What's new

Awesome Deanna Durbin box-19 discs!! (1 Viewer)

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Saw over at digitalbits that r 2 is getting a 19 disc boxed set of deanna Durbin that includes all but two of her films.
this is awesome - what are the chances we will get this set here?

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The set contains: Up In Central Park, That Certain Age, Something In The Wind, Lady On A Train, It Started With Eve, His Brother's Sister, I'll Be Yours, Hers To Hold, Nice Girl?, Three Smart Girls, Three Smart Girls Grow Up, First Love, 100 Men And A Girl, Mad About Music, Because Of Him, Can't Help Singing, For The Love Of Mary, The Amazing Mrs Holliday, Three Smart Girls

The retail price in the UK is £199.99, and the cheapest I've seen it on-line is £149.99 (about $275!)

It's at Amazon here

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I doubt Universal would release a 19 disc set in R1. More likely than not, they would take the approach they took with the "Sweetheart Pack" where they release 6-8 films on 2-discs with another couple of volumes.

Regards,

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
You can buy the DVDs individually in the UK. Some have been out for over a year. I just got CHRISTMAS HOLIDAY and have a few others on the way to me.

The discs aren't much, just the film without any real extras.

But I don't know why they are getting an R2 release but not in the US. I mean, Deanna saved Universal from bankruptcy. You'd think they wouldn't forget her like that. All her VHS are all out of print as well.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

CHRISTMAS HOLIDAY is very good. I have a couple more on the way to me so I'll let you know what those are like.

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
I too, watched my R2 copy of Christmas Holiday just the other night and was more than pleased with it.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
I've watched a few more of the R2 DVDs and all have had very good transfers, with the exception of HERS TO HOLD which isn't the best. A lot of scratches and the picture goes from too bright to too dark with each shot it seems. Still, it is highly watchable and I guess it never even made it to VHS in the US so it is worth seeing.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
It sure seems lots of people saved Universal from bankruptcy. I've heard that claim most frequently regarding Abbott & Costello, and also the second wave of horror films (Son of & House of Frankenstein, the cheap Mummy sequels), Ma & Pa Kettle, and just the other day WC Fields was given that credit too. And now Deanna. Seems like that studio was perpetually on the verge of Chapter 11.:D

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Deanna's first two films brought Universal back from the brink in 1936, paving the way for cheap horror sequels to come. :) ...And of all of the people to save Universal from bankruptcy, how many were Canadian, eh? So that makes her special. :)

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peteo
Recent bookmarks