What's new

avr5803 or go for the new ref50? (1 Viewer)

steve. m

Auditioning
I am really having a hard time deciding between the denon and the new b&k ref 50 . I have a denon avr-3600 set up to my definitive technology BP2006Tl set up .I shopped around and I know i can get the 5803 from an authorized dealer for 3250.The B&K ref 50 with their new 125.7 amp through the Internet(probably gray market) for 3700.I am looking for a great sounding home theater and i really don't use it too much for music.The price is pretty close and I just want to get the best sound out of my home theater.The idea of separates sounds nice,but I don't have any experience going that route.

Yogi

Screenwriter
The separates route will definetly have edge over the receiver route. For (5.1) HT I have found the 307 and 5803 very close with the 307 being a little smoother and a tad more dynamic. For 2 channel the 307 was a step above the 5803. The reason I am talking about a comparison between the 307 and the 5803 is that the ref 50 + 125.7 can only be better than the 307 so you are sure to gain in performance by going the separates route. Of course all this depends on the speakers and room acoustics more than anything else. So it would be wise to choose based on your own listening experience. For HT I dont think you can wrong with either.

Also remember with separates you can upgrade your processor while keeping the amp the same. So separates make more sense atleast to me in the long run.

My 2 cents.

Elbert Lee

Supporting Actor
I have the 5803, but I believe that the B&K is just slightly smoother for some of the more critical 2 channel listening. I attribute this to the amp. Processing-wise, I would give the edge to the Denon 5803. Because I use an external 5 channel amp, I take this aspect out.
I've used the B&K separates in the past as well as the REF30. I have found that the B&K products that I had were a bit more sensitive to ac and I've had problems with noise and other small bugs. In the end, I went back to the more "stable" Denon.

Elbert

Chip E

Screenwriter
Yo Elbert,

More stable ? gimmie a break. And yea, i have a 5803 and had a 307. There are no stability issues, lol... My Ref50 comes in Tuesday.
Maybe you should have your electric looked at by an electrician.

steve. m

Auditioning
so even if I go with a B&K amp rated at 125 wattts a channel.Their new 125.7 amp with balanced outputs it would be better sounding then a denon with a 170 watts ?

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
Steve,
I wouldn't worry too much about those power ratings. I'd be willing to bet a good chunk of change that the B&K amp would be more than a match for the 5803's internal amps. Remember, receiver maker's have to make some compromises when trying to fit everything into one unit. The B&K amp is just that, all amp. I have owned several amps and receiver's and i have never found a receiver(even one with a higher power rating) that bested a good external amp. As you have probably guessed, my vote goes for the B&K.

Good Luck,
Dalton

steve. m

Auditioning
Thanks Dalton.Now i am really leaning towards the B&K set up.How important is balanced outputs on an amp for home heater sound?Would it be better to buy a balanced amp or something with more power without the balanced outputs?

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
Steve,
I haven't used an amp with balanced outputs before. I don't think they are gonna make a huge difference but maybe someone can chime in and say otherwise. Going with a more powerful amp is certainly something to consider. I would say that if you don't plan to really push your system hard than the 125.7 will be more than enough. I'm sure it will be quite loud in it's own right.
Good Luck,
Dalton
P.S.
I would be very interested on hearing what you think of the Ref50 if you get it:)

Yogi

Screenwriter
Their new 125.7 amp with balanced outputs it would be better sounding then a denon with a 170 watts ?
You bet. Remember the 5803 only tested at 118W/ch with all channels driven. The B&K 7270 OTOH tested at 214 W/channel with all channels driven when its rated at 200W/ch. So you can bet that the 125.7 will put out atleast 125W/ch with all channels driven. The 125.7 will sound more powerful and dynamic compared to the 5803 IMHO.

Elbert Lee

Supporting Actor
"YO, Chip" - sorry to offend - did not intend to shake your confidence in the product, but my electricity is fine. AC outlets was checked and certified by an electrician. I'm just reporting MY experience with the B&K and why I ended up choosing the Denon. I'm sure that you unit will turn out ok.
I've been a loyal B&K customer for almost 6 years. I've been through their separates and love their great customer service. I've had unit completely because of the bugs early on in their first few processor (3090, 4090, Ref 20) - all had digital lock problems, which had nothing to do with AC (didn't feel the need to get into detail about this one because it wasn't relevant to this thread). However, as I moved from each B&K product to the nexst, I've always had one issue or another.
As a consumer, I tend to remain loyal to brand, especially with a company like B&K that takes care of its customers. With the 307, which I had on loan from my dealer, I've had some minor noise issues that was not apparent on the Denon 5800 and 5803- The unit, by itself, sounded great. However, my "minor" issue with it was that, because of its tremendous transformer, it might have been more sensitive to voltage fluctuations (unavoidable in my area) than the Denon, therefore, it produced some noise. I've had one or two instances of digital dropouts, but otherwise, the 307 was relatively bug free.
FOR MYSELF, I went with the Denon for features and, because I was using and external amp, the Denon runs much cooler than the B&K. Since, I'm only using the internal amps for the SB channels, the B&K tended to get very hot since I wasn't discharging it by using it's amps to run my mains, which, definitely require 250w+.

That's a detailed account of how I moved from B&K to Denon (started with Denon in the earlier years) Not knocking B&K, but the 307 wasn't the right fit for me. Like I said, by itself, the B&K had better amps and it's AC current draw specs show that it definitely uses more power than the Denon to drive its amps. But, as you can see, I will not benefit from this. As a processor, for HT and for most music, I prefer the Denon over the B&K, which fits me just perfect
Elbert

steve. m

Auditioning
Ok so what would be a better deal for an amp,going with the new 125.7 ($1300) or going with a used 7250 for somewhere between 1300-1500.I am trying to keep to a budget and i am not really sure that i will be adding any more speakers to my 5.1 sysytem. I would like to but it was hard enough convincing the wife to allow the speakers i have now!!!!

KeithR

Second Unit
Why the B&K amps? They aren't that great for the money imho. Go take a look at the Sherbourn 5/1500...1200 bucks street for 200x5 mono construction. Massive current, massive heat sinks. The reviews at WR and HT seem to complement, and hopefully they speak the truth.

FWIW-I just ordered one with the Ref 50 and will get it this week. I can help you with an authorized dealer if you need it btw on any of the pieces mentioned at pricing that will fit your budget.

Users who are viewing this thread