What's new

Axiom, AperionAudio or Paradigm? (1 Viewer)

theresme1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Johnny Le
These three speakers has been mention on this forum the most. I am looking for a set of floor standing speakers for my living room(17x25). My budget for these floor stand speakers are about $1500. Which of these three speakers would you guys get? Of course I welcome any other brand you guy might suggest.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The other I usually recomend are the SVS MTS-02........http://www.svsound.com/products-spks-mts02.cfm (on-sale $1299), Swan Diva 6.1......http://www.theaudioinsider.com/product_info.php?loudspeakers=original-swan-diva&p=swan-diva-6-1&cPath=21_30&products_id=48 ($1159/$939 in Black Cherry vinyl), the replacement Swan 6.2.......http://www.theaudioinsider.com/product_info.php?loudspeakers=swan-diva&p=swan-diva-6-2&cPath=21_30_22&products_id=29 ($1299) and the PSB Imagine and Image series......http://www.saturdayaudio.com/. ($719-$1599). There are many more in the $1500 price range. Don't know where to start.

theresme1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Johnny Le
Gene, thanks again. I saw the Swan 6.2 and it kinda look like the B&W with the little thing on top of the speaker that is a tweeter I guess. As you know I have purchase the B&W CM5 and I love the way it sound. How does the Swan compare to the CM5? I was gonna buy another set of CM5 for my living room but I have kids and I want a floor stand instead of book shelf speakers.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Swans are pretty good speakers for the money. I have the 5.1's from the original series (along with a pair of 2.1's and a C3 center). The 6.1's have always been considered a very good speaker for music. Fairly deep bass and the 6" mid-range provides very smooth vocals. I went with the smaller 5.1's. Just thought the 6.1's were a bit over-kill for my setup. But for a stereo pair they would be wonderfull. I haven't heard the 6.2's but they should be comparable, even with a 5" mid-range. Looks (especially in-person), build quality are very good and the there was obviously a lot of though put into the crossover. The tweeter is where they may have saved a little money. It' isn't bad by any means but some think it isn't quite up to the standards of the rest of the speaker. When AV123 was in business their Rocket series used the same cabinet but different drivers and most importantly, the famous Vifa Ring Radiating tweeter. The cost of the Rockets was also much higher than the Swans. It would be hard to compare the Swan towers to the CM5 bookshelves. Much of the cost of a speaker is in the cabinet and that really eats up a lot of the budget in a tower. That's why bookshelves are often thought to be the better value. More of the money goes towards the drivers/crossover than the cabinets. I don't think you could expect the Swans to have the detail and sound stage of the B & W's. While I really like my Swans, and there are many very good towers in the $1500 price range, I think you should give the SVS MTS's a closer look. Fellow mwmber Dave F has a set. PM him for his opinions. His thread "How to buy new speakers" is a sticky in the Speakers forum

theresme1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Johnny Le
Once again, thank you for your input, Gene. I have not look at all into the SVS MTS speaker. After reading your respond, I quickly looked into the MTS. I am completely in love with my SVS Sub, and I am sure that their MTS will sound just as good. My only concern is the way it look. The look of the speaker maybe it just my personal taste, doesn't look very appealing. One of the reason I bought my CM5 was the way it. The wifey wants something that looks good for the house. These tower I'm looking for is going in my living room. I know I am asking too much for only wanting to spend about $1500, but I'm looking for something that sound just as good as the CM5 and look just as good as it. Again, the only reason why I am not buying another set of CM5 is because I have 2 little devil at home. I figure a floor stand speakers is safer to have in the living room. Thank you again for your respond, Gene.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The MTS has been critisized for it's appearance. Supposedly they look better in person but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think the Swans are gorgeous but again.... But as I mentioned earlier, because so much of the money is in the cabinet of tower speakers it leaves much less $$$ available for the drivers, tweeters and crossovers. You just can't expect an $1000-$1500 tower to sound and look as good as a $1500 bookshelf. Having said that, I'm not disappointed in the way my Swans look or sound. Just walking into the room and looking at them puts a smile on my face! If you have more questions about the Swans feel free to contact Jon Lane at TheAudioInsider.com. He responds to e=mails fairly quickly and gives detailed and insightfull responses. You can even call him if you like. He's the one who usually answers the phone. And doesn't just sell Swans. He had a hand in the design as well.

theresme1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Johnny Le
Gene, I was a step ahead of you already and have already called and spoken to John yesterday. Very nice guy. We spoke for a good 15 minutes. He was very patient with all of my naive questions. I had call to ask about the Diva 6.2 since I figure that was a replacement for the 6.1 it must be better. John was honest and said for my setup he think the little less expensive 6.1 is better fit for me. Talking to him almost made me buy a set right away, but I knew I didn't need them for at least another month. After seeing your post, to be honest I was a little disappointed. I was hoping you tell me the Swan sound just as good as the B&W CM5. I wish I can sample the Swan locally here so I can compare personally how it sound. Swan Diva are still high on my list and as for your recommendation of the SVS MTS, I think the look of it really makes it hard to buy. The wife wants something cooler looking for the living room. I jokingly said, "give me more money. I'll get you cooler looking one."(Or was I joking?):) Anyhow, I still have about a month to decide. Even though I have rushed and bought all my gears for my HT, I have absolutely no regret on the gears I bought for it. However, I want to be little patient with the setup in my living room. This is where I will be spending most of my, time so I want to be completely happy with my setup. Gene, once again thank you for your insight. Please, if you have any other thoughts or suggestions let me know.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
"After seeing your post, to be honest I was a little disappointed." Well, you shouldn't be. Comparing towers to bookshelves is a very tricky process and has caused much debate over the years. If you want a pair of towers that sound as good as your CM5"s then you'll need a pair of B & W CM8's. Right now you're asking an $1100 pair of speakers to sound as good as a $2000+ pair would. Ain't gonna happen. Bottom line is those CM5's should be compared to $2000+ towers. The Swan 6.1's are very well regarded speakers. Just keep the expectations reasonably within their price range. Want to see some excellent Swan speakers? Look at the Swan High End section of Jon's website. The Swan 2.1's I'm using as surrounds would be the dirrect comparison to the CM5's. Bookshelves with 6" drivers. They cost me $329 a pair when they were available. You wouldn't expect them to sound as good as the CM5's I hope. Here's a picture. Here's my 5.1's just for fun.

theresme1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Johnny Le
Gosh Gene, those Swan speakers sure looks good! I almost want to get them just for their look. : ) The CM8 is what I originally had consider, but I was hoping to find some ID speaker that were a little cheaper and sound comparable to the CM5. I might just have to buy the CM8. Wifey gonna kill me....lol.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I've been to Magnolia a few times since they started carrying B & W and there's never been anyone there to help me audition them. Don't get me wrong. The Swan 6.1's are wonderfull speakers and for $939 + s/h for the Black Cherry vinyl (the Rosewood is an extra $220 ) They are a great bargain. And with dual 8" drivers I'm pretty sure they will put out more bass than the CM8's. I don't think you would be disappointed in them. Jon also offers a 30 day in-home trial but return shipping would be $$$. But with the excellent pricing the quality of the drivers and tweeter just can't compare to those in the B & W's. Even though I would love to up-grade my Swans I've never felt the need to. And they were only $1375 shipped for the fronts, center and surrounds. Here's a few more to make the decision harder. 1) Ascend Acoustics. Don't let the low price fool you. these are very nice speakers. They are available with matching stands that convert them to towers. http://www.ascendacoustics.com/ 2) Mourdant-Short. The center channel received less than steller reviews but they were amazed at how good the bookshelves and towers performed. http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/MORDAVI8RW/Mordaunt-Short-Aviano-8-Four-way-6-Floorstanding-Speaker-Pair-Rosewood/1.html 3) Atlantic Technology ATI. The Forum owners heard these at the Las Vegas CES and were astounded at how a speaker with 5 1/4" drivers could go down to 29 hz. http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ALAT1 The best value in a tower speaker is probably a good used pair of Thiels. Or a DIY project. And don't forget about the three you were initially considering. All worthy of your money. Just for fun I thought I'd post a picture of some other Swan speakers I've had in the past, the Dulcet D3.2's. I can't seem to post the link but here's the URL-http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90960. I bought the 5 piece set (new) from a guy on ebay and loved the fronts and surrounds but the center channel just didn't do it for me. Sold them all on Audiogon. He sells the fronts for $899 + $117(!) for freight. The towers put out a lot of good, deep bass for 6" drivers (the same ones used in some Dynaudio and Totem models) but I'm afraid the tweeter is probably the weak point again. But replace the Hi-Vi tweeters with some from Scanspeak and it would be a fantastic speaker. They look even better in person. Not a wood vaneer but a whole slab of Walnut slapped on the sides. But I still think the SVS's would be as close as you would get to the CM5's for the money. Shame about the looks, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks