What's new

Awesome! Magnum P.I. Season One Coming This Summer (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Just watched Never Again, Never Again last night. Wow! What an incredible episode!

You know, I never really watched this show before. I've wanted to for a long time, being a fan of other Bellisario properties such as Quantum Leap and Airwolf. I was hoping for it to hit DVD for a long time, and I haven't regretted what was basically a blind purchase. This show is even better than I could have hoped.

Oh, and did I mention how beautiful is Hawaii? :D

ScottCor

Stunt Coordinator
Mike,
Maybe I'm just used to the style but not seeing anything jarring in the edits..other then if you mean when it cuts to when the commerical break used to be. It's funny I almost need a commerical in there to help with the flow of watching the show..lol...habits ;)

Greg,
Yes, the same with me..I watched the show off and on but never every week, and I am really enjoying the mixture of serious episodes and kind of silly episodes. The dog one was rather amusing..espcially when Magnum runs into the pot field..lol...well worth the money, can't wait for season 2.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
A lot of those abrupt cuts are at the commercial breaks, and I believe they were done for stylistic effect. Something big happens, and you suddenly cut to an ad.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Has anyone noticed any synching issues with this set? It seemed really noticeable to me in China Doll and now Missing In Action. An example in the latter is the scene in Rick's office right after the girl faints. The audio seems off for every character. I'm wondering if this is a glitch, player-related, or perhaps it's the result of dialog looping and has always been present. I'm no expert, but to my ears, the dialog seems looped a fair amount of the time in every episode. Particularly when scenes are shot outdoors, the audio just seems too up front to have been recorded on location. For that reason, I would expect to see some sync issues outdoors, but it concerns me when I see it in scenes shot on the set.

For the record, my player's a Pioneer DV-414.

Greg Br

Second Unit
I dont post much around here, but I just got the set as it was one of my favs as a kid, and no doubt there is some synching issues.

Also to point out, every series has some bad episodes, The Ugliest Dog in Hawaii episode being one. My wife said to me 45 minutes into the movie "what is this all about".

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I liked that episode, but Missing in Action wasn't my favorite. What was with all that premonition crap? Strangely, I watched that right after I watched "The Psychic," an episode of Starsky and Hutch.

ScottCor

Stunt Coordinator
I agree the Ugliest Dog wasn't all that bad..You have to have a few goofy episodes mixed in or it get's a little heavy handed week to week.
*************************Spoiler Alert***************
***************SPOILER**************************** ***
Just watched Missing in Action Last night..taking my time watching the set...and yep the premonition thing seemed dumb..actually the whole episode seemed off ,I thought Magnum wasn't himself in this one..what was that at the end after the delta guy on the tower get's shot and falls into the water, it would have been nice if someone checked to see if he was really dead or maybe was just wounded..they just assumed he was dead..thought that was odd.
****************END of Spoiler*************************
Overall really enjoying these early episodes..but can't wait for future seasons as it does get better later on.

Greg Br

Second Unit
I basically watch one per week just like the series, though I watched a few the first week, and Mondays I have no real shows so I watched missing in action last night. It was ok, and at the end I was thinking the same thing, in fact I thought the guy was shot in the foot. I think there was alot of set up going on in the show, it really was about Magnum's distrust in the government agencys, a point hammered home in the first few episodes. It also for the first time let us know how Rick was tied to Higgens with Robin Masters owning the Club.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I'm surprised I didn't like the episode better, since it had the always-reliable Lance LeGault. It wasn't horrible, I just didn't like the element I mentioned above. Plus, I was pretty tired when I watched it, and that often colors my judgment.

MattFini

Supporting Actor
I've been waiting breathlessly to hear Universal announce season 2, but it hasn't happened yet. I know that season 1 has only been out for a month but I'm just hoping that it sold well enough to ensure a second season release.

Anybody know how its been selling?

Jim-M

Second Unit
Its Amazon sales rank is 167. I'm guessing that is pretty decent, but I don't really know. Regardless, I'm really enjoying this current set.

MattFini

Supporting Actor
Same here! I grew up in the 80s and watched the last few seasons of Magnum P.I. at a time when I was probably a little too young to appreciate it. So watching season 1 (of which I had only seen two episdoes from in reruns) has been a real treat!

ScottCor

Stunt Coordinator
It was worth it just to see Erin Gray in a bikini in the J Digger episode..:)

Seriously though It has been fun, I can't wait for more seasons.

Greg Black

Second Unit

Greg, I noticed that as well. I was watching it on my Sony 550. I had to stop the disc completely, then go back through the menu and start the episode over to fix the sync problem. I haven't tried it on my Denon, but I will to see if it repeats there as well.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Haven't heard anything on this thread in awhile...posted this on the current all-purpose thread calling for a Season 2 Magnum set, among others:

My wife and I have also stretched Magnum out about as much as possible. We have one Season 1 episode left, as well as the bonus eps. Would love to see some extras included on the next installment, tho I have been more than happy with Season 1's overall presentation.

I think it's imperative to get the original gang back together for a commentary/reunion...it is quite evident upon rewatching the series, just how important the chemistry of Magnum/Higgins/TC/Rick was to the show's success. We constantly crack up at the continuous tete-a-tete nature of the Magnum/Higgins relationship and lament the episodes when Rick and TC do not figure prominently.

ScottCor

Stunt Coordinator
I stretched it out all I could but I couldn't bring myself to watch the bonus episodes..Just seems funny jumping seasons, I want to wait and see if the other seasons come out first..though I do appreciate the Simon and Simon cross-over episode that will come in handy later.

Chris Bergmann

Second Unit

I did the same thing - although it'll most likely be 2006 before we can "insert" those two episodes in the right place. :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks