Awaiting EARLY EDITION on DVD

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by HarrietJ, Oct 2, 2005.

1. HarrietJ

HarrietJ Auditioning

I am anxiously awaiting issuance of EARLY EDITION on DVD.

Early Edition (1996-2000) was, still is, the best show, and starred the best actor, Kyle Chandler, I have ever seen.

I want all 90 episodes with the original music and closed captioning.

Hurry, please! Thank you.

2. ChrisCook

ChrisCook Screenwriter

I'm a huge fan of "Early Edition". I'm looking forward to seeing Kyle Chandler (also with Colin Hanks) in "King Kong" this December.

As for the DVD, I think Gord said it was "currently under Sony's radar". I've been thinking about this and at the end of the second season episode "Hot Time in the Old Town", originally, CBS had an anniversary that year and all or was it a few select shows (I don't recall) paid a tribute to CBS programming. In "Early Edition's" case, they decided to do a tribute to "The Twilight Zone" and Rod Serling (they also filmed an alternate ending for syndication). This would be perfect if Image can get the licensing rights from Sony to release this. They released the two earlier "Twilight Zone" incarnations (if they could do it). I would love to see both alternate endings. I trust Image, and it would be a cold day in hell before I let Sony anywhere near this series.

3. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

A local station used to show the syndicated series, but they haven't carried the show for a couple of years. I was a huge fan of this show and would definitely purchase entire seasons.

4. ChrisCook

ChrisCook Screenwriter

Pax, now i, was airing it Mondays-Wednesdays at 10pm EST. Do you get i, Marty M?

5. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    Yeah, it's a cool show. My mother might even want a copy.

6. HarrietJ

HarrietJ Auditioning

Thank you, Greg_S_H, MartyM and ChrisCook, for your response to my request:
    EARLY EDITION on DVD - original music - CC - Now, please!

7. Greg_S_H

Greg
    Well, now it's apparently completely off the Independent Network's schedule. We need the DVDs. I think they're going to be dropping Diagnosis Murder soon, too. [​IMG]

8. HarrietJ

HarrietJ Auditioning

Note to Greg_S_H and Home Theater Forum. Thank you for your latest update.

To all fans of EARLY EDITION who need the show on DVD, you can search currently running Chicago Tribune - Maureen Ryan - Watcher column titled What? No DVD. There are at least 31 requests for EE on DVD and at bottom of column, YOU can add your request for EE dvd. No registration is required.

PLEASE. Thank you.

Harriet

9. ChrisCook

ChrisCook Screenwriter

I watched the last two episodes of "Grey's Anatomy" with Kyle Chandler, and I wished this show was on DVD, but then I snap back to reality because unfortunately Sony owns the rights to this series. Like I said up above I wish Sony would license "Early Edition" to Image. With him being in two high-profile projects (that and "King Kong"), he also has been cast in the series pilot of the film "Friday Night Lights" (though I've never seen the film), somewhere down the line this show has to come.

10. Stephen Lilley

Stephen Lilley Stunt Coordinator

I was a *huge* EARLY EDITION fan back in the day. I was eleven years old, so maybe that played a part, but still. I can remember religiously watching the show for many years. I don't know that I'd necessarily buy it... but hell, I'd at the very least give it a rent.

11. LarryH

LarryH Supporting Actor

I'd love to have this on DVD. The Pax (or i) presentation on both satellite and cable had such poor video quality it looked like VHS at SLP (EP) speed.

This is a fun and "feel-good" show that should find a wide audience if released on DVD.

12. ChrisCook

ChrisCook Screenwriter

"Early Edition" is no longer on i. I've been wondering why I keep seeing "Doc" on my guide, so I finally went over to their website. This has got to be the worst time too, as "King Kong" (Kyle Chandler plays "Bruce Baxter" in the film) was released last week on DVD with record-breaking sales for Universal. In the meantime, if you haven't already seen Kyle in "King Kong", rent or "blind buy" it. He's does a terrific job in his role as "Bruce Baxter", and "King Kong" is a really good film.

From i's FAQ page:

13. ChrisCook

ChrisCook Screenwriter

I'm bumping this up to encourage all "Early Edition" and Kyle Chandler fans to let Shout! Factory know you want this series on DVD. Brian Ward responded yesterday and said "it's certainly worth looking into" because of "Friday Night Lights". Provided they can get the licensing rights, I personally would love for them to release it. Since Brian also reads HTF, I'm also bumping this up so he can read it.

Or if you rather, you can also add your words of encouragement on this thread over at their community forum. It's free to register, if you haven't already.

http://www.shoutfactory.com/community/471/thread.aspx

And don't forget to watch tonight for Season 2 of "Friday Night Lights".

14. ChrisCook

ChrisCook Screenwriter

15. Greg_S_H

Greg
    Cool. Thanks to you and Dave for the word. Great show and missed from the Ion TV lineup. This was my introduction to Coach Taylor.

16. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

At least on DVD you should get them unedited. [​IMG]

I got to see this show in repeats myself and was really charmed by it. A lot of good ideas and fun characters kept this show sustained beyond the simple premise of a guy who gets tomorrow's newspaper. Loved all the episodes with Gary's parents.

17. Regulus

Regulus Cinematographer

William Hughes

18. Sammy-G

Sammy-G Stunt Coordinator

Fabulous news! I haven't seen it since it aired on CBS so I can't wait...

19. WhitneyG

WhitneyG Stunt Coordinator

Whitney
    This is the first bit of DVD news that has me really excited in a long time (other than the surprise return to Sliders by Universal). At first, I was just hoping this will sell well enough for another season, but given its status on the voting section of TVShowsOnDVD, I think that's quite likely. I expect the first season will be uncut; there might be a little music here and there, but I don't recall anything standing out (though my memory could be failing due to not seeing it for a long time).

However, assuming this sells well enough to make it further in the series, I'm a little more worried about the second and fourth seasons. A second season episode, Hot Time in the Old Town, featured a digitally inserted Rod Serling providing closing narration Twilight Zone style (as part of CBS's 50th anniversary week). This scene was later cut in syndicated runs and replaced with an alternate ending. Ideally, both versions should be included when the time comes for the second season, be it by seamless branching or by including one as an extra. As for the fourth and final season, it originally featured a new opening credits segment, featuring the song "Time" by the Camber Brothers. It too was cut in syndication (resulting in the previous years' theme being played to the video clips chosen to work with the new music) and could be another infamous music licensing issue.

Regardless, whatever they give us will be a vast improvement over the years of syndicated runs on PAX/ION. I don't know if it was the network's fault or Dish Network's fault, but the audio was never synchronized with the video on that channel and it irritated me to no end. Had the same problem with Mysterious Ways...

20. ChrisCook

ChrisCook Screenwriter

Yeah, they did use music here and there. There's a memorable scene in the first season that immediately comes to mind where Chuck is singing "Y.M.C.A" in the shower in "Jury Duty" that is both hilarious and can't be missed.

Here's a list of music used over the course of the series. Please note that some episodes are incomplete, and she no longer updates the site except for something that is noteworthy - like news of DVDs. Also, this link is mainly to the FAQ section of her site.

Early Edition FAQ

Also of note, the second episode of the first season has an alternate opening compared to the rest of the season, complete with voiceover. I've even seen it air in syndication.

I share your concern with the second season episode "Hot Time in the Old Town" and the fourth season's original opening credit/theme. Beyond those, I'm not going to settle for anything less. I would like to see (and I know we're talking CBS here) an effort to produce/or provide bonus materials.