiom can be beat (consider the price difference vs. the Swans of the setup you're considering I guess).
BUT, best of luck with any direction! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks