What's new

Avril Lavigne free custom covers for her DVD singles (1 Viewer)

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I've made a pair of ThinPak cover art for Avril Lavigne's two DVD-singles. The DVDs came in jewel cases as if they were CDs, but I know some people besides myself prefer ThinPaks (the new slim DVD cases).

So each cover - front back and spine - has been scanned then reworked to fit the vertical composition of a DVD case.

Both of these ThinPak covers are zipped into the same file; 3.59 MB total; high speed connection or great patience reccomended:

http://www.beyondcommunion.com/demo/avrillavigne.zip

Here's the details, in case you want to know what I did:

On the LOSING GRIP dvd single, to adjust the front cover to a vertical I tracked down the original photo to extend the bottom a bit more. Worked well enough.

On the I'M WITH YOU dvd I went back to the original photo also, this time to restore the color - don't worry, I kept it looking arty...but I couldn't abide by the green tint they'd used originally. If you'd previously received this cover from me via email several months ago, be advised, you may want it again since this restored color is new as of today!

Also, on the LOSING GRIP dvd, I added a second photo of Avril to the back cover - a photo from the same concert as the pic used on the front (I went to an Avril photo archive and located the correct show by matching the t-shirt she wore that night). I'm most proud of this change because it looks like it was always there.

So hopefully this adds some interest - maybe makes them even better than the originals.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I know, I know, but she sings the Matrix's songs so well, you have to give her credit for being one of the best contract players out there now!

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor
I haven't seen any ThinPaks in any stores I go to. (I'll check again) but I would prefer normal keepcase covers. Would it be a lot of work for you to resize the spine to fit normal keepcases?

I have the Losing Grip/Sk8er Boi DVD Single along with Pink's Family Portrait/Don't Let Me Get Me which is also in a normal CD Case and they really look bizarre on my shelf.

My only beef with it is why did they put the soundtrack in 224kbps DD?!?!?! Previous DVD Singles from the same company that I have (Dildo's Here With Me, Pink's Most Girl/There You Go) were in 1536kbps PCM Stereo. It's not like the disk is running low on space as to reduce the audio track's space. Or if they really wanted to use DD they could have used 448kbps (Maybe a 5.1 remix while they're at it!). Other than that, great disks.

(I'll look for the Losing Grip one to complete my Avril collection)

Someone farted in this thread!
all that work for Avril...
Some people here like what she does so don't make stupid comments like that. I prefer Amy Studt (The British Avril Lavigne) to Avril, but the Cdn Avril is good too.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Sorry but I'm overworked. But since the front and back are exactly the same (only the spine size is slimmer on a ThinPak), you should be able to tweak the spine width easily enough. Just use a normal blank keepcase template from www.dvdcoverart.com to guide you.

I've just heard on another thread that...

Walmart sells 6-packs of clear ThinPaks for $3.84.

Or get them online from various vendors for pennies.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
FYI, those covers are now being hosted by dvdcoverart.com so they aren't available from my server anymore.

But I resurrected this thread just to mention that I saw a tape of the Buffalo New York show which will comprise the bulk of the November 4 concert DVD release, "My World".

The concert in raw form was broadcast on Canadian television in July, albeit in what I presume was rough form. For the DVD, it will be augmented by other material, evidently including some performances from other shows.

Which is, in a word, fortunate. The raw Buffalo concert as broadcast on CTV was not the most elaborate taping I've ever seen. Actually it was very run of the mill as far as concert films go. By that I mean, not very creative camera positions - bad angles you could sense the camerapeople struggling with - and cliched direction. I can only hope they had more coverage than what was initially aired, and can perhaps turn this into something better. This is only about on par with Sheryl Crow's DVD, and no where near as sophisticated a recording as the Eurythimcs Peace Tour DVD, for example.

Don't get me wrong, I'll still get the DVD when it comes out, because there's nothing wrong with it, it is simply that it is such an average concert recording in terms of the video work. Which was really suprising to me given how much money the label has put behind this performer.

The music is fine, though there's some half-embarassing moments, like Avril playing rythm guitar (I'm sure she can, but perhaps not so well when she's in the middle of a concert), and the band hoping up and down. And two people pulled up on stage to sing along who could not sing - nor clap in rythm for that matter (you could sense the director trying to cut them out of the shots as best he could). Audience reaction shots were terrifying, in the sense that a sea of 13 year olds with braces were in full force in the front row. Yikes.

Altogether, I will be really interested to see how the DVD turns out.

I kept wishing, as I watched this concert film, that if only they could have secured the people who record U2's shows to have done theirs... which led me to wishing that U2 would have sat in as the band for Avril. Which I know would never happen, but one can wish.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
And two people pulled up on stage to sing along who could not sing
Well, that's pretty much a given though. Of all the live performances of Complicated I've seen so far, if the kids could at least remember the lyrics it was already an above-standard performance. :) Funnily enough it's usually the guys who mess up, but who can blame them. :D

Can't wait for the DVD, btw.

Chris

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Mark, it's a DVD of her Buffalo concert from earlier this year, I think. It also includes all of her videos and other behind-the-scenes extras. Although it is a 2-disc set, it's not a 2-DVD set. The 2nd disc is just a 5 or 6 song CD sampler with remixes of some of her songs, I believe.

But what may be of more interest to people about the upcoming DVD is that it's the first release from a recent agreement signed between FOX Home Entertainment and Arista, where FOXHE will be distributing Arista music DVDs. No other discs have been announced from the agreement yet AFAIK.

Sergio Martorel

Second Unit
The only way for Avril to earn my respect is when she STOP saying she´s punk. Even Johnny Rotten made fun of her when she said she was "the Sid Vicious of her generation".

Avril Lavigne is NOT A PUNK. She´s not even a real rebel, crognabbitt!

Jake Johnson

Second Unit
is it just me, or is a dvd of Avril just useless? She's so real. Man, i wish I could be as real as she is. I hope this doesn't make way for a dvd of the even punkier and real Hilary Duff. I wet my pants with anticipation.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Ignoring the thread farts (surprised it took so long), the audio CD doesn't contain remixes but this:

(All info taken from DVD Times)

6 Song Bonus CD including 4 never-before-released tracks

1. Fuel - audio master from MTV Icon performance
2. Basket Case - recorded live from Dublin
3. Unwanted - recorded live from Dublin
4. Sk8er Boi - recorded live from Dublin
5. Knockin' on Heaven's Door - recorded live from Buffalo
6. Why - B side track that appears on the UK commercial single for Complicated released)

The DVD contains, this:

- Full Screen
- DD5.1 Surround & DD2.0 Stereo
- "Try to Shut Me Up Tour, Buffalo NY" concert (68:35)
- "Avril's Cut" behind-the-scenes featurette (38:51 min)
- Outtakes (2:17 min)
- Photos (28)
- 5 music videos
I'm With you
Sk8er Boi
Complicated
Losing Grip
Knocking on Heaven's Door

Chris

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I read an interview with Avril in Rolling Stone Magazine a while ago that was pretty entertaining. Like that she's "punk" but had never heard of the Ramones, the Sex Pistols, or the Clash until a band member made her a tape of them. Also, she claims to have written the songs, but then the "co-writers" responded in a seperate interview that they had written songs like "Complicated" years before they met Avril - they said a specific example of Avril's "co-writing" was taking a complete song like "Complicated" and changing a line from "Take off all your dressy clothes" to "Take off all your preppy clothes."

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Stop with the bashing, everyone knows that Avril's persona is a mixture of artificial and inaccurate - and that it is mostly the company line, who debated whether to market her as adult or teenybob, and decided to run with teenybop. That persona can't be shed until she matures into her own artist.

The fact is she's a great singer - even absent advanced production techniques, as I can say having heard some recordings of her pre-fame singing - her singing at a wedding, I think. Her singing talent, and the catchy writing and production of the Matrix, is what appeals to me - not the plastic. Who cares about that.

When she's older, I am sure she will look back on her youthful comments and say she didn't know what she was talking about. I expect she'll one day write her own songs, and be a bit different than today!

But she deserves the slack that any newbie should be cut, when they're first starting to realize independence. Her beleiving that she's identified "punk" as an example of similarly minded independent people is of course wrong, but millions of freshmen college students with Sex Pistols CDs are as wrong, too, and they'll continue to identify with different role models until they come to recognize themselves.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I've yet to hear any of Avril's singing that has impressed me, either on the studio recordings or the live performances on TV. I'm not saying this girl can't sing, she's competent, but I've heard nothing that suggests greatness.

On the other hand, I do give her credit along with her producers, writers and record label for coming up with some of the catchiest pop in ages. I might not like it, but once you hear one of those songs, it stays in your head for days on end.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I've yet to hear any of Avril's singing that has impressed me, either on the studio recordings or the live performances on TV. I'm not saying this girl can't sing, she's competent, but I've heard nothing that suggests greatness.
Why does she need to be a great singer? Some people enjoy her for her music. I will admit that I won't put her in the same category as the top female artists out there, but as long as she can sing, I'm a fan.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I'm impressed that they picked someone who can sing at all. I thought that was no longer a criteria, you just have to look like you could appear in Hustler, and be able to dance. So she's a nice change of pace from that sort of hype, certainly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks