What's new

AVR430 vs 45tx (1 Viewer)

Ken_Chengr

Grip
Could someone offer an opinion?

I had a terrible experience trying to buy an AVR430 over the internet. The unit looked like someone had used it as a trampoline. Actually, it was probably dropped, since the weight distibution is quite unbalanced.

Anyway, I have a 13x13 theater carved out of a 25x22 L shaped basement. I'm currently using an loaned ancient Pioneer Elite Pro Logic receiver to power my Rocket ELT and I've saved enough to get something modern.

I have about $500 and since I'm cheap, I want to get as much as possible via the internet.

No one sells all of the units I'm looking at, so I've auditioned them seperately.
Onkyo 701 vs AVR430. I don't know what speakers. I liked the AVR430.
53tx vs 3803 vs 1400. KEF bookshelves. I preferred the 53tx, it seemed more open and natural. I did not like the 1400 at all.

So now that I've returned the 430, I've started covetting the 53tx, but I just can't find it for a price I can live with. While listening at a local store, I saw an open box 45tx available. They want more than I have, but they might deal on a 2 year old open box. Will the 45tx sound like the 53tx? Same MCCAC(sic)? If I go 45tx, will I lose anything useful vs the 430? I don't need 7.1, but I'd like to be able to assign the rears to zone 2 as in the 430.

Thanks,
Ken

ChrisYK

Stunt Coordinator
I think I saw a similar post over on AVS :D
Bottom line: Trust your ears.

I also don't think that a bad buying experience should eliminate the 430 from your short list. If you liked the way it sounded and the price was right, why not stick with it?

Ken_Chengr

Grip
Thanks Chris. Gotta cover all my bases:b The big problem for us E-buyers, we don't get to use our ears!

I have nor eliminated the 430, but the next cheapest places to get it are on Ebay and 2/3 look like they use the same distributor as my ill fated purchase. If I could keep everyone from bidding to darn much for the HK store items, I'd be set!

Btw, that signature is very distasteful. I'd use my favorite team too, but they're a once proud midwest team now regularly beaten by UM and the rest of the Big 10! Don't tell me you're a Wings fan too? Looks like they're getting "Giggied" again.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Ken,

Is there any reason why the new "914" from Pioneer isn't on your list? Granted, it's not an "Elite" receiver, but it still might be worth checking out.

Ken_Chengr

Grip
I've looked at the 914, but I think it's lacking 2nd zone and isn't the MCACC a limited version? I don't see MCACC as a necesssity, but it's one of the biggest pluses for Pioneer. If it's not the "real thing"("light" like the 5760) the Pioneer falls way off.

There's also a thought in my mind that the $500 MSRP receivers are not a great value. They sell for 65%-75% of their MSRP, while I can get a $900 receiver for 50%-60%. I could be all wet, but I just think I'll get a better value going up the feature/power scale.

What's the scoop on the 1014k? I've seen mention, but I can't find it at Pioneer.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
The 912's MCACC does distance and level settings only, won't do the graphic equalization of the Elite models, like the 45 and 53tx.

The 45TX for $500ish is a tremendous value. The MCACC feature is really well worth getting the full version of, especially if your speaker or room acoustics are less than perfect. Make sure that open box includes the original remote, owner's manual, and the calibration mic. that comes with the reciever. This was originally an msrp $1495 receiver. I got one about a year and a half ago new from an internet retailer for $850 shipped and would pay that again right now. The 53tx's improvements over the 45 are minimal.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
McLane class of '68 here, aging slowly in the mummifying Fresno sun.

One warning about the 45tx--it doesn't like 4 ohm speakers. Other than that it's a brick. Since the one you're looking at is open box, be sure you can return it in case the original owner messed it up.

Ken_Chengr

Grip
I'm going back to the store tomorrow. Who know's it might be gone. 4 of the speakers are 8 ohm and the center is 6, so I don't think that would be a problem.

Drew_W

Screenwriter
Grab the 45. You'll fall in love. Trust me. I love my 53, and you'll love your 45. Keep us posted.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks