AVR520 question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Allen Longcor, Jun 17, 2002.

1. Allen Longcor

Allen Longcor Supporting Actor

I've read you can reassign the internal amps if you have your own amp.

So if I had a 2 channel amp for the mains, and I only had 5 speakers, could I assign all 5 internal amps to the three remaining speakers that need power?

Regardless of the answer above, how exactly do you reassign the internal amps.

2. AntonS

AntonS Stunt Coordinator

It probably works the same way as on my AVR8000. The preamp outputs are brought out to the back of the unit, where they are jumpered to the inputs of the amps with metal jumpers. Remove the jumpers, and you'll have totally separate pre/pro section and separate 5 channel amp. With both you can do whatever you want.

3. John_VI

John_VI Second Unit

As far as I know, the amps are NOT bridgable. So you cannot convert the 5-ch amp in the 520 to a 2- or 3-channel amp.

4. Lando P

Lando P Agent

I have an AVR-510 and I'm using a Rotel RMB-1066 for the fronts. I believe the 510 and 520 have the same pre-amp output/amplifier input functions.

If you take out the jumper pin, no information will be passed on to whichever channel without the pin. Since the mains are the most demanding of all channels, if you add a 2-channel amp for the mains you would be relieving the receiver the most part of its work to drive the main speakers and will be diverted to rest of the channels.

You will still have 75 watts (70 watts on the 510) of power per channel for the other 3 speakers but more current. Therefore you would still notice an improvement in your center and surrounds.

5. Allen Longcor

Thanks for the info.

6. Allen Longcor

Also, what ohm speakers can the unit handle? I may not have an amp with it at first, will it take 4 or 6 ohm speakers effectively?

7. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Most H/K's can handle down to 2 Ohm load in two or three channel Stereo with no problem so I wouldn't worry. Your 520 will handle a 4 Ohm 5.1 setup without breaking a sweat.

8. Bryce

Bryce Stunt Coordinator

I just got received a 520 from Ubid yesterday and have looked through the manual several times but can't seem to find anything about renaming the inputs. Does anyone know how or if this can be done?

9. Steve K.H.

Steve K.H. Supporting Actor

I think one of the best set ups for the 520 is to take the hugely affordable 855-A and...
    -biamp four of the outputs to your front mains
    -use the last output for your center
    and use the 4 of the 5 internal amps for the rears (all FOUR of them)
    Suddenly you have 7.1, with an externally amplified front soundstage. Too easy. [​IMG]

10. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter