What's new

Awful Experience with TV Repair (1 Viewer)

MattStills

Auditioning
Some of you might remember that I had purchased a Panasonic CT27D12D and had some problems with a loud buzzing/whining noise and discoloration of the corners of the screen.

I thought I would be in good hands since the TV had in home service. Well after waiting about a week for an appointment, the guys finally came. I made the mistake of not being home when they came, it was just my dad. When I got home I noticed NONE OF THE PROBLEMS were fixed. They blamed the problem on my center channel speaker. I removed it, the problems persisted.

I call them immediately, demand they come back and take the TV in. I point out the problems personally, they take the TV back.

In the meantime, I use an old Sony 20" Trinitron with the same center on top. No discoloration, no whining buzzing sound.

FINALLY 2 weeks later they deliver the TV. I figure it will be fixed. They tell me they found nothing wrong with it and blame it on my center speaker. I'm just standing there in disbelief... I'm so angry with this company.

I'm taking the TV back and spending some money and getting a good tube... I just cannot stand these problems and obviously the repair crew doesnt' want to admit there is a problem.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member

Is the center-channel speaker shielded? If not, then it could very well have caused the problem. And often this sort of damage is permanent (I know from experience).

Still haven't even taken my own CT-27D12D out of its box, though; the unit's underneath my kitchen table. Except for the discoloration, did you like the set?

Jerry Dreiss

Stunt Coordinator
Who even makes a center channel speaker that's not shielded? I can see a problem if someone uses a speaker that was not designed as a center channel, but don't CC manufacturers know they will be placed right next/on top of TVs?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
You're right about dedicated center-channel designs: They had better be shielded! So, was the speaker in question a true center-channel unit? We await the answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks