AVR520 will NOT auto detect digital / analog?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Skyler, Jul 20, 2003.

1. Skyler

Skyler Stunt Coordinator

I bought this pup last night at CC open box for $309, not a scratch. No manual or zone 2 remote though. What's KILLING ME is it won't auto detect from my SA cable box. Most channels are analog audio, which I would want to be PL II or Logic 7. The premiums are DD 5.1 or DD 2.1. I am having to MANUALLY switch all this around. Needless to say, this is crazy! Am I missing something? Hell, most entry level units do this!
    [​IMG]

2. Greg Thomas

Greg Thomas Second Unit

3. PaulT

PaulT Supporting Actor

Skyler,

There may be nothing wrong with the receiver. I have an Onkyo 696 which auto detects the incoming signals 'except' when I plug in Analog and DD out of my Motorola cable box (DCT2000HT I think, but I'm not home now).

I also have to manually switch from the Analog (normal channels) to Digital i/p's of my receiver for 'Digital Channels'.

What I have determined is - the cable box always sends some kind of digital 'carrier' out of the SPDIF connection - even when you are tuned to Analog channels. The carrier may contain absolutely no data, but the receiver senses the signal and believes it has a DD i/p and locks to the digital input (therefore you hear no sound).

Does that sound like what you are experiencing or have you had it working on another receiver?

4. Skyler

Skyler Stunt Coordinator

I immediately downloaded the arcane manual last night. It is fairly cryptic in this regard. I am having to toggle between coax 2 and analog via my cable hooked to the video 2 input on the HK. My old Sony ES auto-detected, as did my Yamaha AVR. My current Rotel RSP-1066 in my HT does it as well.

5. PaulT

PaulT Supporting Actor

Interesting....my Onkyo Manual says it will auto detect, and it will for everything but my cable box. I also am switching manually between Coax 2 and Analog Inputs. Maybe there is something 'lacking' in the auto detect circuitry and it is grabbing whatever is being sent out of the DD output of the cable box, even though no 'audio' signal is actually present.

I'll keep following this thread, maybe someone can help us both out here. It's been driving me nuts for about 6 months now.

6. JohnSer

JohnSer Stunt Coordinator

$309 is a great price. HK520 Refurbs from HarmanAudio are still going for over $400 on Ebay. I paid around $500 last December, new from OneCall. It does have a few quirks, but overall I am happy with the unit. Maybe $$ saved will help the pain of manually setting the inputs [​IMG]

JohnS

7. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

I went through the same problem with the HK 520, I got rid of for that reason. I ended up buying an AVR-325 from onecall.com for $428. I was only using them as pre/pro's, and didn't expect much difference between the sound, however, to my surprise the 325 was tremendously better(keep in mind this is as a pre/pro, I didn't really test the internal amps).

What Greg said is correct, the newer AVR325 and 525 will auto detect on the Video 2 input. I use it on the AVR325 I own and I tested it on a 525 at CC.