What's new

Avr520 -> Avr525 (1 Viewer)

Bob-E

Auditioning
I was interested in purchasing a new receiver,like the AVR520 or something similar. My questions is, does anyone know if this is going to be replaced by a new model like an AVR525? Just trying to figure out if I should wait or not before buying. :D

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
Yep 525...
As far as the rest of your question... might as well take a number (you ain't alone):D

Doug Brewster

Second Unit
The answer to your question lies somewhere between $650 and $1100. The 520 is now available at a substantial discount. The 525 will probably not be significantly discounted for quite awhile. If you have $1000+ to spend on a receiver, it should be worth the wait. The 520 does not do Dolby EX. Some people see this as a big problem, others don't.

henning hoffmann

Stunt Coordinator
www.onecall.com has some info on the 525! Just go there and do a search for AVR525.
Cool stuff.
It even seems to suggest that it'll apply full Logic 7 to 5.1 sources! I hope that's true.
I'm a bit confused by what it says about bass management for DVD-A and SACD. It says "Bass Manager (Digital) for DVD Audio and SACD". Does that mean it converts the 5.1 analog input to digital before doing bass management?
It doesn't say anything about pre-outs/main-ins. I hope that's there...
Henning

Jeffrey R

Stunt Coordinator
It even seems to suggest that it'll apply full Logic 7 to 5.1 sources! I hope that's true.
Out of curiousity, what makes you think that this is true from the description. I see it says "Logic 7 5.1 & 7.1", but I don't think that is anything different from the AVR520 which has Logic 7 for 5.1 and 7.1 setups. It doesn't say that the Logic 7 will work with 5.1 sources. This is not to say that the 525 won't have that capability, I just don't see that suggestion in the description.

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
Damn, One Calls specs on the 325 say the exact same thing. And from what the manual says for the 325, that means the 525 won't be applying L7 to anything above two channel.

Damn 8P

henning hoffmann

Stunt Coordinator
Jeffrey, I thought maybe the description you mentioned suggested it.

Maybe the AVR7200 (mentioned in the Twice article linked in the other thread) has it.

Jeffrey R

Stunt Coordinator
I understand--these descriptions get pretty cryptic at times. It would obviously be cool if it had this, but trust me, I have a vested interest in the 525 only having minimal upgrades since I just bought a 520 a few weeks ago, and don't want to regret not waiting. Having said that, it looks like the 525 has Dolby Digital EX, 7 channels of amplification, bass management for SACD and DVD-Audio, and more crossover options. Fortunately, I would only really care about the bass management, but not enough to pay so much more than what I paid for the 520.

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
The DD-EX and Firewire are very fine features... enough that I will be trading my 520 up...
With a 7.1 speaker setup, even a matrixed Dolby Digital is a bonus. I won't have to whine and complain about certain software not available in DTS.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.