What's new

Awesome! Magnum P.I. Season One Coming This Summer (1 Viewer)

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
People ask about the name all the time because it's not a common spelling i guess. But since you asked the answer is male and you are correct in how it is pronounced aaron ;)

GarySchrock

Second Unit
Personally I still can't believe that universal considers it acceptable to put double sided discs in these sets. Especially in those stupid plastic trays. It's just too much of a pain to get the discs out. In this set a couple of the discs I just didn't think I'd be able to get out, and the discs bend far more than I'm happy with trying to get them out. Add to that that you have to be exceptionally carefull, because you can't put your fingers on the top at all, and it's just a nightmare. Someone needs to come up with a better disc holder if they're going to do that, something like the snappers hub, which works real well (ok, yeah, the rest of the case on snappers suck but the hub was great).

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter

I was just going to mention the same thing. I am having major trouble getting the discs out aswell. It takes me a few minutes to safely remove a disc. This reminds me of the battestar galactica set which also was like this.

Jim-M

Second Unit
My Magnum set arrived yesterday, appropriately on a Thursday since that was the night the show was on. I don't recall how much I saw of Season one when it originally aired. I may not have started watching until later. The picture quality on the first episode is excellent. This has to be the best it's ever looked. I saw most of the original airings on a 13" TV with rabbit ears, so it's definitely the best I've ever seen it. I was surprised that the first episode of the series had all the elements of the show that attracted me to it. Quite often it seems it takes a while for a series to hit its stride. Other than the lame theme music of the first episode, this one clicks from the get go.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
I just finished off the set. That was fabulous i just hope we see more seasons released in the future. As much as i liked season one i think the show only gets better.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Shows are to be savored like a fine wine, not gulped like the cheap stuff Higgins gives you! I haven't even flipped disc one yet. :)

ScottCor

Stunt Coordinator

Well if my local Best Buy is any indication it's selling well so far..only 2 copies left last night and they had quite a few the other day..

Jim-M

Second Unit

I definitely agree with you about savoring these shows over time. To each their own I guess.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter

Great Line! lol ... that higgins would let him have a bottle of wine from last tuesday is hilarious.

I will definately savor this show by watching it many times over. I won't be watching it that quickly again. It was addicting & i had not seen alot of these episodes in awhile. I would just pop a disc in and click play all.

I guess if you were to always savor something they never would have marathon's and thats basically what i had a nice 4 day magnum marathon. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT!!

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Well, I do it with Stargate. I just go nuts watching that show. Part of what helps me go slower through other sets is the fact that I have several going at the same time. I'll watch Magnum one night, then Starsky, then maybe Andromeda. I watch Stargate at least once every night, though. :)

But, for now, Magnum has been bumped to once a night, too.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I am having some help to get through this set. My 11 year old son has never seen a Magnum episode. We watched the pilot last Wednesday, then moved to the crossover episode with Simon & Simon. He just can't get enough, is eager to watch them straight through.

Here's hoping Simon&Simon find their way to dvd also.

I am really enjoying exposing my son to some of these classic TV shows now available on dvd.

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor
Regarding the pilot - I've watched it many times before (in Germany they always show the "movie" version) and I don't think that anything is missing.

I'm not 100% sure, but until somebody digs up a VHS recording of the original airing to prove that it's the syndicated version, I'm going to assume that they just split the movie into two parts without cutting anything.

Now where's the announcement for season two? :)

I do the same thing with a season set...binge TV DVD watching. I did it recently with Millennium, Keen Eddie and Boomtown.

Then I go back and savor each episode after I have watched any extras or commentary.

I love TV on DVD. I am currrently renting all the released seasons of Angel (wow...how did I miss this show when it was airing??)and this is kind of forced savoring LOL

John

Mike Heenan

Second Unit
Shoot! I just threw out some VHS tapes recently and one of them was a tape my brother made of the first and last magnum, I think when they aired the last magnum, they showed the first one the week before or right after the last one? I've been watching the dvd, and noticed something weird, on episode 2, around 2:14:00, there is a weird cut, when Rick is on the bike, and the chinese guy raises his hand, there's a really quick shot of the chinese guys face, it looks like an odd cut. Was this the way it was aired originally or a problem in mastering?

ScottCor

Stunt Coordinator
I thought it looked ok..but then again I don't remember watching this one the first time around. It made sense to show his eyes closing meaning he was going to strike, and then left to wonder for moment if he was going to hit Rick....but like I said I dont' remember..good episode though.

Jim DiJoseph

Second Unit
Scott, you are correct. The Tong closes his eyes the instant before he strikes. TC noted that when he warned Magnum, which leads to one of the best endings of the series. When Rick was peddling the rickshaw, the camera closes in on the Tong as he is about to strike. We, the viewers, are supposed to wonder whether he was attacking Rick. That's the reason for the unusual editing.

Andreas_K

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not sure what to think of the Magnum packaging gimmick - the "Magnum P.I." letters that are raised on the front side of the box. They really stick out and remind me of some kind of glue that hasn't dried properly.
What I find "funny" is that if you place the box in the shelf next to another box it has the tendency to stick to the back of the other box as if it was glued to it a little. It's no real bother - I just hope other packages aren't damaged by that over time...

Mike Heenan

Second Unit
I have now watched the first two discs, and saw similar bad edits... kind of like Michael Winner movies, specifically Death Wish 2, where there's abrupt cuts and goes to another scene quickly etc. guess it was a technique to save on time, though it does look a little odd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks